S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Feeding the Birds

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Hi Catherine. I'm speaking of house sparrows. They are aggressive move in on other birds. And keep other birds away from feeders. As far as I know it is one of the only birds in our area whose nest can be destroyed/moved with no penalty. There is still food available to them. My experiment may fail as my deterrent may be scaring other birds as mentioned. I need more daylight hours at home to do some bird watching
Old 12-08-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Hi Catherine. I'm speaking of house sparrows. They are aggressive move in on other birds. And keep other birds away from feeders. As far as I know it is one of the only birds in our area whose nest can be destroyed/moved with no penalty. There is still food available to them. My experiment may fail as my deterrent may be scaring other birds as mentioned. I need more daylight hours at home to do some bird watching
Lainey....

You have my permission to stay at home the next few days and document what is going on with your feeders and your sparrow deterrent!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus
I need to speak up on behalf of the sparrow - they also need to eat in order to survive the winter, the same as the prettier birds. I think there 10 different varieties of sparrow so perhaps we should be feeding all the birds and trying to see which variety of sparrow we have in our gardens. The sparrow may be protection for the more timid birds, a warning system of danger or an indication that the feeder is a safe place to be.
Well said, Catherine. I'm reminded of a little mini-lecture I received at my local bird seed store. I was complaining about the starlings, grackles and cowbirds that raid my feeders from time to time. The owner very politely made me feel 2 inches tall when he said, "either you feed the birds or you don't feed the birds. You cannot pick which birds you feed." I grow weary when the grackles, etc. invade my little bird haven, but they're only here for a couple/weeks or so. I can relate to Lainey's issue and apparently from what I see on the web a lot of people have the same issue. There is bullet-proof way to keep ANY bird from invading the feeders. I also used to feel that the bluejays were mean to other birds until I read an article in a birdwatching magazine that said they are the defenders who warn other birds of danger and are most likely to be snatched by predators.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by Tachus' timestamp='1449594089' post='23822821
I need to speak up on behalf of the sparrow - they also need to eat in order to survive the winter, the same as the prettier birds. I think there 10 different varieties of sparrow so perhaps we should be feeding all the birds and trying to see which variety of sparrow we have in our gardens. The sparrow may be protection for the more timid birds, a warning system of danger or an indication that the feeder is a safe place to be.
Well said, Catherine. I'm reminded of a little mini-lecture I received at my local bird seed store. I was complaining about the starlings, grackles and cowbirds that raid my feeders from time to time. The owner very politely made me feel 2 inches tall when he said, "either you feed the birds or you don't feed the birds. You cannot pick which birds you feed." I grow weary when the grackles, etc. invade my little bird haven, but they're only here for a couple/weeks or so. I can relate to Lainey's issue and apparently from what I see on the web a lot of people have the same issue. There is bullet-proof way to keep ANY bird from invading the feeders. I also used to feel that the bluejays were mean to other birds until I read an article in a birdwatching magazine that said they are the defenders who warn other birds of danger and are most likely to be snatched by predators.
Forgive me, I didn't intend to make anyone "feel 2 inches tall" I was just trying to defend the sparrow. I was thinking along the lines of the bluejays position. Perhaps their is a birder amongst us who really knows what purpose the sparrow holds but I'm sure they do hold a good purpose.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 AM

No problem Catherine. I still feel 5' tall. Well more like 4'11" these days. If I can isolate the sparrows from just one feeder I'd be happy. There is enough of a buffet for the sparrows to grab a bite too
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Oh, please, Catherine no apologies needed. I was just saying how I realized that when you put out a buffet for the birds, you cannot pick and choose which birds eat the food. I had this feeling I wanted to feed the pretty little songbirds and cute little birds, not the big ugly grackles, starlings and cowbirds. He made me understand how pompous I was. Your post is a reminder that all the birds serve a purpose. I understand Lainey's angst as there seem to be few remedies for decreasing the numbers of bullies she's getting at her feeders.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Maybe the purpose of the house sparrows is to feed the hawks???
Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

May be it is to feed the hawks. We watched a goshawk land in neighbors yard, walk over to her hedge filled with sparrows and help himself to lunch. It was the hawks behavior that allowed us to distinguish which type of hawk we were watching.

Another sparrow story, in London, England they now have vast quantities of what they call "posh sparrows." It seems that some years ago some bright green parakeets escaped (were set free) and survived the attack of all the indigenous birds and the cold wet English winter. Now through out the parks one can catch site of the progeny of the first pair. It is lovely to catch sight of such bright colored birds.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Determination.

https://www.facebook.com/67107878298...57273/?theater
Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM

Yikes!!!!

Quick Reply: Feeding the Birds