S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned

Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 2,978 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
I'll be driving Betty tomorrow and maybe through the rest of the week. We've gotten one of those unusual summer patterns where the temps range from mid 60's to low 80's - in July with no rain in the forecast. We don't usually see that spread until September.

I've maybe put 300 miles on the car this year but I relish every one I can get. The car is now 14 years old with 67K plus miles and it's driving better than when I bought it. I'm convinced if you take care of these cars they will go 25 years easy.
Mike/Raymo! How's it going?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing OK - thanks for asking. I'm having way more good days now than bad days which is a lot better than earlier in the year when I was having bad days and worse days. Most of the time I feel like myself again but I'm still on a low dose of a fairly mild sedative. If this is the new normal I can accept that but I hope over time I continue to improve.

The drive in and home today couldn't have been any better. I tend to forget what an exhilarating experience it is to drive one of these little jewels when I'm out of the car for a while. I think I'll do it again tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,163 Posts

This is the worse year for me I have really sinned I have put less than 50 miles on my S this season HOWEVER I just got back from getting 2 new tires put on my S and getting it inspected so from here on out I'm good to go.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 5,348 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Damn, some of you really need to find time to enjoy top down driving again before the snow begins. I've logged 1,000 miles on the MG just screwing around on short drives and the long drives are still pending.

Here's a few reasons to remember why you bought it:

Car and Driver “...what cars could compete? ... Mazda MX-5 creeps close .. but the Honda would eat it for lunch and not even bother to spit out the bones. BMW Z3.. doesn’t have the snort to tangle with this new tiger from Tochig.” “Its fabulous engine aside, ... it may very well be the stiffest roadster chassis on earth.” “A purist’s sports car, and an extraordinary performance buy.”

European Car “In the end I can tell how much fun a car is by how it makes me drive. In the S2000, I’m a raging asshole. I want to hit 9000 RPM at every shift, every stop sign requires threshold braking and every corner is a power slide. Owning an S2000 would wreak havoc on my driving record, but that extra $20,000 will pay a lot of legal
bills - advantage Honda” [Face-to-face comparison with Porsche Boxster S]

Hot Compacts & Imports “...because the S2000 is a Honda, you can expect it to perform with race car intensity every day for years. Heck, with proper maintenance it might live longer than you.”

Edmunds – first drive review “VETC kicks in, activating a different set of camshaft profiles. The S2000 magically transforms from vanilla roadster to kamikaze attack plane. Scenery in the windshield whizzes by like somebody suddenly hit the VCR fast-forward button. By the noise, you swear you’re going to blow it up. Time to shift. ... As the engine continues to warp upwards towards 9,000, the snarling and exhaust plumb into your gut and buzz up to your brain. Take the sound of an Integra GS-R engine, add some Honda CBR 900RR motorcycle and a dash of Jordan/Mugen Formula One race car, and you have something close to the sound of the S2000. It’s a feeling that you’re getting away with something truly special.” “As a streetable race car, the Honda S2000 excels.”

Los Angeles Times “Go figure your chances of walking into your nearest dealer and beating the elbow-shoving to get dibs on an S2000, probably the spunkiest, most satisfying mainstream sports car since the 1962 Porsche 356B.” “Many manufacturers brag of race-inspired engineering. Most of it is race-inspired hype and hyperbole involving old mechanicals barely brushed by racing. Not Honda. When its engineers, even its advertising department, talk of the race-bred technology of the S2000, the reference is to.. Honda-powered ..victories..”

Newsday “In all, the S2000 is exactly what Honda intended it to be: A true sports car in the traditional vein for a special few drivers..”
Porsche (via R&T) “. . . I dialed up Porsche for a test Boxster ... Only to be told, Sorry, but no. No? I couldn’t believe my ears. ... which could be due to only one thing: the Honda S2000's becoming available to the press. Porsche decided it was not in its interest to facilitate comparisons . . .”

Ward’s Auto World “You’re convinced you are a hideously overpaid Formula One pilot/god.”

Washington Post “The S2000 is everything a sports car ought to be – fun, powerful, nimble, and magical in its ability to transport both soul and body to a better place.”

Kansas City Star “... its 240 horsepower screams like a caged cat. This may be a small package but it packs a good-sized punch. If it surprises you to find Honda and sports car in the same sentence, consider this: Honda racing engines have repeatedly been champions..”

