S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Finally pulled the trigger...

Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
I hope they are at least providing you with a loaner while yours is in the shop.
Got a Genesis sedan with 13k on the odometer... 4.6l engine.... not to bad...

But it sure handles like a boat!! errr.... make that like a barge!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 3,925 Likes on 2,636 Posts

interesting conundrum.
they are obligated to make you whole in the sense of making it work and under warranty their obligation ends with popping in a new motor.
you do have a problem with diminished value however.
The numbers won't match and carfax will always indicate an engine replacement.
I'd give a quick call to Hyundai corporate and pronto.
Tell 'em to take back their car and give you a new one and stress to them the financial loss you are burdened with.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Did they indicate why this happened?
Levi
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Did they indicate why this happened?
Levi
Not yet... they said they would know more today.

I plan on going down to the dealership.... and start with the GM and ask him what they are going to do to make me whole....

Then start to move up the line with Hyundai......
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 AM

Received 2,941 Likes on 1,740 Posts

Yep, you need to go straight to the top. I had the dreaded short block replacement (along with many others) years ago with my first S. Some dealerships were refusing to do the replacement because they said it was driver error for overrevving the engine/not putting oil in/blah blah blah. Anyhoo, I didn't mince any words about what I expected to happen. The dealership got with American Honda and it was replaced. I didn't have to go to the next (lawyer) level, fortunately.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Its weird getting on the Genesis forums..... and only having like 5 posts!
Trust me, I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on 1 real crappy Veloster forum which is active with too many assses, and also on a great forum specifically for the Turbo model, all great people, but quiet as a mouse...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Just got off the phone with the dealer...
They said the engine was locked up.
New one will be in and installed by the end of next week.
As a newbie Hyundai fan, your story is killing me, damnn, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, and I'm so sorry just to hear about it
The only thing I can say, is an engine failure that abrupt, and at that low of mileage means there was really something wrong
I know it may not feel like it now, but you should sort of be glad it was so abrupt, as now you get a correct engine
Can you imagine the hassle you would go through if this happened at like 20,000 miles...

Did they go into any detail on exactly what was the point of failure or do they just say engine is seized, we replace, give back old one to Hyundai for autopsy?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Yep, you need to go straight to the top.
I agree, and be polite as helll, but honest as helll
Make it clear this could be your 1st and last Hyundai ever if you are not compensated properly
Toss onto that you are exrtremely active in a number of automotive forums and if this is not made wright, thousands upon thousands of enthusiast will end up reading in detail how you were treated
Socal media is bocoming a much stronger force, and manufacturers are slowly becoming more and more aware of just how powerful they can be, both to help them grow, as well as to help sink their ship!
You can even tell them you know someone on the Hyundai ThinkTank, and this person is extremely concerned that Hyundai steps up and does the right thing.
That's me by the way, I was lucky enough to get invited into the fold, and am a member on ther Hyundai ThinkTank.
Good luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Mike I hope they resolve this to your satisfaction, and quickly. Quality issues like this are not acceptable. They must realize that one unhappy/pi$$ed off customer will tell many people (plus those on social media as Doug pointed out) about their experience whereas a happy customer may only tell a few people about their experience.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

You're going to end up with non matching numbers, a hit on the car's resale and who knows what caused it, a bad block or something else. It may be a "Friday car"

Just my opinion. I'd probably trade the car if they didn't give me a new one.

At 1400 miles, I'd demand a new one

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger...