S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 08-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

No pics... but had a white breasted nuthatch in the backyard yesterday... first one we have seen around here...

Kathy and I both grabbed our phones, started the Merlin bird app... to figure out what it was!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
No pics... but had a white breasted nuthatch in the backyard yesterday... first one we have seen around here...

Kathy and I both grabbed our phones, started the Merlin bird app... to figure out what it was!
Those are fun birds to watch. I get a few. Also saw the red breasted one a few time...they are so small!

Rodent update: Rick got one shot with the BB gun and we were pretty sure he hit the vermin, but no corpse in immediate vicinity. Two days later he had a mouse in one of the larger traps and the other trap was gone. Not sure if a wounded rodent was hanging around under the shed and decided to take a nibble on the bait and "walked off" with the trap or if it was yet another rodent. Either way, traps are re-set very little seed on the ground to attract them. I read today that they don't travel more than 100 feet for their food. Unless a neighbor has something attracting them, I'm hoping we have seen the last of these things.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I saw a REALLY small mother bird feeding its young REALLY REALLY small bird in the grass. I'm not sure what it was and before I could grab the camera from another room and get it focused they were into the brush. I was on the phone when I first saw them and couldn't believe how small they both were. Both neat and frustrating at the same time. Oh, well, more fun than the eclipse and quicker.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:55 AM

I had some chickadees in a tree, one feeding the other, it's very cool. I had my camera, but didn't manage to get the shot. Tried to chase the hummingbirds around the yard last night with the camera. Didn't succeed. I got a few shots, some wing action, nothing share worthy.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:46 AM

Through the window photo...got the wing action..her face is pretty sharp, but the feet aren't in focus. They are consuming a ton of feed. Flying all over the place, dive bombing each other. So great to watch. Caught this one on my lunch hour!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Nice Catch, Lainey. Great detail, too.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Through the window photo...got the wing action..her face is pretty sharp, but the feet aren't in focus. They are consuming a ton of feed. Flying all over the place, dive bombing each other. So great to watch. Caught this one on my lunch hour!
Nice pic!

Seems like we have one hummingbird that feels the feeder is all his! Every time another one shows up, he dive bombs them and chases them away.

Then he always goes back to the same spot to stand guard!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:25 AM

Sources tell me this is actually a juvenile male. The spots on the throat are indicative of that. They darken to red. Google seems to agree.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Neat, and a window shot - hard to believe, you must wash yours.

Not a bird, but the wife took this with the phone.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
We had squirrels chew through two Rubbermaid heavy duty garbage cans to get to the bird food. Replaced the cans and shot the squirrel!
Where do you keep the cans, Scoots? I keep my birdseed indoors for several reasons -- humidity will cause mold in the food and animals will forage. We have possums, raccoons, coyotes and squirrels who vie for anything edible. Additionally I keep the squirrels happy and out of my birdseed by putting out a handful of peanuts every morning for hungry squirrels and bluejays. While occasionally I'll have a pesky squirrel that goes for my feeders and somehow learns to get past the baffles, they'd much rather have peanuts. I'd never kill a squirrel for getting into the birdseed, but that's just me. To each their own. I prefer workarounds as the squirrels really help out here by eating a lot of the hickory nuts that rain down on us every year and they provide many hours of entertainment with their antics in my yard. We also have minks that love to forage and everyone in my neighborhood is excited by a mink sighting. If you must store your seed in garbage cans, use metal. Not much can chew through that. My stepson became furious because squirrels ate some of his roses so he started staking them out and shooting them. Good luck with birdfeeding or backyard entertainment because somehow the wildlife seems to learn that a predator is about. He became the predator and all the wildlife in his yard became scarce.

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds