S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Football 2007-2008

Old 12-17-2007 | 04:49 AM

I think you guys might be a little tough on Romo. If indeed his thumb is hurt (which he denies...which tells me it is), then it is VERY difficult to throw accurate passes. The Cowboys should have adjusted the game plan and run the ball more. As the announcers said, the Eagles have been playing good D all year.
Old 12-17-2007 | 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Dec 16 2007, 06:57 PM
Good to see the Steelheads lose at home and the Browns win. Where are those Steelers fans now? Especially the Canadian ones?
I'm not sure about the Canadian ones, but this local is disappointed - - - - big time - - and its not because my beloved Steelers lost, (Well it kind of is) I didn't see the entire second half of the game because Dish Satelite was down got to see the Jags make it a 22 to 7 game their favor and then the screen went black - it wasn't a good omen - then 20 minutes later my son in Atlanta calls to tell me the game is tied up 22-22 It really got my hopes up, only to hear later that they blew it

Congrats Cleveland - your coach took a lot of grief over his earlier decisions on quaterback, and he has shown some real leadership bringing the Brownies along - so far, I'm holding out judgement on Tomlin, but he just doesn't seem to have a "fire in the belly" attitude that winning coaches should have. If the Steelers blow a play off spot - it will be his albatross, and I expect Steelers fans will make sure he has it hanging around his neck!

On a more positive note - Greenbay won!
Old 12-17-2007 | 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Dec 16 2007, 06:57 PM
Good to see the Steelheads lose at home and the Browns win. Where are those Steelers fans now? Especially the Canadian ones?
I am here...buried in snow.

The Steelers are not playing well. The defense has let them down the last couple of games. I think they have been resting on their laurels of being the #1 defense and the Pat/Jags both smacked them around.

If they can win the next 2 games, they still win the division but if they want to go anywhere in the playoff, they need to start playing like they did earlier in the year.
Old 12-17-2007 | 08:52 AM

Not to worry Steelheads. You guys beat us twice and are 5-0 in the division so you have all tiebreakers covered. I think if you win one more game you are good to go. The Browns on the other hand can go anywhere from winning the AFC North to missing the playoffs altogether. Should be interesting. It's good to see we can win the 51-45 shootouts as well as the 8-0 snowbowls though.
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Dec 17 2007, 12:52 PM
Not to worry Steelheads. You guys beat us twice and are 5-0 in the division so you have all tiebreakers covered. I think if you win one more game you are good to go. The Browns on the other hand can go anywhere from winning the AFC North to missing the playoffs altogether. Should be interesting. It's good to see we can win the 51-45 shootouts as well as the 8-0 snowbowls though.
If you win all remaining games and Steelers lose both - You have the northern Division, and the way our coach keeps finding ways to lose, thats not an impossiblity. As it is, we drop to #4 this week and any more losses and that will only get worse.
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Dec 17 2007, 01:16 PM
If you win all remaining games and Steelers lose both - You have the northern Division,
A VERY unlikely scenario. Possible, but unlikely.
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:35 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LINESUPER,Dec 17 2007, 01:16 PM
and the way our coach keeps finding ways to lose, thats not an impossiblity.

Big Ben played his heart out in yesterday's game. What's with the Steeler fans.... many gave up and left when there was a nearly a full quarter to go. Even the announcers were commenting on it. It was great when the Steeler's did tie it up with half-full stands. Hopefully the ones that had been booing Ben and Ward had left by then. I couldn't have been prouder as they showed more will power than the fans. Their defense was getting pushed around good and Jacksonville was mixing up the plays well. Sometimes it only takes a few key injuries to really weaken a great team. I certainly would not be blaming the coach for their past couple of losses.
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:40 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RENDERMAN,Dec 16 2007, 06:13 PM
Congrats Bill your Pats are unstoppable!!

I just hope they keep their heads in the game going forward. during post game interviews, you could see that it is getting more difficult for the players to shrug off the idea of going undefeated. When you look ahead beyond the opponent in front of you, bad things can happen.
Old 12-17-2007 | 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 17 2007, 01:40 PM
I just hope they keep their heads in the game going forward. during post game interviews, you could see that it is getting more difficult for the players to shrug off the idea of going undefeated. When you look ahead beyond the opponent in front of you, bad things can happen.
I agree - a few years ago my son graduated with a near 4.0 gpa in engineering - His first year with a 4.0 he atributed to freshman courses and good luck, the sophmore year, it was just his hard work, Junior year he kept telling himself that it just couldn't happen, so it went through 5 years of engineering school. In his last year, his entire engineering grade was from a reseach project he work on, and knowing he would need to concentrate on that, he saved his simple "blow of" courses for his last year. One course, a technical writing course, was one of those. He really didn't participate in class and all his tests were good (A+). The professor never returned his papers after grading or indicated a problem. Anyway when the grades came out, he had a B in the class. It destroyed his 5 year running 4.0 GPA.

Sorry for the off topic excursion, but somehow this is a life lesson I hope the Pats don't learn the hard way. I hope they don't "layoff" in the last couple of games and blow what should be a history making event!
Old 12-17-2007 | 01:09 PM
tof
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Romo haters are coming out of the woodwork. Romo had a bad game. Big deal. He's a SECOND YEAR starting QB, for cryin out loud. And he has been, for the most part, outstanding this year...by far the best of the young guns. He has a QB rating of A HUNDRED AND ONE! It took Peyton Manning seven years to top the hundred mark. Tom Brady NEVER topped the qb rating century mark until this year.

As a Bills fan I would love to see Romo in Buffalo. As a Saints fan I would have gladly taken him until we got Brees.

Not a big game player? Because he bobbled a snap as the holder last year in the playoffs? Here are Romo's QB ratings in divisional games this year prior to the Philly loss:

Wk1, NYG: 128.5
Wk 9, @Philly: 141.7
Wk10 @NYG: 123.1
Wk11 Washington: 124.1

And when Green Bay came to town in week 13, tied for the NFC lead, Romo went 19 of 30 and 309 yards with four touchdowns against one pick.

Yeah, the guy just blows in big games. I just love fair-weather fans.

(I am neither a Romo fan nor a Cowboys fan but I know a good qb when I see one.)

Quick Reply: Football 2007-2008