S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

DVD/ blu-ray player. Any advice?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Apr 15 2009, 11:23 PM
I looked at Sam's Club and then went to Best Buy. Didn't buy anything yet.

Sam's had a Panasonic DMP-BD605 for $278. It had DVD upscaling to 1080 and an HDMI cable included.

Got a friendly guy at Best Buy, happy to educate me. He told me the HDMI cable that comes with the Panasonic from Sam's is very slow and that it might cause lag. He convinced me that I wouldn't want to use it with what I buy. I think my son has bought Monster Cables (various transfer speeds are available) on line and save bookoo bucks.

My education continues. I'm not in a hurry. I will watch regular DVDs and still be happy.
Patty, the new standard is HDMI 1.3 if you get a cable that meets that than the difference between them is $ they cost. If the cable is rated for HDMI 1.3 thats all you have to worry about. If the player at Sams meets the 1.3 standard than the info you received from the best buy guy carries no merit. I did go to the sams club site but the specs of the cable are not mentioned. I would have to suspect it is of the newer standard.

FTR this article mentions that the same player is sold at costco also.

http://formatwarcentral.com/2009/04/01/pan...ands-at-costco/

I could not find it on the costco website though.

The biggest current benefit of the new cable is auto -synching which may be the problem I am having right now with my CC issue.

I am not sure if I have a 1.3 cable I need to get one and see if that cures my problem.

here is an exerpt of a review of the new standard

What
Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

ah Patty, nice young guy from best buy talking out of wrong orifice.

there are two ways to think of speed.
most poeple think of it as getting from point a to point b.
this is measured in the time domain.
you could take any two cables and you would need an extremely high bandwidth oscilloscope to see any difference in time of arrival.

The other speed is in the frequency domain. here a "faster" cable can carry higher frequency information with less loss.
Loss becomes an issue when you try and go far as in beyond 10 feet.
But HDMI is a digital signal. it usually works or it doesn't work with almost nothing in between.
So a cable will work right up until it won't work at a given length.

They make a bloody fortune selling cables that poeple don't need.
So use the one that comes with it unless it doesn't work then go buy the new one.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Apr 15 2009, 10:23 PM
. . . I'm not in a hurry. I will watch regular DVDs and still be happy.
^^ I'm going to fix myself a cucumber sandwich with a side of brussels sprouts and watch a dvd as well. I've had to pick and choose my educational experiences when it comes to electronics wizardry and home theatre products. I'm still managing to be content with just a regular tv and old fashioned dvd/vhs players. I don't even have a big screen, just a 30-something. Works for me. I have to admit I'm somewhat fascinated by what's out there but as long as mine continues to work, I'll keep it. When it takes a powder, I think I'll put in a flat screen something or other. I'll ask advice here first though.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Apr 16 2009, 04:56 AM
ah Patty, nice young guy from best buy talking out of wrong orifice.

there are two ways to think of speed.
most poeple think of it as getting from point a to point b.
this is measured in the time domain.
you could take any two cables and you would need an extremely high bandwidth oscilloscope to see any difference in time of arrival.

The other speed is in the frequency domain. here a "faster" cable can carry higher frequency information with less loss.
Loss becomes an issue when you try and go far as in beyond 10 feet.
But HDMI is a digital signal. it usually works or it doesn't work with almost nothing in between.

They make a bloody fortune selling cables that poeple don't need.
So use the one that comes with it unless it doesn't work then go buy the new one.
Agree! Monster charges big $$$$$ for their HDMI cables. The private label ones at Best Buy, for half the price or less, work just as fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Apr 16 2009, 06:23 AM
^^ I'm going to fix myself a cucumber sandwich with a side of brussels sprouts ...
HOLLYWOOD!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Apr 16 2009, 05:56 AM

There have been many articles and arguments regarding cables over the years. In the analogues environment, the cable can make a difference, in digital, bb has said it all. At the speeds that we are talking here, almost any cable will do the job effectively.

I buy from Ram, they are certified for HDMI 1.3b and they even have a cheaper version. (With all of the cables that I have running around the back of my rack, I just go with the "high priced" version for shielding).

But there are many places to buy "premium" cables that don't cost as much as the equipment.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh and I think that while the Pana is a good price, I believe that you can get you a price in the same vicinity for the Sony 550, which is a far better piece of tech.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Thanks for the cable lesson, guys.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Apr 16 2009, 12:35 PM
Oh and I think that while the Pana is a good price, I believe that you can get you a price in the same vicinity for the Sony 550, which is a far better piece of tech.
100% Go with the originator of BD Sony
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Patty,

I bought the Panasonic Blu-Ray player late last year and love it. I have connected it to the Internet via a wireless modem, so it can automatically download the lastest firmware (important) and can do BDLive (less useful, for me). The Panasonic unit does take a longer time loading than my regular DVD player.

For HDMI cables, there are huge profits to be made with name brands like Monster. I bought all my 1.3 cables from either Monoprice.com or EforCity.com.
Both sites sell high quality HDMI cables for much, much less than what you can find at BestBuy or the warehouse clubs.

Quick Reply: DVD/ blu-ray player. Any advice?