S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 08-09-2015 | 07:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The +1 surprised me the other day when he said he wouldn't mind living in Key West. I would not want to live there all the time. I like being based here in DC and using it as our travel base. I'm sure everything will go fine, Jerry. It is a big move. You need to divide stuff into three categories - keep, donate and trash. Use the opportunity to get rid of stuff and not carry it in boxes to another location where it will just sit around again. I'm glad I downsized some years ago to the condo. Right now I'm downsizing again, trying to clear out stuff. Some from my mother's house, some that we just have accumulated and need to get rid of. Gave away my old printer the other day on our building link. It went in about five minutes.
Old 08-09-2015 | 07:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Thx for encouragement Deb. We are well on our way...selling some on eBay/ Craig's list; giving others to Purple Heart or Habitat ReStore; and trashing others. It's a liberating process
Old 08-14-2015 | 11:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

House Inspection yesterday for 2.5 hours, along with a Termite inspection.

SOUNDS LIKE our house passed both with flying colors

Since it's a private sale, both of our attorneys are now in touch; both local and know each other
Old 08-14-2015 | 11:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
House Inspection yesterday for 2.5 hours, along with a Termite inspection.

SOUNDS LIKE our house passed both with flying colors

Since it's a private sale, both of our attorneys are now in touch; both local and know each other
Good luck,Jerry...
Old 08-14-2015 | 01:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Good for you, Jerry. I'm very happy for you.
Old 08-18-2015 | 04:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

On Thursday is the inspection by the TREE GUY.

The buyer is concerned with the 8 or so 100' tall Tulip Poplars on our property....a couple of which overhang our roof. They have never been a worry for us...weathering ice storms, heavy snow and a tornado without significant damage.
Old 08-21-2015 | 05:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
On Thursday is the inspection by the TREE GUY.

The buyer is concerned with the 8 or so 100' tall Tulip Poplars on our property....a couple of which overhang our roof. They have never been a worry for us...weathering ice storms, heavy snow and a tornado without significant damage.
Are they just being inspected for health or for a need to be pruned? I always thought tulip poplars were very hardy and can live for many, many years without problems. We just had a bunch of hickory trees pruned to get branches overhanging the driveway and house cut. It is not cheap and I think the charge was about $200 per hour. They trimmed 10-12 trees and it took no more than 6 hours or so. The cost is relative though. No amount of money would be enough for me to clamp on cleats and shimmy up those trees.
Old 08-27-2015 | 08:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Fun to hear another's "tall tree tale" Val! The visit by a local tree expert was informative, and helpful to assure the probably buyer. Yes, the Tulip Poplars can live for up to 200 years (ours are close to 100) and are "self-pruning". Thus he recommended having the limbs the hang over the "footprint" of the house pruned; they SHOOT a line to an upper branch and then CLIMB. In this area, the rate is $2650/day for a team of 4...2 on the ground and 2 climbers.

We have also now "survived" the buyer's walk-through review of the 31-page Inspection Report earlier this week...whew! The items that were marked "Possible Serious Concern" were almost all over-stated. TODAY was a walk-thru by an Appraiser for the HELOC application....in case we need to funds for a downpayment on a new place....but before this one is sold.

It's all a "new frontier" when you haven't moved for 30+ years!
Old 08-28-2015 | 10:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Jerry, you may find that a day is actually 6 hours of straight work with no breaks other than sips of water. Our guys climbed up on cleats, strapped themselves to safety equipment and used lines to guide the limbs down. It was creepy and hard to watch. I was glad when it was over. Good luck with your sale and purchase of a new home.
Old 09-09-2015 | 05:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Scary update: We have an agreed upon price and the two lawyers are putting together a sales agreement in the next few days.

The longer version is that the buyer reneged on the price agreed upon 6 weeks earlier and had their lawyer email an agreement that was $15k lower than our verbal agreement. EXTREMELY annoying, but I guess it's "par for the course" in a real estate transaction. In the end, we split the difference after 10 days of back-and-forth.

Next chapter: Where and when do we move? To be continued....

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....