S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Future of America's auto industry

Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one who wonders about President Obama's (please don't turn this political) apparent conviction that the American people are just champing at the bit to buy tiny little fuel-efficient cars? And let's consider Fiat's reputation for build quality in Europe; can a Fiat built in a Chrysler factory really turn things around? Perhaps I'm prejudiced because the last time Fiat supplied their technology to another company in a different country we got the Yugo?

GM took billions in government assistance. They quite likely will benefit from a bankruptcy where the bankruptcy judge is less interested in fairness and more interested in giving the President of the United States what he wants. So what do they do? They announce plans to import cars from their factories in China to the US. And fail to deny reports that their corporate headquarters will abandon Detroit.

Ford is solvent. They have a hit in an important high-volume market segment with the Fusion. It's made in Mexico.

I regret the state of the "Big 3" but I cannot ignore the situation.

On a related note, can someone explain the big savings to the manufacturer from whacking independent franchisee dealerships? The buildings don't cost the manufacturer anything; the employees aren't on the manufacturer's payroll; the inventory on the showroom floor isn't on the manufacturer's books. At a certain level, these franchisee's are the manufacturers' only customers. I've never bought a car from a manufacturer; I've always purchased from a dealer who bought the car from the manufacturer. I realize that there are costs associated with supporting the franchisees, but where are the mega-savings?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:27 AM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Six top GM exec's sold their stock yesterday driving the stock price down to $1.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM

There is only one thing that will drive American
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I think we'll see inflation rear it's ugly head as more "stimulus money" floods into the economy. That will drive up the cost of fuel especially if our economy begins to pick up. That will drive "green car" sales.

As the pieces of gm are sold off, I think you'll see some start up companies bring new cars to the market.

There's still a big market out there for transportation and as always, the market will be served. This could actually in a few years turn out to be a revolution in automotive design and thought.

fltsfshr
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,May 14 2009, 08:03 AM
As the pieces of gm are sold off, I think you'll see some start up companies bring new cars to the market.
Given the cost of certification for safety, environmental, etc. it's hard for me to imagine how a new cottage industry can pop up unless there is a true breakthough in design that would attract major investors.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Shades of Preston Tucker!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dvae, the chinese will infiltrate our market before long they are already geared up to do so.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm thinking we'll see several "approved platforms" that stylers and designers will use to create targeted market segment vehicles.

fltsfshr
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Chrysler will eliminate 789 dealers, or 25 percent of its U.S. network, by June 9, according to a memo sent today to retailers. Dealers are learning of their fate via UPS letters to be delivered this morning, the memo says.

"Chrysler will not be required [per bankruptcy law] to buy back the vehicles or tools and parts from rejected dealers," the memo says. "We will match you with an accepted dealers(s) to buy your parts, tools and vehicles." The memo says Chrysler will send letters to 4 million customers of the rejected dealers after June 9, when the stores are to close.

In the memo, Chrysler says that after the closings, 80 percent of its dealers will carry all three brands under one roof, compared with 62 percent currently. Since early 2008, Chrysler has been consolidating its dealer body under Project Genesis, a plan to put the Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler brands under one roof wherever possible. ...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,May 14 2009, 10:29 AM
Dvae, the chinese will infiltrate our market before long they are already geared up to do so.
No doubt. I see Kia already has a cool Mini-like looking hybrid that sells for a mere $13k.

Quick Reply: Future of America's auto industry