S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 01-07-2014 | 04:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by paS2K

Our friends had NINE showings by Realtors in the past 24 hours, and the owners have to vacate the premises. Our friend Paul stopped by our house on Thursday afternoon and he looked exhausted. They are going to have anyone interested in submitting an offer do so on Monday afternoon; hoping to get several offers and see what happens. They have bought/sold a lot of properties at the NJ shore in the past, so they know the ins and outs pretty well. They might get an acceptable offer w/ no contingencies, which would be great for them
Still lots of INTEREST in our friend's house, but no OFFERS yet.

For HGTV junkies, HERE is a video walk-thru of the first floor of their house.
Old 01-07-2014 | 05:40 AM

Hey Jerry. I could send you pictures of my neighbor's 2M house across the street but I respect his privacy. Or I could send you the pictures of my next door neighbor's house with his six car garage and huge man cave but I respect his privacy too!

Lots of people just don't care!!

Barbara
Old 01-07-2014 | 07:28 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Not sure what the problem is. It's a youtube link from the realtor for the purposes (I'd presume) of getting views and interest in the house. This isn't him walking around capturing pics and video on his phone.
Old 01-08-2014 | 11:27 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Not sure what the problem is. It's a youtube link from the realtor for the purposes (I'd presume) of getting views and interest in the house. This isn't him walking around capturing pics and video on his phone.
Thanks for your comment Gary I could not have said it any better, except that I was wondering:

If one "doesn't care", why are they following this thread?

With the low activity lately on the site, why make unnecessary negative comments?
Old 01-24-2014 | 03:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1387330862' post='22927731
[quote name='MsPerky' timestamp='1387102920' post='22923407']
....So the time of year should not be a problem if the house is in a good location and well priced. I love stone houses and probably would buy that in a heartbeat. I guarantee you someone else will, too. ....
So, HERE is our friend's listing on Zillow....just on the market TODAY. What do you think, Deb? There are no interior pics posted yet, but I'm sure there will be shortly. She has a very good eye for decorating and both kitchen/ master bath have been redone within the past 5 years. You can get a good idea of the neighborhood from birds' eye plans.

If you click on the Zillow "street view", you will see that they owner had very good taste in sports cars when the "spring" pic was taken
Must be one great decorator if I read that right… 1979 = $95k, 2012 = $795k. But it does look like a nice house in a nice location.
[/quote]

Final Update: In only 30 days, our friends accepted an offer of $750; has now passed home inspection w/o issues noted. Being bought by two younger MDs. Our friends are thrilled and will reduce their mortgage debt by at least $150k.
Old 01-24-2014 | 04:21 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

As predicted...
Old 01-24-2014 | 06:19 PM

My wife and I bought our first place last year in Socal. The market was moving crazy fast back then. We got outbid 3 separate houses by 3 cash offers even though we offered more. We offered 10 grand more than their listing just to see if that would work. Luck was with us and we got our place. All the houses were sold within 3 days listing.

We have a small 3 bedroom 1400 sq ft with smallish yards. If I we do upgrade, it will be a house with minimum 3 car garage, but anything larger we may suffer from being house poor and that is no way to live.
Old 01-25-2014 | 11:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Terdburgler
We have a small 3 bedroom 1400 sq ft with smallish yards. If I we do upgrade, it will be a house with minimum 3 car garage, but anything larger we may suffer from being house poor and that is no way to live.
Keep in touch with Patty....one never knows. She has a 3 car, low maintenance property and a killer 10 mile view to the west. Coyotes to sing you to sleep= no extra charge Just think of the RE commission that could be saved with a private sale....
Old 01-26-2014 | 04:37 PM

We were forced to downsize after I lost my job in 2008 and it was a blessing in disguise. We couldn't be happier. We are currently renting a 2 br townhouse, and I seriously doubt we'll ever buy another house. The only way I see us ever buying another house is if we win the lottery, in which case I'll need a bigger garage

Compared to mortgage, insurance, property taxes and maintenance and repair costs, the rents in our area are much cheaper. I also like the fact that I don't have to pay for repairs. In addition, if there's ever a problem with neighbors, we can always move without having to worry about selling a house.
Old 01-30-2014 | 05:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Interesting that....in the two months since I started this thread....NO ONE has chosen the POLL answer: "We downsized and not I regret it"

Tony ^^^ makes a good point that owning a home isn't for everyone, and RENTING avoids a lot of bother. It's also no longer the "guaranteed retirement kitty" that it used to be.

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....