S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Garage Lighting

Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts
Default Garage Lighting

I have enjoyed running my detailing business in my Uncles huge garage at the beach but he sold his home due to health reasons. His primary home is in Wilmington. I put in several overhead fluorescent lights which provided good light. Now I am moving to my cousins garage which will need overhead lighting and I wonder if there is better lighting available before I start getting it ready. I do work for a realtor and he has a 15 car garage with sodium lighting which is awesome (like daylight). I don't know how LED lighting would be or if there are any other options. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I have enjoyed running my detailing business in my Uncles huge garage at the beach but he sold his home due to health reasons. His primary home is in Wilmington. I put in several overhead fluorescent lights which provided good light. Now I am moving to my cousins garage which will need overhead lighting and I wonder if there is better lighting available before I start getting it ready. I do work for a realtor and he has a 15 car garage with sodium lighting which is awesome (like daylight). I don't know how LED lighting would be or if there are any other options. Appreciate any suggestions.
Would like to know,too...
Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,638 Posts

Ray I have LED lighting in my kitchen and love it. ( and bedroom and office and bathrooms and... you get the idea)
There are LED options but it depends on how much $$$ you want to sink into it.
It's more expensive but the lighting quality ( CRI) is significantly better.
The nature of LED's are more directional so you need to select the right type.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I use T5 fluorescent fixtures. They have 6 lamps in each fixture and I have a mixture of 3500K and 4100K lamps which give me a better color rendition then just one type of lamp.

I have yet to find LED lamps for fluorescent fixtures that are truly cost effective. It won't be long before they are
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Ray I have LED lighting in my kitchen and love it. ( and bedroom and office and bathrooms and... you get the idea)
I just put a 75W LED in a kitchen light - it's in a globe and with the cheap China light bulbs these days it seemed like I was changing it every two months. The LED is "supposed" to last 16 years! Seems like it should for $14.

Ray, I'm like you. I want the best indoor garage lighting I can get. I think I've got something like 24 overhead fluorescent lights in my garage and then four corner ceiling lights as well. And I still want more when I'm doing mechanical or polishing down low. I find the halogen work lights too bright & hot. I bought a SMART 50 LED work light with a 2-1/4 adjustable magnet on the backside. I really use it a lot since it attaches to metal shelves, cabinets, vehicle frames, under the dash, etc...

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor-...796-c-7914.htm

I know this does not answer your question but I thought I would toss it out.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by boltonblue' timestamp='1416167815' post='23407208
I just put a 75W LED in a kitchen light - it's in a globe and with the cheap China light bulbs these days it seemed like I was changing it every two months. The LED is "supposed" to last 16 years! Seems like it should for $14.

Ray, I'm like you. I want the best indoor garage lighting I can get. I think I've got something like 24 overhead fluorescent lights in my garage and then four corner ceiling lights as well. And I still want more when I'm doing mechanical or polishing down low. I find the halogen work lights too bright & hot. I bought a SMART 50 LED work light with a 2-1/4 adjustable magnet on the backside. I really use it a lot since it attaches to metal shelves, cabinets, vehicle frames, under the dash, etc...

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor-...796-c-7914.htm

I know this does not answer your question but I thought I would toss it out.
Dave, I have some battery LED lights which are magnetized and flexible (will bend to any shape and fit under headrests) for interior work. The halogens are too hot. My friend thinks fluorescent lights not susceptible to cold are my best bet. One option I am working on is to barter a small space from the realtor who has a 15-20 car storage warehouse. I detail his cruising cars and show cars. He has sodium lighting, A/C, Heat, water, and a Urethane floor. Free details for a spot.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM

I think I found the garage lighting solution. Fluorescent lights above and LED lights on each side. The 16w LED lights (29.00) I picked up at Lowes are like having daylight in the garage and really illuminate the sides, front and back of the vehicle They can be mounted on a tripod or placed on a shelf. 20 year life so they won't need bulbs until I'm 90
Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Found this:

http://www.bigasslight.com/homes-shops/
Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

These are pricey, but offer excellent lighting.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...Picks&refType=
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I think I found the garage lighting solution. Fluorescent lights above and LED lights on each side. The 16w LED lights (29.00) I picked up at Lowes are like having daylight in the garage and really illuminate the sides, front and back of the vehicle They can be mounted on a tripod or placed on a shelf. 20 year life so they won't need bulbs until I'm 90
sounds like a good solution; let us know how it works out

Quick Reply: Garage Lighting