S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Engine trouble - need advice

Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. Sorry for the long delay in posting an update. Been getting hammered at work these last two weeks (just what I need with this going on with my car), so it's been slow going.

Today I've arranged a tow from the dealer to another mechanic cargo-s recommended who offered to look inside the engine and see if the engine can be saved. The guy is a part-time mechanic with his own shop who is very busy, so it will likely take longer, but he comes very highly recommended. The dealer started getting $$ in their eyes when I mentioned looking inside the engine.

Haven't heard back from the warranty, going to give them a call this week. It expired in February, but it still might be worth a shot. They took care of replacing my convertible top 3 years ago when a hole wore in it from rubbing on the bars when putting it up and down.

I got some great advice from the folks at the meet this weekend, but I still can't exactly figure out what I did. I've had the car for 5 years without any problems, but this was the first time in a while that I've driven it more spirited.

I really don't think that I downshifted by mistake, I know I hit the red line on acceleration once that day, but it should be protected from that. The really weird thing is that I started hearing a bad clunking as I came up to a stop sign. I stopped and was able to turned left down a slight hill into a construction zone, so I couldn't have been going more than 5 mph at 2000 RPM when the engine stopped.

Could be a week or more before we get the engine apart, but I will post more when I know more. Thanks to everyone who has been following this and has been offering advice, suggestions, and condolences.

I've been driving hondas for 14 years and this is the first ounce of trouble I've had, so I'm more apt to blame myself on this one than the car, I'm just not sure what I did!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by slyderS2K,May 25 2010, 03:30 AM

I really don't think that I downshifted by mistake, I know I hit the red line on acceleration once that day, but it should be protected from that.
Steve,
The S has a rev limiter and I believe it cuts off fuel to the engine when you hit the redline. Unless you just left it petal to the medal right at the redline for a prolonged amount of time I doubt that was your issue.

We all miss downshifts from time to time (at least I do) but short of bombing it during a 6-4 or a 5-3 downshift I'd be surprised to hear that it would blow out your engine in a blink.

I think we all are interested in your situation so keep us up to date. Hopefully it gets fixed fast and for not a lot of $$. Plus maybe we can learn something cool about our S2Ks because of what you are going through.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=HannibalACP82,May 25 2010, 07:39 AM] Steve,
The S has a rev limiter and I believe it cuts off fuel to the engine when you hit the redline.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Did American Honda help? Curious minds want to know.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Morris,Jun 9 2010, 03:05 PM
Did American Honda help? Curious minds want to know.
I agree. We miss you Steve. What is the status of your S? Hope you are back out and riding with us again soon!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Sorry guys and gals for the long delay in posts, but there really hasn't been that much to update on until recently. The mechanic I'm using who was recommended by s-cargo isn't full time right now and he's been real busy lately. But he got the engine out and looked inside and it looks bad. There is alot of unusual wear in the block and in addition the crank is damaged. I'll have to check on the oil pump to make sure it didn't quit.

To answer your question, Morris: Thomas from American Honda told me that my warranty contract is dead to them, there is nothing they could do. He gave me the number for customer service to file an issue if I wanted. Customer Service told me they couldn't do anything either since I didn't have a Honda Dealer tear the engine apart and give them a full report. She said, "I can write down that some independent mechanic says the damage is consistent with an oil pump going bad, but I doubt Honda is going to look into anything based on your claim."

I offered to ship the motor to a dealer, but she said since it's out of warranty, if a part failed and caused damage, they would just chalk it up to a part going bad after 7 years and call it a day.

Ended up filing the issue and she reluctantly wrote it down and gave me a ticket number. Basically she said that if a recall is determined it would be based on the vin as to who they contact, not from the issue reports.

I just wanted to make sure they had a record in case they start seeing bunches of the same problem pop up, they have some data and could look into it.

Thought they'd be a little more interested, but the end result was basically no dice.

Now I'm finalizing my search for a used engine. Once I get that ordered it will be a week for delivery and probably few more weeks to get it installed depending on the mechanic's schedule. I have a car to drive for now, so I'm not in a big hurry, would rather save some money at this point.

I miss you all too, hopefully it won't be too much longer and I'll be out driving again.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, make sure you replace the clutch while you are there. Otherwise, you'll regret it later. The stock clutch is the same price as a centerforce. Hope to see you on the road soon!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Good luck Steve, hang in there.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Community Organizer

Glad you are still staying positive bro. Looking forward to seeing you S back out on the road soon!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 AM

It's Back!! s-cargo's mechanic friend got everything put back together with a "new" (used) engine and everything seems to be working fine. Sorry I haven't posted earlier, had some vacation time and craziness at work.

I've put about 1000 miles on it so far. So far so good.

What an experience. Definitely not fun, but glad to be driving it again. I pulled up to the mechanic and saw my S and thought, "That's a good looking car." Then I realized, "Hey that's MY car!!" It had been a while since I'd seen it. Thanks to S-Cargo for his advice on the mechanic. And thanks to everyone for your advice and support.

See you on the road...

Quick Reply: Engine trouble - need advice