S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Future of America's auto industry

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 20 2009, 08:45 AM
For years and years anyone who follows the auto industry has known that GM has TOO many brands and TOO many dealers. Closing 1/3rd of the them is a good thing in the long run. Often state laws did not allow them to close down poor performing dealers. Dealerships & their associations insisted they must have the same model in their shop that was selling well under a different brand name in another GM shop. All this badge engineering did nothing to improve product.
I think many would agree that GM has too many dealers. Wouldn't it be nice if they closed--or stayed open--based on competition, pricing, service, location?

I don't agree with the Big Hand sweeping some and keeping others--let the market decide who stays and who goes.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 20 2009, 09:20 AM
Yup, this was one really hot performing Mustang wasn't it...

Must be I'm the only one who remembers the Mustang II.

Have Dave, I thought you were old enough to remember this...
The Mustang II front end and a solid axle rear are staple items for the kit car world--by FAR the most popular suspension. Most Cobra kit cars are based on the Mustang II, or Mustang II with 2" spindle drop.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 20 2009, 01:20 PM
Must be I'm the only one who remembers the Mustang II.
Between me and the +1 had 4 Mustang 2's. Wife's 1st car was an awfull lime green mustang 2 coupe that we traded for a silver Ghia model with the 302, I had both a 75 and 76 cobra 2's, 1st one blue 6cyl, 2nd one was black with v8.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM

I heard today that GM will be split up as follows (going from memory):

sharholders get 1%

bond holders (invested $27 billion) get 10%

government (invested $17 billion) gets 50%

UAW (invested ? Unfunded pension $9 billion) get 39%

My math is a little rusty, but I guess $26 billion from the gov't / UAW equals 89% of the company, while all shareholders and bondholders--the actual owners of the company (over $27 billion)-- equals 11%.

Bondholders are teachers unions, other pension funds, hedge funds, mutual funds, etceteras.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cordy,

It's the 21'st Century. Those that saved and invested should just eat cat food so that deadbeats can get "modifications" on their mortgages that would be "INCONVENIENT" to repay.

The secured bondholders of Chrysler were placed behind the unsecured creditors. But if you're a bankruptcy judge and the President of the United States makes it clear that he wants a particular outcome regardless of the law, what would you do?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 AM

Now that split will encourage investors and lenders to finance the rebirth of GM. Until just a few months ago, I would have thought such outcome to be impossible.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:24 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

News this AM...More federal bailout cash to GMAC so they can make some car loans and get people buying.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,May 21 2009, 12:12 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if they closed--or stayed open--based on competition, pricing, service, location?
What criteria do you think they used? For Chrysler this was it! They have been studying this for a year. A healthy company has to have healthy dealers to survive. State laws were preventing them from closing under performing dealers. Strong dealers will only get stronger. It may surprise you to hear this but the strong Chrysler dealers think this re-do is great news and they expect to be very profitable if they can weather the valley until things improve.

GM's situation is different, at least right, since they haven't declared bankruptcy yet. Still everyone expects they will, even with the UAWs recent tentative agreement. In part, GM would have to be looking at fine points in the contract to show the dealer isn't living up to it. I suspect the closing list could change when they go bankrupt.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 22 2009, 08:59 AM
What criteria do you think they used? For Chrysler this was it! They have been studying this for a year. A healthy company has to have healthy dealers to survive. State laws were preventing them from closing under performing dealers. Strong dealers will only get stronger. It may surprise you to hear this but the strong Chrysler dealers think this re-do is great news and they expect to be very profitable if they can weather the valley until things improve.

GM's situation is different, at least right, since they haven't declared bankruptcy yet. Still everyone expects they will, even with the UAWs recent tentative agreement. In part, GM would have to be looking at fine points in the contract to show the dealer isn't living up to it. I suspect the closing list could change when they go bankrupt.
I had not heard that. In fact, I heard that in Washington they closed a couple of profitable dealerships in town, but kept a dealership open in the boonies that was multi-line.

While I don't like it, I understand it. However, I REALLY don't like how the powers-that-be have negotiated the bondholders out of their rightful percentage of the company, while the UAW & the gov't get a huge slice. It's scary, frankly, and has actually caused me to consciously move into investments that would be less vulnerable to government-controlled ownership.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately, the direction we're going, the government will own everything.

Quick Reply: Future of America's auto industry