S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Gardening! It's good for you!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 520 Likes on 308 Posts

I sure hope that driving around on a Garden Tractor mower is as well? I generally despise it as I view it like shaving, just a chore to be done for maintenance. I generally fire up my I-pod app on my I-phone and put painters tape over my ears to hold the ear buds in (as they do not fit into my ear's very well on their own). Then put on my shooting muffs (-29 DB) to mow.

The down side is that parts for my 1977 model Wheel Horse are getting hard to come by. It has a 10HP single cylinder engine that still fires right up and is just now starting to burn a bit of SAE30W. There are some things like cars that I am happy that they don't build them like they use to. On the other hand, this old Wheel Horse was built to last. It has grease fittings on the rack and pinion steering and even the dip stick is made from cast iron.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
I sure hope that driving around on a Garden Tractor mower is as well? I generally despise it as I view it like shaving, just a chore to be done for maintenance. I generally fire up my I-pod app on my I-phone and put painters tape over my ears to hold the ear buds in (as they do not fit into my ear's very well on their own). Then put on my shooting muffs (-29 DB) to mow.

The down side is that parts for my 1977 model Wheel Horse are getting hard to come by. It has a 10HP single cylinder engine that still fires right up and is just now starting to burn a bit of SAE30W. There are some things like cars that I am happy that they don't build them like they use to. On the other hand, this old Wheel Horse was built to last. It has grease fittings on the rack and pinion steering and even the dip stick is made from cast iron.
Well, I'm not sure driving around on a garden tractor is as good a "real gardening" or using a push mower, but if it relaxes you, that's a plus.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lainey
I have a few plants in containers but we do not have a porch or patio to view our plantings. I love my honey comb butterfly bush that is in a container that I can see from my front room. The heat here is so hard on the plants. I feel for them.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by plantpixie

Lainey
I have a few plants in containers but we do not have a porch or patio to view our plantings. I love my honey comb butterfly bush that is in a container that I can see from my front room. The heat here is so hard on the plants. I feel for them.
Where do you sit if you want to be outside? No deck?

I our rear deck. We have dinner out there often. Mom joined us last night for BBQ chicken and pasta salad and cukes from the garden. She really enjoys it as she has no outdoor space where she lives.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Lainey, I know it's , but have the theft problems at your mom's residence been solved?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Lainey, I know it's , but have the theft problems at your mom's residence been solved?
Never solved, but only the one additional break in. They had a meeting for the residents with the police. Residents were advised to be aware, keep windows locked and to use their deadbolts. Had Mom used her deadbolt, it likely would have prevented the theft. The police did not think it was an inside job (employees were cleared), it may have been visitors to one of the more residents. Obviously, someone knew her comings and goings. Apparently, the locks weren't that difficult to open if the deadbolts weren't used.

Maybe Mom was the first in what would have been a string of break ins but when folks started using deadbolts, the scum bags gave up.

Thanks for asking.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Today's take:

I'm not sure why the yellow ones are so far ahead of the others. The vines are so intertwined now it's hard to find the little Sweet 100s but so far I think I've gotten them all. I've picked a couple dozen of them and the yellows today make 7 so far. Looks like a bumper crop this year.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19
Today's take:

I'm not sure why the yellow ones are so far ahead of the others. The vines are so intertwined now it's hard to find the little Sweet 100s but so far I think I've gotten them all. I've picked a couple dozen of them and the yellows today make 7 so far. Looks like a bumper crop this year.
Excellent, good pic too!

I grabbed maybe a dozen cherry tomatoes this afternoon and a couple more cukes. Good eating!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 AM

Lainey asked: Where do you sit if you want to be outside? No deck?

We have a beautiful four season room with large paneless windows and sky lights. It's like sitting outside but no bugs!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by plantpixie
Lainey asked: Where do you sit if you want to be outside? No deck?

We have a beautiful four season room with large paneless windows and sky lights. It's like sitting outside but no bugs!
Paneless windows? If you have glass, don't you have to have panes?

My brother has a nice room like that, I would not mind one myself, but I still like to be outside on a deck or patio when weather permits.

Quick Reply: Gardening! It's good for you!