S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Gaming Consoles

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS3
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Well, I did go for the PS3 bundle that was offered by United Airlines and cashed in my miles for stuff including some 18 Volt tools and the Plant Pixie picked out some kitchen stuff and in the end we only lost 56 miles.

I have to state that I was "shocked and disappointed" that the Sony PS3 came with virtually no documentation on how to hook it up and the controls are NOT VERY intuitive (if one is over the age of five perhaps) Even the manual that I downloaded from the Sony web site is pretty vague on details.

The other disappointment was learning that the higher resolution (720 & 1080 P) out put from the PS3 is not possible with the cable that they provide with the PS3 which is only 480P. But, as it turned out that did not really matter as our older Samsung DLP TV does not have an HDMI connection even though it is capable of 1080P.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to interface the PS3 to our Samsung(at over 480P) and/or Sony Home Surround Sound System please PM me.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Well, I did go for the PS3 bundle that was offered by United Airlines and cashed in my miles for stuff including some 18 Volt tools and the Plant Pixie picked out some kitchen stuff and in the end we only lost 56 miles.

I have to state that I was "shocked and disappointed" that the Sony PS3 came with virtually no documentation on how to hook it up and the controls are NOT VERY intuitive (if one is over the age of five perhaps) Even the manual that I downloaded from the Sony web site is pretty vague on details.

The other disappointment was learning that the higher resolution (720 & 1080 P) out put from the PS3 is not possible with the cable that they provide with the PS3 which is only 480P. But, as it turned out that did not really matter as our older Samsung DLP TV does not have an HDMI connection even though it is capable of 1080P.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to interface the PS3 to our Samsung(at over 480P) and/or Sony Home Surround Sound System please PM me.

Thanks.
You can buy a DVI (I believe there is a DVI output on the back of the PS3)to component output cable to get it to 720P.

My advice is to buy a new TV just to get the HDMI capability. You'll need HDMI to use the Blu-ray capability anyway. There is nothing like "Avatar" at 1080P except "Avatar" at 1080P in 3D.

I didn't have any problems hooking up my PS3 and I drag it from house to house. We have a 720P HDTV at our house in the mountains, only with component connections.

I don't think it is possible to get 1080P without an HDMI cable. Are you sure your old TV is a 1080P, or is it 1080i (which is really 720P)
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM

I am totally frustrated with the lack of documentation that came with the PS3 or is available on line at Sony's web site. Furthermore, I picked up the F1 2011 game for the PS3 and played with it a bit last night. Today when I tried to start or resume a new race I am stuck in the garage and pressed EVERY BUTTON on the controller and can not get out of the garage with the status monitor on the deck? There is not enough documentation with the game to explain how to get out of this limbo I am in.

Does anyone have any idea how to get out of the garage and onto the grid? I am totally frustraded that this PS3 and it's games are NOT intuitive. Or is it me? I have been a PC user since the early 80's and find Apple products difficult to use as well. I am currently doing battle with I-Tunes since I had to bring my PC back to a out of the box condition since my Win 7 2012 attack and now I-Tunes wants to over write the 1600+ songs on my I-phone with the three songs that are samples on Windows 7. I have E-mailed I-Tunes support several days ago and have not gotten a response yet, as I type this.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Hi Matt. So, you figured out how to get out of the garage. Barbara told us in the Hawaii thread. Having fun?

Did you ever figure out iTunes? I'm in the same situation. I bought Windows7 to get rid of Vista on my PC. Lost my iTunes library. I read that I could load my iPod music back onto my PC iTunes library, gave it a try, and failed. I've already reloaded that F-ing library 3 times and don't want to go get all my CDs out again. Did you figure it out?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

I am totally frustrated with the lack of documentation that came with the PS3 or is available on line at Sony's web site. Furthermore, I picked up the F1 2011 game for the PS3 and played with it a bit last night. Today when I tried to start or resume a new race I am stuck in the garage and pressed EVERY BUTTON on the controller and can not get out of the garage with the status monitor on the deck? There is not enough documentation with the game to explain how to get out of this limbo I am in.

Does anyone have any idea how to get out of the garage and onto the grid? I am totally frustraded that this PS3 and it's games are NOT intuitive. Or is it me? I have been a PC user since the early 80's and find Apple products difficult to use as well. I am currently doing battle with I-Tunes since I had to bring my PC back to a out of the box condition since my Win 7 2012 attack and now I-Tunes wants to over write the 1600+ songs on my I-phone with the three songs that are samples on Windows 7. I have E-mailed I-Tunes support several days ago and have not gotten a response yet, as I type this.
Matt, Rick is a PS3 player. Google for help. He finds "cheats" and other info on line at time when he's been stuck.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Hi Matt. So, you figured out how to get out of the garage. Barbara told us in the Hawaii thread. Having fun?

Did you ever figure out iTunes? I'm in the same situation. I bought Windows7 to get rid of Vista on my PC. Lost my iTunes library. I read that I could load my iPod music back onto my PC iTunes library, gave it a try, and failed. I've already reloaded that F-ing library 3 times and don't want to go get all my CDs out again. Did you figure it out?
Patty! I had the same problem, then found this solution: In iTunes (with your iPod connected), go to "File, Transfer Purchases from Patty's iPod", and it should copy all the music on your iPod to the iTunes library on your PC. It worked for me, so I hope it does for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1327476273' post='21350041

Patty! I had the same problem, then found this solution: In iTunes (with your iPod connected), go to "File, Transfer Purchases from Patty's iPod", and it should copy all the music on your iPod to the iTunes library on your PC. It worked for me, so I hope it does for you.
Gene, I got that to work but it only worked for one song, Pumped Up Kicks, the only song I purchased. All the rest of the songs on my iPod are copied from my CDs and it didn't work for them. I haven't given up yet.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1327476273' post='21350041

Gene,

I just posted in Lainey's thread that I was told by one of the "shirts" at the Apple store that it would only transfer the purchased music from I-Tunes and that all of the songs from my CD collection would have to be ripped into I-tunes again. Did taking the "transfer purchases" option also export all of your music (including from CD's) from your I-Phone / I-Pod back into your music library in I-tunes? Please say YES and tell me that I have been misinformed by one of the "shirts" at the Apple Store? I contacted I-tunes support about a week ago and never got a response.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene' timestamp='1327506418' post='21350748
[quote name='Kyras' timestamp='1327476273' post='21350041']

Gene,

I just posted in Lainey's thread that I was told by one of the "shirts" at the Apple store that it would only transfer the purchased music from I-Tunes and that all of the songs from my CD collection would have to be ripped into I-tunes again. Did taking the "transfer purchases" option also export all of your music (including from CD's) from your I-Phone / I-Pod back into your music library in I-tunes? Please say YES and tell me that I have been misinformed by one of the "shirts" at the Apple Store? I contacted I-tunes support about a week ago and never got a response.
[/quote]

Matt/Patty, I may have misinformed you. I will try it again on a different PC that does not have all the music loaded into iTunes. I'll report back later.

Edit: Well, I have to eat humble pie, I guess. I tried it on another PC and as Patty said, it would only transfer the songs purchased from iTunes, and completely ignored the ones that I had loaded from CD's. I'm sure there must be a work-around, but I don't know what it would be. Sorry I got your hopes up...

Second Edit: See next post!

Quick Reply: Gaming Consoles