S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 08-06-2015 | 09:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1438833871' post='23705633
UPDATE:

Things have moved along a LOT since I posted in April. We now have a very motivated cash buyer for private purchase of our "too big" house, with sales agreement in process and Home Inspection scheduled for next week. The buyer is in LOVE with our house and willing to delay settlement until spring 2016....giving us time to de-clutter from 30+ years of accumulation! I worked very hard to develop COMP figures with assistance from a friend who is a vintage real estate agent; they accepted my "high spot" price w/o any question. Our little town of Narberth is a hot commodity right now. The prospective buyers have already sold their MUCH LARGER (2.5X) house; have the cash in the bank; and are looking at our house as a down-size

What could go wrong?
So, going to be moving to Ray's neighborhood? Remember, tax-free shopping, low real estate taxes, mild winters, and great neighbors. What more could you want?
Gene- We would LOVE to stay in our town, but options are pitifully limited except for smaller digs that would INCREASE our costs (due to condo fees and developer profits ) Most likely, we will either STAY in Narberth in a large rental apartment (money stays in the bank and easy to move on to the nursing home :slap; ) .... or else move to one of a couple condo communities to the WEST 10-15 miles where land value is cheaper.
Old 08-06-2015 | 09:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1438833871' post='23705633
UPDATE:

Things have moved along a LOT since I posted in April. We now have a very motivated cash buyer for private purchase of our "too big" house, with sales agreement in process and Home Inspection scheduled for next week. The buyer is in LOVE with our house and willing to delay settlement until spring 2016....giving us time to de-clutter from 30+ years of accumulation! ...
Congrats! That's great! Hope it all goes well for you.
Thanks Roseanne...may have a better idea on "what's next" by the time I see you in September.
Old 08-06-2015 | 09:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
I hope it all goes well. That's got to be a pretty big change after 30 years.

fltsfshr
You are right about that, Grant! It's probably EASIER to move for a corporate climber who moves around the country....or a military/ diplomat family that has to move every 2-3 years.

The option to only move 10-15 miles away is CLOSE enough to keep our church, doctor, dentist and best friends in our town.
Old 08-07-2015 | 02:14 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

The +1 surprised me the other day when he said he wouldn't mind living in Key West. I would not want to live there all the time. I like being based here in DC and using it as our travel base. I'm sure everything will go fine, Jerry. It is a big move. You need to divide stuff into three categories - keep, donate and trash. Use the opportunity to get rid of stuff and not carry it in boxes to another location where it will just sit around again. I'm glad I downsized some years ago to the condo. Right now I'm downsizing again, trying to clear out stuff. Some from my mother's house, some that we just have accumulated and need to get rid of. Gave away my old printer the other day on our building link. It went in about five minutes.
Old 08-07-2015 | 08:17 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The +1 surprised me the other day when he said he wouldn't mind living in Key West. I would not want to live there all the time. I like being based here in DC and using it as our travel base....
I agree with your +1 Deb. I would love to live at KW but my +1 is categorically against it.
Old 08-07-2015 | 10:07 AM
Former Moderator
20 Year Member

The +1 surprised me the other day when he said he wouldn't mind living in Key West. I would not want to live there all the time. I like being based here in DC and using it as our travel base. I'm sure everything will go fine, Jerry. It is a big move. You need to divide stuff into three categories - keep, donate and trash. Use the opportunity to get rid of stuff and not carry it in boxes to another location where it will just sit around again. I'm glad I downsized some years ago to the condo. Right now I'm downsizing again, trying to clear out stuff. Some from my mother's house, some that we just have accumulated and need to get rid of. Gave away my old printer the other day on our building link. It went in about five minutes.
I think also KW's a runner's paradise!
Old 08-07-2015 | 12:40 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1438942473' post='23707038
Quess I wouldn't be welcome. Here I thought it was the rum.
Old 08-07-2015 | 01:27 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by MsPerky' timestamp='1438942473' post='23707038
yep I could cope with all of those hills
Old 08-07-2015 | 01:38 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by S1997' timestamp='1438970876' post='23707543
[quote name='MsPerky' timestamp='1438942473' post='23707038']
[/quote]

Believe me, they would love you down there. About 300 bars!
Old 08-07-2015 | 07:27 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1438980032' post='23707709
[quote name='S1997' timestamp='1438970876' post='23707543']
[quote name='MsPerky' timestamp='1438942473' post='23707038']
[/quote]

Believe me, they would love you down there. About 300 bars!
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....