S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 08-11-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Well there were no "captures" and it appeared the rodent living under the deck had moved on as there was no evidence of him tunneling out. Well he/she did move on. Spotted him/her exiting from under the shed in the back yard, headed over to the bird feeders in the back to see what could be scrounged from the ground. Rick put the traps there last night, no luck as of this AM. I feel better now that this "thing" is away from the house, but I want him GONE. I had put some seed in the feeders in the back as I went home for lunch the other day and the birds were flying around looking for food. Until we get this thing, I guess I'll have to stick to suet and thistle only. We're also going to try to put some little "catcher" type plates under the feeders to eliminate some of the available food on the ground.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Well there were no "captures" and it appeared the rodent living under the deck had moved on as there was no evidence of him tunneling out. Well he/she did move on. Spotted him/her exiting from under the shed in the back yard, headed over to the bird feeders in the back to see what could be scrounged from the ground. Rick put the traps there last night, no luck as of this AM. I feel better now that this "thing" is away from the house, but I want him GONE. I had put some seed in the feeders in the back as I went home for lunch the other day and the birds were flying around looking for food. Until we get this thing, I guess I'll have to stick to suet and thistle only. We're also going to try to put some little "catcher" type plates under the feeders to eliminate some of the available food on the ground.
Tell him you're Locked & Loaded.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Tell him you're Locked & Loaded.
We are...BB gun power!

One of the traps was tripped and there was a bit of blood and gore, but no body....hopefully the rodent left the area to lick his woods ....or die .

Meanwhile, Rick devised some seed catchers under the feeders. Fishing line and those plastic things you put under plants...hopefully, it help eliminate some of the feed on the ground which attracts the uninvited guests. They are deep enough that the seeds won't fall out, but we'll see what happens on a windy day. I'll report back. I'm sure you are all dying to hear the final chapter of "Rat Patrol."
Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

We've had something banging around trying to get under our deck outside our bedroom. Keep blocking areas to find them digging more. I finally spotted what was doing it-- three foxes! So far I have kept them out, and today I bought covers to screw in place.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 PM

I friend of mine has a bat in her house tonight...I think I'd rather have a rat outside....
Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Bats are good - not in the house, of course. I tried to attract them one time but the bat house I bought and attached to a tree in the woods out back did not do the trick. I think it was too exposed. They came out in the evening to swoop down eating bugs, sometimes pretty close to the deck. I named a couple of them dingbat and dongbat.

Last edited by MsPerky; 08-12-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Might want to consider enclosed mouse/rat bait stations. They hold solid bait blocks that attract the rodents to the weather resistant boxes , while keeping the bait away from other wildlife. The boxes can sit outside or inside and should be placed near existing walls or decks, etc. where rodents travel along. The bait will last for weeks depending on the level of rodents, and you can check the usage via the top access panel. The small mouse type traps work well in garages or inside outdoor storage areas, and the bigger stations are great for outside areas

protecta - Do It Yourself Pest Control
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM

^
Thanks, no activity last night. However a beautiful hawk that made a couple of passes in our yard and the neighboring yard. He/she is welcome to come by any time for some "take out" as long as it's not one of my birds.

The little seed catching tray had a fair amount of "stuff" in it this AM. Less mess on the ground should = less food for the unwanted critters.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Our Great Horned Owl flew by last night but refused to stop for a picture. We could hear him/her in the woods.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:32 AM

seed catcher by Rick. I've already dumped it once today. It should help quite a bit with fewer seeds on the ground. He made one for all three of my seed feeders
Attached Thumbnails Feeding the Birds-photo745.jpg  

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds