S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 04-13-2015 | 12:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Funny that THIS topic has re-emerged for us...in a low-pressure sort of way. Here's what happened:

1. Week before Easter, I said the Kathy that we should re-evaluate moving to the 1500 square foot condo that we liked and could have bought 2-3 years ago in our town. The amount of exterior work with a large property and 2500 sf 3-story stone house has become a pain and bother; plus it's hard to have someone take care when we travel.

2. Contacted the single woman owner and it's still available...of course for a little more money (TBD) TODAY we gave her the thumbs up and have agreed to negotiate a private transaction (saving 6% RE fee) after we come back from SF '15 and the following week in Cape Cod. Great news is that timing is very flexible for this woman, who is 10 years older the us; would happen in mid-2016. Along with our adult "kids", we took a tour over Easter weekend; and the kids gave their own vote of approval (since the new place would have space for guests).

3. Almost unbelievably, a female high power doctor who contacted us a few months ago with interest in our house....called back to check in on our thoughts. She and hubby want to downsize from THEIR 7,000 sf mansion and love our little 35 house cul-de-sac. They have an agreement of sale on their big house, and are very flexible on timing....willing to move temporarily to an apartment to make the deal work. Anyhow, they are coming to "kick the tires" at the end of the month and we'll see what happens.

4. If the "dollars" are in the right ball park, I think that we are "pumped" to do the deal and put both things into place for mid-2016 We are both pretty motivated to start the de-cluttering process, and thinking postive about the whole concept.

Oh, and among the advantages (in addition to reducing our living expenses and putting CASH in the bank): there is a garage under the condo with TWO spacious parking spaces...maybe even space to squeeze in another vehicle

Since this may or may NOT come to pass, we have not told any friends/ neighbors about it; only our two kids know about this possible big change in our living situation in 2016. THUS, please do not post about it on Facebook, etc....thanks
Old 04-13-2015 | 04:01 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

We sold our 3 bedroom house in January (2650 sq. ft) and moved to a 1065 sq ft. 2 bedroom condo. Hated giving up the freedom of owning the house (no silly rules about when to put the trash out there). Gave away a lot of furniture, stuff in general. Condo living is okay (nice not to have to pay someone to shovel snow) but definitely takes some adjustment.
Old 04-13-2015 | 05:13 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
Funny that THIS topic has re-emerged for us...in a low-pressure sort of way. Here's what happened:

Oh, and among the advantages (in addition to reducing our living expenses and putting CASH in the bank): there is a garage under the condo with TWO spacious parking spaces...maybe even space to squeeze in another vehicle

Since this may or may NOT come to pass, we have not told any friends/ neighbors about it; only our two kids know about this possible big change in our living situation in 2016. THUS, please do not post about it on Facebook, etc....thanks

Here's ( three ) in a two car garage, Jerry...
Old 04-13-2015 | 08:18 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K

1. Week before Easter, I said the Kathy that we should re-evaluate moving to the 1500 square foot condo that we liked and could have bought 2-3 years ago in our town. The amount of exterior work with a large property and 2500 sf 3-story stone house has become a pain and bother; plus it's hard to have someone take care when we travel.

2. Contacted the single woman owner and it's still available...of course for a little more money (TBD) TODAY we gave her the thumbs up and have agreed to negotiate a private transaction (saving 6% RE fee) after we come back from SF '15 and the following week in Cape Cod. Great news is that timing is very flexible for this woman, who is 10 years older the us; would happen in mid-2016. Along with our adult "kids", we took a tour over Easter weekend; and the kids gave their own vote of approval (since the new place would have space for guests).

3. Almost unbelievably, a female high power doctor who contacted us a few months ago with interest in our house....called back to check in on our thoughts. She and hubby want to downsize from THEIR 7,000 sf mansion and love our little 35 house cul-de-sac. They have an agreement of sale on their big house, and are very flexible on timing....willing to move temporarily to an apartment to make the deal work. Anyhow, they are coming to "kick the tires" at the end of the month and we'll see what happens.

4. If the "dollars" are in the right ball park, I think that we are "pumped" to do the deal and put both things into place for mid-2016 We are both pretty motivated to start the de-cluttering process, and thinking postive about the whole concept.

Good for you Jerry. Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-13-2015 | 08:21 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kgf3076
We sold our 3 bedroom house in January (2650 sq. ft) and moved to a 1065 sq ft. 2 bedroom condo. Hated giving up the freedom of owning the house (no silly rules about when to put the trash out there). Gave away a lot of furniture, stuff in general. Condo living is okay (nice not to have to pay someone to shovel snow) but definitely takes some adjustment.
That's an adjustment I hope I never have to make...... we both feel that way, so I don't see it in my future but you never know.
Old 04-13-2015 | 08:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Looter
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1428956765' post='23576394

Here's ( three ) in a two car garage, Jerry...
I had THOUGHT of that method and it might work. OTOH, one of the two spots might accommodate two cars inline without making anyone mad. The garage space in this 8 unit condo is unusually generous. Thanks for sharing the pic, Denny
Old 04-13-2015 | 08:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1428969666' post='23576675
That's an adjustment I hope I never have to make...... we both feel that way, so I don't see it in my future but you never know.
agree or disagree, Dave, but Kathy's feeling is that we both OWE IT TO EACH OTHER to at least de-clutter drastically....

....so that one of us is not left "holding the bag" to clean out 30+ years of crap all by themself
Old 04-14-2015 | 04:28 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1428969666' post='23576675
I don't think we have all that much "stuff" compared to many. Our home of 30 years is just a tad larger than your condo, Ken. You've been to my place right? I don't see a need to downsize, but I do worry if I were alone dealing with the lawn, and the snow and maintenance. OTOH, I don't think I'd like shared walls, rules, limited parking spaces, but you never know. Where one lives and how much they want to deal with often depends on health issues, or what one wants to do with their time.

Rick's sister in law promptly sold her house in FL when Rick's brother passed. She moved back to this area, and is renting an apartment in an old mill building. It's lovely and she's quite happy there.
Old 04-14-2015 | 06:11 AM

As much as I would like the freedom of a condo, I'm not sure I like the restrictions. Most don't have the garage space to accommodate my hobbies. I will definitely downsize in a few years. I'm dealing with 2.5 acres of lawn, and snow removal on a 500' driveway. I have loud neighbors now, so I'm a little afraid of what it will be like when I go to a smaller space. An over 55 community may help. As far as the house goes, I'm currently at ~2200 sq ft. I think I would be happy to cut that back to 1500.
Old 04-14-2015 | 12:17 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1428985270' post='23576878
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1428969666' post='23576675']
Ken. You've been to my place right? [/quote]
I have Lainey. Both Yoon-Hee and I were there a couple of years ago.

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....