S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Gold

Old 03-21-2023, 06:06 AM

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,324 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
250k is a small amount to guarantee for many individuals and small business. I heard one CPA say that you should limit the amount you have in any given bank to less than 250k. That sound like a nightmare to me. What do you think?
Maybe it is time to raise the coverage, it was 100k for awhile not sure what is was before that or for how long.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:07 AM

Received 3,794 Likes on 2,674 Posts

250k is a small amount to guarantee for many individuals and small business. I heard one CPA say that you should limit the amount you have in any given bank to less than 250k. That sound like a nightmare to me. What do you think?
In Canada it is $100,000 per institution one has money invested with. You basically have to deal with multiple institutions and investment companies to cover everything you may have over $100,000 so no one place is holding more than $100k. The insurance isn't based on per person though so that is good, you could get millions insured if you have it spread over 10+ institutions.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:37 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

It's either that or buy metals and stash it. At least that way I know it's secure. My stepfather instilled in me don't buy anything you can't make 25% on. I try to follow his strategy.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:40 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

It's either that or buy metals and stash it. At least that way I know it's secure. My stepfather instilled in me don't buy anything you can't make 25% on. I try to follow his strategy.
Did he die a billionaire? I have a meeting a few minutes with a financial advisor, what do think he would say if I told him that?
Old 03-21-2023, 06:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,009 Likes on 587 Posts

Then, do you not buy much?
Old 03-21-2023, 07:02 AM
Jub

Received 418 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Maybe it is time to raise the coverage, it was 100k for awhile not sure what is was before that or for how long.
If they want to raise the coverage, it should be voted on and not done by fiat. I have serious issues with doing it under crisis also. Bad decisions are made in crisis and at some point, banks need to be able to fail so that they have an incentive not to fail.

Originally Posted by Honda 367
So then, who will end up footing the bill?

Where is accountability and personal responsibility? I never complained when I lost money with my poor decisions but when you are big tech, I guess Fed has your back.
The American tax payer or everyone who owns dollars will pay the bill, which are roughly the same audience. The gov. does not have money. It takes from the people through taxes or inflation. They can say it's not coming out of taxpayer money but it's all the same thing in terms of taking away American's purchasing power.

Completely agree that continuously papering over bank failures does not solve the problem. I don't want the depositors to all lose money necessarily but there has to be some accountability for the bank. If not, banks are then incentivized to have speculative investments because they can count on being bailed out. That, theoretically, will increase the cycles of failure.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Thankfully the US taxpayer is going to be on the hook for this so some bailout is eminent according to Biden. He tried to settle fears on this quickly by making an announcement.
I was confused and angry at your first statement, then I looked at your location... lol. I'm sure that waking up at the early hour of 9 am for a presser and bumbling about how everything is ok consoled everyone.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:16 AM

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,324 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I have a meeting a few minutes with a financial advisor, what do think he would say if I told him that?
He would say if you can guarantee me a 25 percent return sign me up.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:45 AM

FWIW He did very well.He was a publisher. There are college libraries, hospital wings, parks etc named after him. When my Mother married him I was already out of the house and in college. He once guaranteed a bank loan for me to start a business. Bank released his CD's 2 years later as I paid it off. I have stuck to that philosophy and it has worked well. He always found the best investment was himself. That's water long over the dam.
The following users liked this post:
robb (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 08:01 AM

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

The most of my metals are lead and copper.. and some stainless!
Old 03-21-2023, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by A.O.
The most of my metals are lead and copper.. and some stainless!
I see some brass in your avatar.

Quick Reply: Gold