Fort Worth Star-Telegram “The open-top roadster from the ‘60s is back with a vengeance in the all-new Honda S2000.” “...this Honda roadster brings back the best of the open-top sports cars of the ‘60s but with some ‘90s comforts that don’t spoil the package. Power and road-handling are superb, styling is eye-catching, and driving the S2000 is a dream.”

Road & Track “The S2000's 64.0 mph romp through the slalom is among the best we’ve ever seen.”

Road & Track Road Test Annual 2001 “No question, Honda has bragging rights, having produced the first 2.0-liter production-car capable of 9000 RPM-and producing an astonishing 120 bhp/liter in the process, with piston speeds that exceed those in Formula 1 racing.” “The S2000 was able to dance through corners the fastest and with the least amount of effort,..” [Beating the lap times of the Boxster S ($54,300), BMW M ($43,700), and Audi TT ($43,000)].

Automobile magazine “...the perfect roadster.”

Top Gear “... if the Boxster wins hearts in the showroom, it's the Honda that will win souls on the road.” The road tester, Vicki Butler Henderson, went on to buy one an S2000.

Money magazine Best Cars 2001 “Even a true sports car like this one can’t reverse middle age, but it sure can get the adrenaline pumping.”

About Cars Test Drive “Driving the 2001 Honda S2000 is the closest I’ll ever come to being in the pilot’s seat of a vintage Formula One car.”

Automotive-Review.com, tester -Bettencourt “..I’m just blown away by the way the thing feels from the driver’s office. . . this is not another half-sporting, half-luxury poseur convertible. This is a serious driving machine.”

Automotive-Review.com, tester - LaFave “This is it! If you’ve ever dreamed of a race car for the street this is it. Perhaps not in terms of outright acceleration or equipment details but in every other respect it is; brakes, suspension, transmission and 9000 RPM redline.” “The brakes and the transmission shifter are unequivocally the best I have ever used.” “Did I mention this is the most fun car I’ve ever driven!”

Road & Track.com “If early impressions count, the S2000-priced at around $32,000-may well be the cause of some sleepless nights in Germany.”

The Car Connection.com “For starters, if you’re driving this car with the top up, the storm outside better have a name.”

Edmund’s Review.com “It’s all about the little red button...labeled engine start, the button reflects the racing heritage found in the S2000 roadster.”

Edmund’s 2000 Roadster Comparison Test “First Place. Who’da thunk a Honda could inspire such passion,... Well, we did, it does, and this was a test of roadsters with more than 200 horsepower costing less than $50,000,..”

Car & Driver Best List “the S2000 is wasted on summer evening jaunts to the local A&W. The S2000 is a unique and seductive tool for speed .....to produce tenacious and tolerant handling that makes even ham-handed and -footed drivers feel like F1 ace Michael Schumacher.”

Detroit Free Press “You could observe that the Mazda Miata still offers satisfying performance for a lot less money -- about $10,000 less. Which is true, as far as it goes. But from a performance point of view, it's the equivalent of comparing an Olympic sprinter with the hero of the high school track team.”

The Auto Channel “(S2000) ..is one of the most important cars of the present day. Why? This little technological tour- de-force points to the future. And the future as indicated by the S2000 is a very good place.”

etc., etc., etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Only 96 miles in June and 25 miles so far in July. I just don't have a chance to use it as much as I'd like.

I have put about 75 miles on my X-1/9 since the beginning of June. I don't dare drive it more than that.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
The Car Connection.com “For starters, if you’re driving this car with the top up, the storm outside better have a name.”
Still my favorite S2000 quote.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 3,737 Likes on 2,519 Posts

I made amends today and drove the toy to work.
Rt 495 Traffic still sucked.
Sadly I can remember when they had call boxes out there because it was so remote.
nowadays, I'm sharing it with 30,000 other cars on my commute.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Another great day for top down to work and back. A little chilly on the drive in but I found lots of opportunities to push the boost gauge to the positive both ways. I'm still amazed that I've gotten this car set up exactly the way I would have wanted it from the factory - unfortunately they didn't make them this way.

I'm gonna do it again tomorrow but I may have to chase some rain home. WTH - I'll leave a bit early if I have to.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,163 Posts

Great post Dave! Now that my S is ready for the road I've got some catching up to do.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:52 PM

It was supposed to be sunny and cooler than normal again but this morning it was overcast and fearing rain I drove the Focus this morning - turned 11K miles on the way in to work. No rain so far so I'm kicking my own ass for not driving the S on what turned out to be a perfect day.

We'll see what tomorrow brings but it's not looking good.

Quick Reply: Forgive me Father, for I have sinned