S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Garage Floor Finishes?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years back, I did the kits from Home Depot. I spent all day cleaning, powerwashing, getting on my hands and knees with a wire brush scrubbing the oily spots. I taped off areas that I could not do easily (like around a water softener). I let the floors dry for 7 days before parking a car in the garage. My floors have held up great.

I can get out in the garage with hot soapy water and a broom and the floors look brand new afterwards.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=Kyras,Mar 21 2010, 06:27 PM]I don't think it's a good idea for anyone with a wet or snowy climate, anyway.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Are these floors slippery when wet? If I do mine, I'll probably only do half of the floor, let it dry for a week and than do the other half.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM

After receiving several sample tiles and mats from several different manufacturer's, I decided to go with the blue Armor floor tiles.

•100% SOLID PVC!
•NOT HOLLOWED CORED!
•NO PEG & LOOP CONNECTORS!
•WATER TIGHT SEAMS!
•GUARANTEED FOR 30 YEARS!
•RATED BEST BY U.S. ARMY!

I did get the Race Deck tile sample, but the hollow construction sounded like horses walking. Race Deck did tell me that they have "plugs" available for installation to dampen the sound, but that brought the cost of the floor to the same cost as the Armor and Armor IMO, is a better product and they have free shipping.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want pics when it is done.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Do any of the tiles come in a relatively smooth surface? I see all these tiles with raised ridges that would not work for me. I use floor jacks and creepers on my floor and need a surface that the small wheels will easily roll on.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 21 2010, 05:24 AM
Do any of the tiles come in a relatively smooth surface? I see all these tiles with raised ridges that would not work for me. I use floor jacks and creepers on my floor and need a surface that the small wheels will easily roll on.
Bill, they do sell flat floor's, but they only come in black and gray. The US Army uses this flooring in their machine shops. There is a photo on their website. I ordered the coin pattern in blue, so it will be about two weeks before I get the floor. I believe that once you see the sample of the product that you will be impressed. Go to the racedeck website also and ask them for a sample. It's like apples and oranges.

racedeck website: www.RaceDeck.com

Armor garage, their website is: http://armorgarage.com/arflti.html
definately a much more robust product.

The person who sold me my floor is James Olympios 1-305-705-1415. jim@armorgarage.com.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Apr 20 2010, 06:49 PM
I want pics when it is done.
I will definately send pictures! I spent alot of time cleaning up all of the holiday boxes in the garage and moved them to the attic. Now the garage only has "garage related" items. (tires/tools/jacks)

The wife's things are now OUT! (except for her bicycle and a very few other items)
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 791 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jan 30 2008, 09:46 AM
I just talked with the contractor who built the new house we bought -- insofar as it's brand new with a virgin (don't ask) garage floor, I thought an epoxy sealer would be a good idea.

He researched it and came up with the Quik-Crete kit. It includes cleaner, two-part (mix-'em) epoxy, and color chips. It's an oversized double garage, so he's getting three of the kits, which run about $80 apiece. With labor, it's going to run something like $900 altogether, he said.

I don't have any real experience with this, but he's a conscientious guy, if the finishing work in the house is any indication. I'm pretty sure that surface prep is the big deal with these things.

For what it's worth, I ran across other such kits on-line that ran as much as about $1 per square foot for material. I really have no idea of whether they're better, though. HPH
I did a friends one car garage floor in Naples Fla. with Quik Crete. The kit was $69.00 (Lowes) plus cost of roller and 2" brush. 1 kit did the one car garage with about a pint left over. Took me about 3 hours for ppep and painting. 2 kits may do it. He can always return 1 kit. Her garage floor was sealed so I sanded and applied TSP before using the kit. Came out great. She did not want the flakes. I used light grey which looked bluish and really lightened up the garage. I have the 2' X 2" interlocking tiles in pewter with a red accent. There are many color choices not just black/white. The tile floor installed was around $500. I would do your floor with Quick Crete for 1/2 of what your contractor is charging you. He is charging you too much in my opinion. You can do it yourself and save $$$. It is simple to prep and apply.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Finishes?