S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Future of America's auto industry

Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, like manufacturing, services can be duplicated. Will we continue to have the brainpower and venture capital to maintain our edge? There is still a lot more potential for ag exports, if we don't let ourselves get priced out.
What troubles me is that Germany with 25% of the population can out export us - essentially also without much heavy industry/manufacturing.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

We export to Germany, too. Of course our net trade deficit (42 billion in 08) is also a reflection of their manufacturing skill and our ability to afford the nice things they make. Those bimmers are expensive!

We also export to China. Sure, everything we buy here is made in China but they also are our third best export customer behind Canada and Mexico.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tof,Jun 4 2009, 11:08 PM
We export to Germany, too. Of course our net trade deficit (42 billion in 08) is also a reflection of their manufacturing skill and our ability to afford the nice things they make. Those bimmers are expensive!

We also export to China. Sure, everything we buy here is made in China but they also are our third best export customer behind Canada and Mexico.
So are the P cahs, and the Mercedez-Benz, BMW, Volkswagen, and Audi"s not to mentone the medical equip etc.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

This is what really happened to the auto industry and America's love affair with the car.

Click on listen now
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^^ that's a riot Matt...thanks for sharing.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 5,758 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Jun 4 2009, 11:15 PM
This is what really happened to the auto industry and America's love affair with the car.

Click on listen now
Did you read the comments? The majority didn't get the humor at all and riped him up.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jun 4 2009, 11:46 PM
^^^^ that's a riot Matt...thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by dlq04
Did you read the comments? The majority didn't get the humor at all and riped him up.
I did NOT read all of them. But with you both.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. The few times that I have watched Jay Leno do his "Jay Walking" bit I was truly shocked and amazed. The people that responded to the NPR commentary obviously either have NO sense of humor or are taking life WAY too seriously.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM

I see GM will hire the former head of AT&T to run things.

Short story about a time when people had class (ref Maytag-Mason automobile):

With all of the knowledge of the Duesenberg's and the backing of the Masons and Maytag's, however, the car was not the success the 2-cylinder had been. Stiff competition in the then new but growing automobile industry made it hard on the Maytag-Mason Motor Co. F.L. Maytag sold his stock in the Maytag-Mason Co. to William Galloway, a Waterloo industrialist, June 29 1910. The company's name was change back the Mason Motor company January 12 1912. Fred Maytag never ventured in to automobile making again. Maytag lost a considerable investment in the auto undertaking, as did a number of his friends who had bought stock. However, 12 years later, although not obligated to do so, Fred Maytag paid back the stockholders losses to the amount of somewhere over $20,000. Fred and August Duesenberg went on to create there very well built automobiles for the rich and famous.

http://www.maytagclub.com/page-30.htm
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Our local reporter wrote this today...

One offshoot of the bankruptcy is the people of the United States will soon own 60 percent of General Motors.

When the government owns the means of production, that is the textbook definition of ... well, never mind. No sense bringing that up again.

President Obama says he wants to sell our stake in General Motors and get out of the car business. Let's hope so. It's a good plan, but it may take a long time.

Old-fashioned and naive people know this much: If we owned 60 percent of Wendy's, we would not eat lunch at Burger King. Not even with coupons to try that Angry Whopper.

Owning a controlling share of GM means every American taxpayer has smart reason to buy GM cars. It's our company.

Maybe we even have a patriotic duty to buy General Motors.

If so, it seems unfair to Ford, the only American automaker that took care of business without taxpayer bailouts.

Ford may even gain sales from a political backlash. Some people vow to buy Fords to punish GM for slurping up taxpayer money.

Never before was picking a car so political.

Ford or Chevy?

I'll ask one of those cutting-edge thinkers, if I can find one who does not prefer Japanese cars.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll ask one of those cutting-edge thinkers, if I can find one who does not prefer Japanese cars.
------------------------------------
No American cars in my future!

Quick Reply: Future of America's auto industry