S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 10-12-2015 | 02:05 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

^ So what else are you going to do with the money? Sounds nice - condo is good.
Old 10-13-2015 | 06:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ So what else are you going to do with the money? Sounds nice - condo is good.
Deb- You may not know my altruistic Kathy well enough. She wants to give some help to our kids; increase our church pledge; etc

We met yesterday with developer and are ALMOST resolved on a deal for the condo. I am thinking about holding out for a 10k reduction in the price....since we are taking some risk by being the first to sign onto the project. They also want a closing in January...while we were thinking about March or April.
Old 10-13-2015 | 06:12 AM
20 Year Member

Jerry, if the $ is there to share with the kids, I say go for it. If I had plenty of cash, I'd rather help my son out now while we are alive, than hope that we are able to leave him a few dollars, when we kick off, if a nursing home doesn't gobble it up.

I have a brother who has been ill. Like many they don't have long term care insurance. Little cash can be sheltered, what has to be done with their nest egg in order to shelter part of it, isn't pretty.

Keep spending. Enjoy your life and if you can share some $ to your kids so they can enjoy theirs too, go for it. You can't take it with you.
Old 10-20-2015 | 11:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Lainey
Jerry, if the $ is there to share with the kids, I say go for it. If I had plenty of cash, I'd rather help my son out now while we are alive, than hope that we are able to leave him a few dollars, when we kick off, if a nursing home doesn't gobble it up.

I have a brother who has been ill. Like many they don't have long term care insurance. Little cash can be sheltered, what has to be done with their nest egg in order to shelter part of it, isn't pretty.

Keep spending. Enjoy your life and if you can share some $ to your kids so they can enjoy theirs too, go for it. You can't take it with you.
Good advice, Lainey! ^ ^ ^

We are about to sign the deal for a new condo (likely tomorrow) and will still have something left over to help out both kids....a little more than we ALREADY are doing.

In terms of health, anyone can get a terrible diagnosis in the wink of an eye....even though you thought they were healthy as a horse.
Old 12-27-2015 | 09:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Wow...two months since I have updated here. Lots of activity with two events coming up:

* Closing on the new condo on Feb 1, 2016...still in our same town. It's a neat conversion of a VINTAGE church sanctuary into 6 units. Walls and stair towers retained, but all new inside the walls. 2 oversize spots in the garage underneath. We'll occupy in mid-February...date TBD.

* Closing on sale of THIS house of 31 years in the first week of March latest....maybe the end of February. Tough to leave behind all the family memories, as this has been "home" for our kids almost all of their lives.

Lots of de-cluttering has been going on for months, as well as selling some things via Ebay and local Facebook e-yardsale; and dozens of bags donated to Purple Heart etc.
Old 12-27-2015 | 09:25 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
Wow...two months since I have updated here. Lots of activity with two events coming up:

* Closing on the new condo on Feb 1, 2016...still in our same town. It's a neat conversion of a VINTAGE church sanctuary into 6 units. Walls and stair towers retained, but all new inside the walls. 2 oversize spots in the garage underneath. We'll occupy in mid-February...date TBD.

* Closing on sale of THIS house of 31 years in the first week of March latest....maybe the end of February. Tough to leave behind all the family memories, as this has been "home" for our kids almost all of their lives.

Lots of de-cluttering has been going on for months, as well as selling some things via Ebay and local Facebook e-yardsale; and dozens of bags donated to Purple Heart etc.
Enjoy your new memories Jerry.
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:58 PM
Member (Premium)

good luck in the new digs.

me 'n the mrs. have decided to keep plugging a way in our ancient shack.

enjoy the new locale,
jagg
Old 12-29-2015 | 01:05 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I saw an article on the development. Looks very interesting.
Old 12-30-2015 | 12:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I saw an article on the development. Looks very interesting.
Thanks Deb....wondering where you saw the article? They have been trying to market the project creatively...as the prices are very high for our (formerly) working class town. Two units sold out of six total in the church. Would post some pics if I had ever figured out how to do it here...
Old 12-30-2015 | 12:56 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Here is the link:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...t-church-site/

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....