S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are DVDs Passe?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

^ I have to think about that. Certainly does a lot!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

We have a very simple DVD player. We aren't all that into movies, sound, etc.

We rent from Net Flix, and the DVD player suits our needs.

I guess what you purchase depends on how "into" movies you are.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ I have to think about that. Certainly does a lot!
I can highly recommend this player. And Oppo is one of the most customer oriented companies I've ever encountered.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The thing is, there are lots of old movies I'd like to see again, some repeatedly, and I don't know if I could get them on Blu-Ray. Would it make sense to get a combo Blu-Ray/DVD player? I think I saw some out there. Decisions, decisions...
You don't need a "combo" player unless you have old VHS tapes sitting around.

Blu-Ray players handle DVDs and music CDs just fine. Like I said, they're backwards compatible (I play CDs on my Blu-Ray player a lot). And I'd recommend a high-end unit (like that one Dean's talking about, probably) except things are moving so fast. That $110 Sony looks like something I'd consider, if I were looking for a new gadget. HPH
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM

So I'm guessing my VCR/VD player is way out of date? I have wondered of late what to do about all those VHS tapes I've acquired through the years. Some of them are getting as finicky as my old 8 tracks used to be.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19
So I'm guessing my VCR/VD player is way out of date? I have wondered of late what to do about all those VHS tapes I've acquired through the years. Some of them are getting as finicky as my old 8 tracks used to be.
We actually have two VCR/DVD combos in the house and they do get used. Rick will tape things from TV to watch on the VCR while on the treadmill.

While at Mom's today, my sisters and I noticed she has quite a few VCR tapes, but her VCR is gone. Time to get rid of those tapes, but we didn't want to push our luck going tossing them without letting her know.

She still has a cassette player too, but no eight track.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 AM

Lainey-- Does your VCR/DVD combo burn DVDs? We have one of those, and I think it does (it's not here so I can't check) -- so that you can convert your tapes to digital disk.

Mag tape has a finite lifetime, rather short at that, and if you have tapes that are of value to you, the conversion is a good idea. There are places that'll do that for a fee, of course.

CDs and DVDs are also not thought to be archival quality media, but they'll last longer than tape. HPH
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 AM

I have a Blu-Ray player I got with AMEX points and a Blockbuster account I've had for years. I have no trouble getting the movies I want when I want them (half the time they sit around waiting for me to watch them). I keep my queue full so that when I send them back, 3 more are sent to me.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud
Lainey-- Does your VCR/DVD combo burn DVDs? We have one of those, and I think it does (it's not here so I can't check) -- so that you can convert your tapes to digital disk.

Mag tape has a finite lifetime, rather short at that, and if you have tapes that are of value to you, the conversion is a good idea. There are places that'll do that for a fee, of course.

CDs and DVDs are also not thought to be archival quality media, but they'll last longer than tape. HPH
No it doesn't. We aren't into purchasing movies or watching movies more than once.

I think our entire video collection has a total of three movies. Forest Gump, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and a video of my son's wedding.

I probably should have the wedding video converted to a CD, but I'm not worried about the rest.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

I'm old school. I have a big plasma TV that came with my house and a DVD player. I rent three-at-a-time from Netflix and I'm happy with that. I do have a DVR to record TV shows so I don't have to sit through the commercials if I watch them later.

Quick Reply: Are DVDs Passe?