S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

DVD/ blu-ray player. Any advice?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Apr 15 2009, 10:17 AM
BTW, I asked my son his opinion and he said the best way was to get one that plays through your computer to your tv. My daughter has one that has some link to Netflix so you can download blu-rays to it and play them without having to get it in the mail.

HTPC or home theater PC is an option, but it's a very involved one. I haven't built an HTPC because they are computers that play BRs, and you get into a somewhat costly new build or rebuild and you have to be a bit careful on how you do the build.

Streaming is a nice feature. You will want a fairly fast connection for that, I believe that they need at least 10MB. but I could be wrong. I know that it is available for the XBox, and an LG and/or Samsung, but I really don't know a lot about it. That said, I am not sure if you can stream HiDef content, but you might need a connection speed in the 20MB range to stream Blu-Ray. (Blu-Ray content has transfer speeds up to ~18Mb, (I think)

Good luck, and do yourself a favor and look on-line for pricing too.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 15 2009, 09:12 AM
I would probably need to buy a new receiver and speaker system to get any of the added benefit from the dedicated player.
Ahhh, the bottomless pit of technology. The picture is only one benefit of Blu-Ray (a good one mind you), but the audio is also significantly better.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Zippy, you just put a ? in my mouth that has been irking me. Would the HDMI cable cause a delay in the closed captioning of a broadcast channel coming from a direct tv hd receiver?

MY wifes tv displays it fine but mine does not. The difference between hers and mine is I run mine thru a denon AV AVR2307CI receiver via hdmi she runs her receiver straight to her tv. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Apr 15 2009, 05:04 PM
Zippy, you just put a ? in my mouth that has been irking me. Would the HDMI cable cause a delay in the closed captioning of a broadcast channel coming from a direct tv hd receiver?

MY wifes tv displays it fine but mine does not. The difference between hers and mine is I run mine thru a denon AV AVR2307CI receiver via hdmi she runs her receiver straight to her tv. Any ideas?
Now that's one that I am not sure on. I can't come up with an answer as to why the CC would be processed any differently through the Denon or through a cable. The video might very well have a a delay through the Denon, in fact I would expect it, and there should be a setting on the Denon to allow the audio to be deayed, but as far as I know CC is part of the overall video signal.

Sorry, I do some digging.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 PM

^ No problem it does have me miffed also. So I guess we could start at step one and determine which signal carries the CC is it the audio or the video? I would assume video correct?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

dave the audio processor is designed independently from the display.
processing normal audio takes a finite amount of time which can be different from the amount of time it takes to process the image.

Video typically isn't buffered because it takes so much memory but.... you never know..

is the CC decode function being done at the denon and overlayed there or is it being done by the display?

the video signal normally has sideband info carried in either the header or the front and back porch area of the frame during blank and retrace.

so the question is which remote do you select to see CC?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Jerry, the remote I use to see the CC is the direct tv receiver remote well actually it is my Logitech Harmony remote but you know what I mean. Not my tv remote. The signal is funneled via hdmi thru my denon receiver. Im wondering if I have a defect Direct TV Hd receiver as right now the CC is coming thru cleana nd as it should be other times its all garbled and will just stop displaying. As mos tof you know Im pretty deaf so I mainly watch my tv and depend on the CC display along with my cordless headphones. Its a real issue when the CC does not display it actually takes the enjoyment out of watching tv for me. Hence I spend more time on here
Old 04-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

The video out of the receiver would be suspect then.
when you say that it work's on rose's TV, are you working with 2 rcvrs or just one and were they both hooked up at the same time?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,539 Likes on 1,915 Posts

I looked at Sam's Club and then went to Best Buy. Didn't buy anything yet.

Sam's had a Panasonic DMP-BD605 for $278. It had DVD upscaling to 1080 and an HDMI cable included.

Got a friendly guy at Best Buy, happy to educate me. He told me the HDMI cable that comes with the Panasonic from Sam's is very slow and that it might cause lag. He convinced me that I wouldn't want to use it with what I buy. I think my son has bought Monster Cables (various transfer speeds are available) on line and save bookoo bucks.

My education continues. I'm not in a hurry. I will watch regular DVDs and still be happy.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Apr 15 2009, 10:43 PM
The video out of the receiver would be suspect then.
when you say that it work's on rose's TV, are you working with 2 rcvrs or just one and were they both hooked up at the same time?
2 different ones and they are in two different rooms. she has hers on her HDTV and I have mine on my HDTV

Quick Reply: DVD/ blu-ray player. Any advice?