S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 12-18-2013 | 04:22 AM

I wish our values went up like that. We paid $190K 20+ years ago, put $80K plus into improvements. It is currently valued at about $275K.

Love the house and the location though.
Old 12-18-2013 | 09:20 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by plantpixie

My neighbor across the street was offered 1.5M for his house and he turned it down. Gorgeous home with Chinese rugs, marble floors, gold chanderliers(SP), and a movie theater. Great family, nice kids and the most generous people. A 3/4A lot but no garage?? Not a car guy!
I've been looking online at homes for sale within an hour of my son's place in Mountain View, CA. It has to have a 3-car garage. That sures narrows down the list.
Old 12-18-2013 | 11:43 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

How serious are you about moving? Would you keep the current place and rent it out or sell it? How do prices compare to where you are now?
Old 12-18-2013 | 12:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by paS2K
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1387102920' post='22923407
....So the time of year should not be a problem if the house is in a good location and well priced. I love stone houses and probably would buy that in a heartbeat. I guarantee you someone else will, too. ....
So, HERE is our friend's listing on Zillow....just on the market TODAY. What do you think, Deb? There are no interior pics posted yet, but I'm sure there will be shortly. She has a very good eye for decorating and both kitchen/ master bath have been redone within the past 5 years. You can get a good idea of the neighborhood from birds' eye plans.

If you click on the Zillow "street view", you will see that they owner had very good taste in sports cars when the "spring" pic was taken
Today I dropped in at my friends house at 12:45. There was a photographer taking the "obligatory" 25 pics for the listing and the Realtors Open House was happening in 15 minutes. My poor friend Paul was down in the basement...furiously trying to move piles of crap from one side to the other in the storage/shop/laundry area I helped for a few minutes and then both of us did this: He told me that he and his son moved loads of STUFF and excess furniture into a rented storage locker yesterday, and he looked exhausted.

If there are interesting updates, I'll come back to this thread in the days/ weeks ahead. It's happened to them so fast that it's like a soap opera.
Old 12-18-2013 | 02:19 PM

My wife and I have moved a couple of times to remain close to our children only to have them relocate in quest of better career opportunities or because of significant events. Our children are young, they’re mobile, they’re forward looking and we don’t expect them to remain static for our behalf; after all…they have their own lives to live and develop. And now…they’re moving once again.

Our chase has finally concluded, we’re presently looking for a desirable home (probably smaller) at a location that will pleasure us and we’ll visit when we can. Either Skype or Face Time will need to fill the void.

Gary

Old 12-18-2013 | 08:32 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MsPerky
How serious are you about moving? Would you keep the current place and rent it out or sell it? How do prices compare to where you are now?
Not very. I'm just looking to see what's available and how much it costs. I would keep this place at first, at least, but not rent it out. I don't like sharing things I value a lot. Prices are super high where I'm looking. I thought Orange County was bad but it's even worse up there.
I think if I moved away from here I would come to realize I do live in a great place. I love my house, view, weather, and the close proximity to the beaches and bike trails, but I also want to be closer to earth that isn't covered with pavement and traffic lights. I think my son will be married within a couple of years and have babies. He's already telling me he wants me to come babysit. It's all just playful thoughts right now.

Originally Posted by skunkworks
My wife and I have moved a couple of times to remain close to our children only to have them relocate in quest of better career opportunities or because of significant events. Our children are young, they’re mobile, they’re forward looking and we don’t expect them to remain static for our behalf; after all…they have their own lives to live and develop. And now…they’re moving once again.

Our chase has finally concluded, we’re presently looking for a desirable home (probably smaller) at a location that will pleasure us and we’ll visit when we can. Either Skype or Face Time will need to fill the void.

Gary
I've kept that in mind. My daughter is currently looking to move closer to Sacramento. My son has a place he bought but he's renting it out until he moves there in May 2014. He will most likely stay in the Mountain View, CA area, working for Google. My daughter, on the other hand will most likely get a higher paying zookeeper job, and leave Sacramento. The closer to my son I get, the higher the home prices are. Even an hour away, it's still pricey.
Old 12-19-2013 | 12:48 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

My bro's two boys have left the nest now. One is in Seattle and the other headed to Chicago. Bro is still working, so not sure if he were to retire they would stay in AZ. I think it's a good idea to base where you want to live on you, not your kids. As you and skunk said, they are a moving target. You said it was more expensive up around Mountain View. That is Silicon Valley, right? Lots of big money there!
Old 12-19-2013 | 03:22 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I've always been amazed at the pricing in the Valley.
The tiny lots that you get for the $$$ is just
Getting a "big" lot with a view requires stupid money. big being an acre....
Old 12-19-2013 | 04:46 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MsPerky
My bro's two boys have left the nest now. One is in Seattle and the other headed to Chicago. Bro is still working, so not sure if he were to retire they would stay in AZ. I think it's a good idea to base where you want to live on you, not your kids. As you and skunk said, they are a moving target. You said it was more expensive up around Mountain View. That is Silicon Valley, right? Lots of big money there!
Yes it is Silicon Valley. I don't know where I want to live but I don't think where I am now is the last place I'll live. I like dirt too much.
Old 12-19-2013 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
I like dirt too much.
You crack me up, Patti!

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....