S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

^
You are a good friend to the birds, Blue!

I'm not sure which winter it was, but there was one not too long ago and many of the Carolina Wren didn't make it. I know I rarely see them these days and they used to be right out my window dining on suet all the time. I've had the usual suspects in the yard, though I'm not seeing much of the downy woodpeckers lately. I often have the house finches, two or three hanging out on a feeder. The other day I must have had 10 or more hanging around two feeders which are close together. The birds have had a rough winter too.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Yesterday had our normal 25-35 mourning doves (looks like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds with all of them pretty close together in a tree!), 10-15 cardinals, along with a few chickadees, downies, sparrows, blue jays, and then a eastern towhee showed up. Had seen one in the backyard a couple of years ago, but the first one for this winter....
Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I so miss birds! I have two hummingbird feeders and a seed feeder in SoCal but have none yet in Loveland. I never see any birds at my house. I need to find out what type of feeder to get for here. There's one at Costco I considered but haven't bought yet. I ended up with rats and squirrels in California so I'm a tad leery of starting here now. Also, I'm concerned about the falling seeds starting weeds underneath the feeder. Gary? Colorado man?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM

I don't know about Colorado birds, but if any in your area like thistle that's a good place to start. As far as I know it will not germinate, grow weeds/plants. You can also feed hulled sunflower seed for less mess. The birds won't toss that aside, but it's more expensive.

Rick had made me some seed catchers to put under the feeders to catch the mess. They worked OK, but did not survive winter and wind. He will have to go back to the drawing board in the spring.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I so miss birds! I have two hummingbird feeders and a seed feeder in SoCal but have none yet in Loveland. I never see any birds at my house. I need to find out what type of feeder to get for here. There's one at Costco I considered but haven't bought yet. I ended up with rats and squirrels in California so I'm a tad leery of starting here now. Also, I'm concerned about the falling seeds starting weeds underneath the feeder. Gary? Colorado man?

Hey patty, Colorado is a migratory bird area, so what you will experience varies upon the season. This time of year Loveland will have a small selection of birds. The full time winter residents consist of finches, blue jays, Doves, northern flicker woodpeckers, chickadees and not much more. Cracked sunflower seeds and unsalted peanuts seem to be the favored by all. From my observation a thistle feeders seem to be their last choice.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

If you want an endless parade of birds you have to be willing to go along with what comes with nature.

We have three sunflower feeders rigged to prevent squirrels from cleaning them out; still coons get to help themselves since I refuse to shoot them. Naturally the seeds end up on the ground around the feeders; blue jays are especially effective at shoveling lots of uneatened seeds out into the yard. Eventually we end up with a big mess of both eatened and un-eatened under them. We also have three suet feeders connected with the seed feeders and naturally because of their open nature small chunks end up in the yard. Plus we have three thistle feeders. All have catch trays on them. These are only semi-effective. I've tried making my own catch trays larger but that doesn't help, as it just allows larger birds such as doves to park there and eat. Also the catch trays build up and have to be regularly cleaned; if not the mold, etc. builds up. We have three different styles of thistle feeders and there's a black mess of thick thistle under all three. Bottom line, we have land creatures who feed under all nine - squirrels, chipmunks, mice, rats, possum, coons, deer, . . . you name it. We especially hate the moles because they really tear up the yard. The feeders require constant cleaning both in and under them. I use a 5-hp leaf blower to clean, as best I can, when things are not too frozen up; just did that a week ago when we had one crazy 50° day before it returned to 10°. In the summer we also have two hummingbird feeders; they attract bees.

In the end nature always wins. Don't fight it; enjoy it.

Last edited by dlq04; 01-17-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
If you want an endless parade of birds you have to be willing to go along with what comes with nature.

We have three sunflower feeders rigged to prevent squirrels from cleaning them out; still coons get to help themselves since I refuse to shoot them. Naturally the seeds end up on the ground around the feeders; blue jays are especially effective at shoveling lots of uneatened seeds out into the yard. Eventually we end up with a big mess of both eatened and un-eatened under them. We also have three suet feeders connected with the seed feeders and naturally because of their open nature small chunks end up in the yard. Plus we have three thistle feeders. All have catch trays on them. These are only semi-effective. I've tried making my own catch trays larger but that doesn't help, as it just allows larger birds such as doves to park there and eat. Also the catch trays build up and have to be regularly cleaned; if not the mold, etc. builds up. We have three different styles of thistle feeders and there's a black mess of thick thistle under all three. Bottom line, we have land creatures who feed under all nine - squirrels, chipmunks, mice, rats, possum, coons, deer, . . . you name it. We especially hate the moles because they really tear up the yard. The feeders require constant cleaning both in and under them. I use a 5-hp leaf blower to clean, as best I can, when things are not too frozen up; just did that a week ago when we had one crazy 50° day before it returned to 10°. In the summer we also have two hummingbird feeders; they attract bees.

I'm glad to read all this. We don't get the deer but everything else you have mentioned comes into our yard and we live in the city. Like you, we have learnt to put up with the mess this time of year and enjoy nature. I'm not so happy about it in the spring when I can clean up a garbage bag full of left over bits. No woods to blow them into.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04

I am ok with all of the creatures except the rats! Haven't seen our resident rodent around lately....but I'm watching, while hoping the rat trap/poison Rick put under the shed worked.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve never favored the destructive nature of squirrels, raccoons, rats, mice, voles, and deer. Yes…they’re awfully cute, but I’m happier witnessing them passing through my yard rather than making it their feeding grounds and sanctuary (my neighbors have expressed the same). I now use sunflower chips and peanuts... they’re feeds that are totally consumed by the local birds. With my choice of feeds there’s no selective seed discarding onto the ground by the Jays and other birds, which help feed the other creatures. So far, I’m happy with my choice.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I’ve never favored the destructive nature of squirrels, raccoons, rats, mice, voles, and deer. Yes…they’re awfully cute, but I’m happier witnessing them passing through my yard rather than making it their feeding grounds and sanctuary (my neighbors have expressed the same). I now use sunflower chips and peanuts... they’re feeds that are totally consumed by the local birds. With my choice of feeds there’s no selective seed discarding onto the ground by the Jays and other birds, which help feed the other creatures. So far, I’m happy with my choice.
I have just a few squirrels, now and again. They don't really create a problem. The spring loaded feeders do keep them out of the seed. They can have a little suet. I don't feed the mixed seed (the cheaper stuff) so the birds aren't tossing too much on the ground. No deer, no racoons...mice, and voles, maybe, and the rat damn well better be gone. What feeder to you use for peanuts? How do you keep squirrels away from that tasty treat?

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds