S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Engine trouble - need advice

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble - need advice

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and just met up with Maury and others to test out the SF10 run last Saturday. During the drive my car started making a clinking sound which got louder quickly and then it stalled out. We were not able to get it jumped, so I had it towed to Baierl Honda in Wexford and found out on Monday that they think the engine has seized!

The oil and coolant levels still look good, but they suspect that it still overheated somehow and were unable to turn the engine crank.

My car:

2003 S2000 with 72K miles
Extended Warranty (7 years/100,000 miles) was up in February of 2010
100% stock

They quoted me $6K to replace the engine with a used one.

$990 for labor
$150 for misc parts
$4860 for a used engine with 61K miles
$650 part for new clutch assembly (optional, no added labor; recommended)

I've been looking around and found a 32K mile engine online from an 03 for $3500 shipped from Engine & Transmission World. Baierl said they would still charge the same for labor and misc to put it in for me. Ebay has a few under $3K + shipping, but they don't all say the mileage or have zero details in the description. Anyone have experience with purchasing used engines/ crate engines from online or through places like Advanced Autoparts?

Any suggestions on what I should do? My feeling is I have to fix it, otherwise I loose all sorts of money selling it as is. Baierl will give me $3500 on it as it sits as a trade-in. How much will a new engine hurt the resale price compared to an all original once it is fixed?

Maury talked to Aldo who has gotten me an in with one of the service advisers at Baierl to check into my options and figuring out the cause (THANKS Maury and Aldo!) I'm going to call that guy first thing this morning, but wanted to get everybody else's take on this also.

I'm thinking I should have them check for a failed oil pump and for bad or loose spark plugs which could have caused this, any other ideas?

Sorry for the long post, I'll update it as I get more info. Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Have an independent mechanic give you a second opinion. If you need a new engine have the independent install a used one, it should cost much less than the dealer quoted.

If the independent says you need an engine, don't waste your money investigating the old one.

A used engine will likely hurt resale a little. If you have good receipts and documentation on the engine itself and from the shop that did the work you should be ok.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,964 Likes on 1,753 Posts

I sent a PM to someone who I think can give you some good advice. I had quite an adventure with my first S a few years ago and had to flatbed it from WV to DC. Mine was not a blown engine, but a problem with the U-joints. I'd definitely try to get an engine with fewer than 61K miles. Hope it all works out for you!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy in Penn hills, who rebuilt my engine and repainted my car can fix it. I know he will be reasonable. PM me if you want his cell number.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I would also write American Honda. This close to the expiration of your warranty, they might cover part of it as a goodwill gesture. Be nice. It doesn't cost to ask.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,527 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,May 12 2010, 08:15 AM
I would also write American Honda. This close to the expiration of your warranty, they might cover part of it as a goodwill gesture. Be nice. It doesn't cost to ask.
My differential went out on a vacation in Yosemite, California. My car had 53,647 miles on it although I was at 32 months old with it. I did not have any extended warranty so it was well over the 36,000 miles warranty. I took my howling Suzuka baby to the nearest Honda dealership, in Modesto, California (Mistlin Honda). Differentials were on back order so I had to leave it for a couple weeks, but they replaced it. I asked nicely and they contacted American Honda. I had to pay $50 for the diagnose fee, and $8.00 for the gear oil. Honda covered the differential!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Community Organizer

Any updates Steve? I hope you are having success with Honda and the warranty as well as figuring out what happened.

I'd offer you a seat in my S for the ride but it's already claimed. I'd check around as I am sure someone has an open seat. At least that way you can still come and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Updates?
Anybody know the OP and can get him back to post?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

^I spoke to him, he will know this week what came apart.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Community Organizer

Word was that he called S-Cargo's (Paul) friend and was working on having the S towed to his shop. The guy helped Paul rebuild his engine and would give Steve the best price and the best service.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble - need advice