S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Garage Floor Finishes?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

...and my garage is built,on what used to be a "Car port",so the floor is Asphalt...
but, Iwould like to keep the floor clean,and good looking!!!

Any suggestions ???
Cheap suggestions,please;I'm not a rich American Guy;only a poor Canuck...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 5,799 Likes on 3,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Feb 1 2008, 09:51 PM
Any suggestions ???
I'd start with getting electricity first, so you can see the floor.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I went to a Prestige Garage showroom this afternoon to see color samples and was sold on their finish. I may change my mind when I give the DuraFloor guy a chance, but I doubt it. I ended up liking the 1/4 inch light beige Scottsdale finish since the garage doesn't get much natural light and I want a lighter floor. The owner in the Valencia store told me that their finish is polymers and better than DuraFloor that are epoxy and will have issues with the sun. The warranty on Prestige is 10 years vs. 7 years for DuraFloor.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyras,Feb 2 2008, 04:11 AM
...DuraFloor that are epoxy and will have issues with the sun. The warranty on Prestige is 10 years vs. 7 years for DuraFloor.
From what I understand, epoxy paints tend to yellow when exposed to direct sunlight. That's why my floor has a coat of clear polyurethane over the epoxy.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

That's what I've been told too. Of course that was by Prestige Garage, who is the competition. I was told that if the DuraFloor finish is outside the garage door, there will be a definite yellowing compared to the inside part when the door is up.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Feb 2 2008, 12:26 PM
That's what I've been told too. Of course that was by Prestige Garage, who is the competition. I was told that if the DuraFloor finish is outside the garage door, there will be a definite yellowing compared to the inside part when the door is up.
That raises the question of what to do with the 8" or so of garage floor that is outside the garage door. Since I was using a coat of clear polyurethane, I painted it. 1 year later it still looks the same, but sunlight (UV) can be relentless over time.

Has anyone used one of those fancy garage door thresholds? In the catalogs, they look like they would keep the rain and leaves from blowing in, but make it impossible to squegee the dirty water out the door when cleaning the floor. And believe me, when you park cars covered with snowy slush, the floors need to be cleaned periodically.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Feb 2 2008, 04:33 PM
Has anyone used one of those fancy garage door thresholds? In the catalogs, they look like they would keep the rain and leaves from blowing in, but make it impossible to squegee the dirty water out the door when cleaning the floor. And believe me, when you park cars covered with snowy slush, the floors need to be cleaned periodically.
Why not "cut" a section off of the threshold and directly attach that to the garage door?

<---->_______________________<---->

The above represents a 16' wide opening. The "_______" would be 14' and the "<---->" would be about 1' wide each (or as close to the size of your floor squeegee).

Attach the "<---->" to the BOTTOM of the garage door, allowing you to squeegee out any liquids/dirt, yet when it's closed, it sits flush with the 14' threshold section.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the rubber thresholds on my garage/shop and they work great! You can sweep or wash out dirt over the lip as they are only approx. 3/4" high and angle outward. The rubber gasket on my metal doors just did not keep out all the dirt, leaves and water that would blow underneath.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the response, Vanishing Point (an excellent movie, by the way). I've been close to purchasing before; I think your experience is the impetus I need to "just do it." I think it will work out well for me, since we leave the garage door open a lot, and the prevailing wind blows across a 25-ft concrete slab into our garage. Leaves, etc. blow in all the time.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kyras,Feb 2 2008, 05:11 AM
I went to a Prestige Garage showroom this afternoon to see color samples and was sold on their finish. I may change my mind when I give the DuraFloor guy a chance, but I doubt it. I ended up liking the 1/4 inch light beige Scottsdale finish.....The warranty on Prestige is 10 years vs. 7 years for DuraFloor.
.....that's a very attractive finish/ color.

With either finish, make sure that the $ quote includes floor prep that will keep the warranty in effect b/c sometimes the mfr can weasel out of a warranty on a 'technicality'. Get a copy of the wty in advance from both and compare them.

Btw, the warranty SHOULD be from the manufacturer....since the local contractor might be out of business (or have changed the name) in 7-10 years when you have a 'claim'

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Finishes?