S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 01-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

A furry bird...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I saw a few robins yesterday, too! They're a bit early. Robins are common visitors in the early spring and summer in Colorado. While they don't visit birdfeeders with great frequency, you might have some success offering them meal worms, sunflower chips, and fruit. They will though use a bird bath frequently to drink and bathe.
In Ohio... never have seen a robin at our feeders.....

They just love the worms in our yard tho!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Our community has two large ponds, and across the street, the golf course has several large "water hazards" that are stopping and living places for ducks and geese. About 6 weeks ago a Canadian goose appeared at the pond across the street, and it is apparent that he/she has a broken wing. Local bird rescue has not been able to capture it to examine it, as every time they get close it takes to the water. Other than not being able to fly, it seems to be getting along fine. Plenty to eat, and it can walk around and swim, and I even saw it slowly flap its good wing and move the broken one around, something I doubt it would do if in pain. Happily, it now has another Canadian goose (mate?) keeping it company for the last 10+ days, and nights. So it isn't lonely anymore.
Rescue is keeping an eye on it, but my guess is it will become a permanent fixture here at our pond. More info as it develops.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Our community has two large ponds, and across the street, the golf course has several large "water hazards" that are stopping and living places for ducks and geese. About 6 weeks ago a Canadian goose appeared at the pond across the street, and it is apparent that he/she has a broken wing. Local bird rescue has not been able to capture it to examine it, as every time they get close it takes to the water. Other than not being able to fly, it seems to be getting along fine. Plenty to eat, and it can walk around and swim, and I even saw it slowly flap its good wing and move the broken one around, something I doubt it would do if in pain. Happily, it now has another Canadian goose (mate?) keeping it company for the last 10+ days, and nights. So it isn't lonely anymore.
Rescue is keeping an eye on it, but my guess is it will become a permanent fixture here at our pond. More info as it develops.
Looking forward to any photos, Morris.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I saw a few robins yesterday, too! They're a bit early. Robins are common visitors in the early spring and summer in Colorado. While they don't visit birdfeeders with great frequency, you might have some success offering them meal worms, sunflower chips, and fruit. They will though use a bird bath frequently to drink and bathe.
I bought the feeder and went to a feed store where I bought their mix of non-sprouting seed. I think the gal said it was sunflower, cracked corn, and I forget what. I'll have to cut open the bag and take a look. The feeder just hangs. I don't know how that'll do with the wind.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:19 PM

here's a link to the geese.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2644523&type=3
Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

I hate to be picky, but their correct name is Canada geese. They don't say "eh," or wear toques, so they're not Canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose
Old 01-21-2018, 04:09 PM

These are two waterfowl, they don't have names or IDs. So there is no correct name for these two at all. Right now they are just Napa geese.

OK just kidding, I stand corrected.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
These are two waterfowl, they don't have names or IDs. So there is no correct name for these two at all. Right now they are just Napa geese.

OK just kidding, I stand corrected.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Around here if you get two you will get two hundred. We consider them a form of flying rat and should be treated as such.

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds