S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Work has been ongoing for several years, cleaning up our local river from PCB's. The wildlife is returning. This is right near our home. I could easily walk there, but we took the S last night. I had a treat with lots of wildlife. Osprey, Blue Heron, juvenile Blue Heron, Egrets and more. There wasn't much daylight left, so the pics aren't great but here's a couple.

Osprey with his dinner
Three of a kind
Great Blue Heron
Old 09-02-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Nice, Lainey. Glad the wildlife is returning and so glad the waterway is being cleaned up.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Osprey pic is great!!!!

Having dinner!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Our little seed catchers under the feeders are working well. I even have some of the birds eating the seed from them. They (seed catchers) took a bit of a beating yesterday from the wind, as one of them is positioned differently than the other. Also, a cat managed to nab one of my birds. I'm not crying too much as it was a sparrow, but darn, I wish that cat would stay away.

The hummingbirds are still consuming a ton of feed, but I only spotted one yesterday, vs the three at a time I had been seeing previously. They won't be with us much longer.

I believe our rodent issue is solved. Rick might have nailed it with the BB gun. We did see some fur fly. A few days later one trap was missing. Guessing one of the rodents got caught and walked off, or crawled off with it. It may not be the most humane way, but can't tolerate rodents in the yard. The trap was positioned under the shed, so doubtful it harmed anyone's pet. Rick re-baited the remaining traps, and no takers. Since there is now little seed on the ground, I'm hoping we've seen the last of the rodents.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:29 AM

I've developed a real affinity for BlueJays and put out raw peanuts (in the shell) for them every morning. They're usually out and about well before the squirrels arrive and I watch the jays dive in for their treats. They start squawking for the peanuts just after sunup. I have huge hickory trees all around my house and am accustomed to having hickory nuts drop so I'm cautious not to get hit (ouch). This morning I put out extra peanuts since nasty weather is coming and I'm not sure the jays will be out in the morning. I was out watching them feed this morning and a peanut shell dropped on my head. They're swooping in and nabbing the peanuts, flying up in the hickory trees and it is now raining peanut shells.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
I've developed a real affinity for BlueJays and put out raw peanuts (in the shell) for them every morning. They're usually out and about well before the squirrels arrive and I watch the jays dive in for their treats. They start squawking for the peanuts just after sunup. I have huge hickory trees all around my house and am accustomed to having hickory nuts drop so I'm cautious not to get hit (ouch). This morning I put out extra peanuts since nasty weather is coming and I'm not sure the jays will be out in the morning. I was out watching them feed this morning and a peanut shell dropped on my head. They're swooping in and nabbing the peanuts, flying up in the hickory trees and it is now raining peanut shells.
Try playing toss with them..... they will catch on quickly...

Just throw one out into the yard when you see them.... its fun to watch....
Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 AM

^^ They really are fun birds to watch, LTD2k. Occasionally I place a few peanuts on the edge of the patio and watch them swoop in for them (if they can beat the squirrels). I've also enjoyed watching them nab the peanuts from under the squirrels noses. They are quite vocal if I don't get the peanuts out early enough.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 AM

Full house on the thistle bag
Attached Thumbnails Feeding the Birds-photo998.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:26 AM

TBH I'm almost dreading the goldfinch migration here. Feeders will be emptied twice a day. They seem to eat more than any bird I've ever seen other than starlings and grackles. Their antics are cute though, so I'll suck it up and go out and refill feeders multiple times a day.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by valentine
TBH I'm almost dreading the goldfinch migration here. Feeders will be emptied twice a day. They seem to eat more than any bird I've ever seen other than starlings and grackles. Their antics are cute though, so I'll suck it up and go out and refill feeders multiple times a day.
I'm frequently re-filling the thistle bags. I had given up on the thistle as they seemed to prefer seeds. However, I removed the seed feeder closest to house due to the rodents that had showed up, and went back to some thistle. I just bought a second bag, I've never had so much gold finch activity. I may have to mortgage the house or apply for food stamps for these free loaders!

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds