S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The end is near

Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Nov 14 2008, 05:05 PM
Did I miss something?

In hopes of helping its teams save money, NASCAR has banned testing by its top three series at tracks that host Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Craftsman races next year.

**Quote from Autoweek article.

I have been reading for the past couple of days that there are issues with money,.

In another sign of the economic hardship hitting the nation and the difficulty remaining competitive in auto racing in such an environment, Chip Ganassi Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc. announced they will join forces next year.

**mLive.com

Tough economic times have led Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates to merge and form a four-car team in 2009.

Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Chip Ganassi Racing, both unable to secure sponsorship to fully fund their teams in 2009, will merge to form a four-car operation.

** ESPN

These articles have been flying about for the past couple of days.
Nope you didnt miss a thing and neither did I, notice what i typed hendricks and rousch will keep right on rolling. They are loaded. The lesser teams do not have the funds.

Notice what the article says

In hopes of helping its teams save money, NASCAR has banned testing by its top three series at tracks that host Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Craftsman races next year.

and what they are doing is not going to help the series it will harm it, as aforementioned the big teams will continue testing and the little teams will fall by the wayside.

Nascar is not in financial trouble but they are smart enough to see that with only a few competitive teams it will ultimately hurt the series and there pockets. Therefore they are trying to keep it in check now with there latest move. The problem is they cannot control what is done at non sanctioned tracks.

also the money issues are not nascars but those of individual teams participating in the series. Nascar as you know is just a sanctioning body

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Nov 14 2008, 05:07 PM
Carmen, I understand, but I think that they are trying to keep competition in line for the tier 2 teams, and maybe even the tier 1 teams too. Who would have thought that Ganassi and DEI would have issues with sponsorship.
DEI is poorly run and managed, it is well documented how Theresa has been running it into the ground since the death of Dale. Also if you dont know of or believe it ask yourself why Dale Earnhardt jr jumped to hendrick this year.

If you were a sponsor where would you choose to spend your 30 million in sponsorship $ ?

Hendricks, Rousch or DEI I highly doubt there are any takers for DEI
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DEI's two major assets were the name DEI and the driver Dale Jr.

Dale Jr. left, which also took some of the luster off the DEI name. C'est la vie.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Nov 14 2008, 04:13 PM
Agreed Ken. But as the other zippy said, the big money teams like Hendrick Motorsports will test at Kentucky and other tracks. I think this will have the effect of giving them an even bigger edge and will do more harm than good as far as leveling the playing field. Like every other major sport, money will eventually ruin NASCAR.
I am sure you are correct. I guess from my perspective when I see Nascar and manoy troubles in the same paragraph, it's very scary for all racing. If they can't get sponsors reliably for the big teams (Obviously not including Roush and Hendricks), then it does not bode well for racing IMHO. Nascar, to me, is the bellwether for racing in this country.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Nov 14 2008, 04:23 PM
DEI is poorly run and managed, it is well documented how Theresa has been running it into the ground since the death of Dale. Also if you dont know of or believe it ask yourself why Dale Earnhardt jr jumped to hendrick this year.

If you were a sponsor where would you choose to spend your 30 million in sponsorship $ ?

Hendricks, Rousch or DEI I highly doubt there are any takers for DEI
I agree with every point that you make, but what is up with Ganassi? He is reason that I took notice to begin with. He's a pretty savvy guy when it comes to race team, and seems to never had problems in the past with sponsors. Theresa Earnhardt is a dimbulb, no questions, but what's up with Ganassi and will Nascar now become the US version of F1, 2 or 3 teams and then everyone else?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Wow...both zips in the same thread.

If you compare this "merger" with the MB/Chrysler merger I think Chip is Mercedes. The analogy may well continue...Chip may be about as happy he decided to gobble up DEI as MB was about its acquisition of Chrysler.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Nov 14 2008, 05:06 PM
If you compare this "merger" with the MB/Chrysler merger I think Chip is Mercedes. The analogy may well continue...Chip may be about as happy he decided to gobble up DEI as MB was about its acquisition of Chrysler.

BTW we're in the TV thread too. My afternoon cappuccino kicked and I turn into a typing fool.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

It will soon become a Toyota spec series....... you heard it first here.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota won the NASCAR truck series championship last night. Johnny Benson beat Ron Hornaday by 7 points. Keep in mind, eash position in NASCAR is worth 5 points. It came down to the last race, last lap, last position. Ya gotta love NASCAR racing.