S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Who was at fault here
The Crotch Rocket Rider that was speeding
13.64%
Or the Police officer that actually caused the accident
86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Fatal accident on Washington Beltway

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bborzell,Jun 3 2007, 10:06 PM
there isn't any apparent evidence that the rider was being chased as a felony suspect
The latest statements I've seen are that the police say they can not confirm there was a chase at all. I'm not sure what they mean by that, because obviously something happened.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Ninety miles per hour or more. Whoop dee doo. I do that in my S on occasion. The cop hit someone. Not the motorcycle. The motorcycle rider seems to have been in control of his or her vehicle.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 4 2007, 02:24 AM
The latest statements I've seen are that the police say they can not confirm there was a chase at all. I'm not sure what they mean by that, because obviously something happened.
Cops that abuse their power and drive poorly make me furious!

If the cops were involved in a high-speed chase in traffic, the fault is clearly on the shoulders of the cops. This arrogance to do whatever they want when it comes to driving in traffic is so completely wrong, and the fact that the cars around here have the slogan on them "to protect and serve". Well I'll tell ya how to serve me, learn how to freegin drive!!!

Well, I don't need another cup of coffee; this thread has me wound right up... This subject is very hot to me because less than a month ago I was almost in an accident, with the Titan, while the S2000 was on the trailer behind me, and the accident would have been 1,000% the fault of an arrogant NYS cop who was violating all too many rules of the road and law enforcement code of ethics.

What happened- I was just minding my business, running my normal 70 to 72 mph in the right lane, just kicking back on the way home from a 3-day driving school. In the left lane way behind me I see a car coming fast. Look again, no, coming real fast, wow, that sucker is flying, oh wait, it's a cop car, no siren, no lights, wow, here he goes. WHAT THE HELL?!? Brake lights, why is this moron standing on his brakes right in front of me??? So here I am 5,000 pound Titan + 2,000 pound trailer + 3,000 pounds car and gear = 10,000 pounds. I had come to terms with the fact that I was going to smash into the backend of the cop car, I was not going to dive onto the brakes and potentially loose the trailer and effect others, I figured my 10,000 pounds rammed into the backend of the 4,000 pound cop car ought to basically punt the cop right off the road. Just before what looked like a very hard hit the cop car drops off the right side of the road onto an exit ramp and was gone. In simple terms he apparently decided it was better for public safety to pass me and then dive for the exit in front of me, than to slow down a little and take the exit after I drove past it. And if I had hit him, I'm sure it would have somehow been all my fault...

Old 06-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this day and age, high speed chases are unnecessary. No one can outrun radio waves, so why even try?
Call ahead, get the plate numbers, show up at the perps house. Unless, the car is stolen, then you have a different set of problems but road blocks should be more effective than a high speed run around.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...?storyid=59387
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM

That is so sad, and so avoidable.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 4 2007, 06:05 AM
And if I had hit him, I'm sure it would have somehow been all my fault...
Unless you were running video....
Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ed_Grant,Jun 6 2007, 10:58 AM
That is so sad, and so avoidable.
I was even more upset when I heard they were headed to the same jazz festival as I was that same night. You just never know. We have enough idiots on our beltway without the cops adding to the craziness.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

It seems that more than just DC area police seem to have lapses in judgement. Here is a link to a story about a Jersey state trooper who ran a stop sign at 70 MPH without lights or siren and killed two teen sisters, and the lawyers want to suppress the black box data of the cruiser to get the guy off.

Police who exercise reckless behavior should be treated like anyone else.

Here is a link to the story:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/nj/20...ce_invalid.html
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

If he ever turns up I could see charging the rider with reckless driving IF they can prove he was going that fast.

Meanwhile, the officer who spun the SUV out of control should be charged with manslaughter or worse if the animated reenactment is accurate and if he was in violation of department policy on high speed persuit.

Of course that would be expecting more justice from the system than it is usually able to produce.

Quick Reply: Fatal accident on Washington Beltway