S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you considered moving to smaller digs?
We are too young and/or still NEED a large home
2.86%
We HAVE already downsized and love it!
17.14%
We have downsized but now REGRET doing it
0%
We are investigating downsizing in 2-3 years
20.00%
We plan to stay in our home and "age in place"
31.43%
We never UPSIZED so are fine where we are!
20.00%
SINGLES, or another answer....see my comment.
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Downsizing Dilemma....

Old 04-16-2015 | 03:43 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Here are my thoughts on downsizing to a condo. I live in "God's Waiting Room" with lots of condos. Unfortunately they come with neighbors and condo associations. I can't tell you how many unhappy retired people live in condos. Most come from a successful background and a nice house with a yard.

Suddenly they're in a beautiful condo with all the amenities but they have nothing to do. The rumor mill runs rampant. Former power brokers now retired are in need of an outlet. They all have lawyers. Let the lawsuits begin. Association bylaws are enforced to the letter, power fights go on and on and on. Condo commandos are everywhere. They come in both sexes and are injurious to your health.

If you're thinking of a condo, look hard at a smaller house and divert funds to do the maintenance. It's usually cheaper and most certainly less stressful. If you're into being in charge, go for the condo and enjoy the carnage.

That's my 2 cents worth

fltsfshr
Old 04-16-2015 | 06:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Here are my thoughts on downsizing to a condo. I live in "God's Waiting Room" with lots of condos. Unfortunately they come with neighbors and condo associations. I can't tell you how many unhappy retired people live in condos. Most come from a successful background and a nice house with a yard.

Suddenly they're in a beautiful condo with all the amenities but they have nothing to do. The rumor mill runs rampant. Former power brokers now retired are in need of an outlet. They all have lawyers. Let the lawsuits begin. Association bylaws are enforced to the letter, power fights go on and on and on. Condo commandos are everywhere. They come in both sexes and are injurious to your health.

If you're thinking of a condo, look hard at a smaller house and divert funds to do the maintenance. It's usually cheaper and most certainly less stressful. If you're into being in charge, go for the condo and enjoy the carnage.

That's my 2 cents worth

fltsfshr
Grant- There's a lot of truth to your amusing comments, and I think Florida could be especially bad in this respect. Our proposed condo is only 8 units; there is little turnover; most owners are 50+ and no kids (to make noise). We been inside several times and walk past the building frequently....never a noise issue from inside or outside. One of the owners is the "manager" and takes care of maintenance; the monthly fee has not changed in 4 years or more...yet it's well-kept.

Nothing is ideal, but we REALLY want a place where we can close the door; lock it; and travel for weeks or even a month in the "sun". Once you start the "cleanout" of closets, basement, garage and attic areas....it's AMAZING how much crap is hidden away. We're not even serious about it yet...but Kathy has come up with at least 6 boxes of CLOTHING to give to Purple Heart.

We ALREADY live in two places with community decision-making in one way or another. The main house is an fore-runner of an HOA with common ownership of central park area, roads, sidewalks, trees and landscape; annual meeting, board of directors, spring/fall workdays; it works pretty well with only minor conflicts among the 35 homes. Our summer cottage is on 25 acres of wooded property owned in common among 6 families...also works pretty well...except for one country yokel with GTO's and parts always spilling out of his garage This COTTAGE still gives us lots of place to garden and enjoy the outdoors...whereby both of those features will be very limited if we do the "condo move".

On Sunday April 26, the prospective "cash buyer" who is interested in THIS house is dropping in for a visit. While we're not officially "staging" this place, we are doing a little bit of that de-junking to avoid making rooms look small (b/c they are overstuffed). It's sort of an adventure and will see how it turns out over the next two months of "due diligence" on both transactions. No MOVE until 2016...if then
Old 04-16-2015 | 06:50 PM
20 Year Member

Grant, condo's are not for everyone for the reasons you mention and I agree with your solution. I've a good friend who "could not wait" to end yard work and after 2 years he hates it. And, they travel; in fact, he just got back from 6-weeks out West. Still, he's sorry. And, he's in a small complex too. The "rules" drive him nuts along with the age of many of his neighbors. I've got another friend who just moved in to one. It will be interesting to see what he says after a couple years.
Old 04-17-2015 | 02:20 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I've lived in a condo since 1996 (same building - two apts), after 24 years of owning various houses. I love it. Maybe this condo is different. I don't find there are that many rules, at least any I have a problem with. The location is fantastic and the view is, too. Maintenance staff takes care of any smaller problems. Near the airport so travel is easy. Walk or subway almost everywhere. The residents are all ages from college students to retirees. Locking the door without worrying is a big plus - 24-hr manned desk and a convenience store in the basement that also has a dry cleaning service. It's hard to beat. The +1 loves it, too, and we have no plans to leave - ever.
Old 04-17-2015 | 05:54 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

We're on the inexorable march towards downsizing which I dread.
I know we need to do it but I'm not looking forward to it.
I don't do rules well. I hate waiting in line. I like my space.
If I want to be loud, I want to be loud.
It would not appear that a condo will do me well.
Old 08-05-2015 | 08:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

UPDATE:

Things have moved along a LOT since I posted in April. We now have a very motivated cash buyer for private purchase of our "too big" house, with sales agreement in process and Home Inspection scheduled for next week. The buyer is in LOVE with our house and willing to delay settlement until spring 2016....giving us time to de-clutter from 30+ years of accumulation! I worked very hard to develop COMP figures with assistance from a friend who is a vintage real estate agent; they accepted my "high spot" price w/o any question. Our little town of Narberth is a hot commodity right now. The prospective buyers have already sold their MUCH LARGER (2.5X) house; have the cash in the bank; and are looking at our house as a down-size

What could go wrong?
Old 08-06-2015 | 01:46 PM
20 Year Member

Jerry, downsizing

Old 08-06-2015 | 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K
UPDATE:

Things have moved along a LOT since I posted in April. We now have a very motivated cash buyer for private purchase of our "too big" house, with sales agreement in process and Home Inspection scheduled for next week. The buyer is in LOVE with our house and willing to delay settlement until spring 2016....giving us time to de-clutter from 30+ years of accumulation! ...
Congrats! That's great! Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 08-06-2015 | 03:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

I hope it all goes well. That's got to be a pretty big change after 30 years.

fltsfshr
Old 08-06-2015 | 03:24 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
UPDATE:

Things have moved along a LOT since I posted in April. We now have a very motivated cash buyer for private purchase of our "too big" house, with sales agreement in process and Home Inspection scheduled for next week. The buyer is in LOVE with our house and willing to delay settlement until spring 2016....giving us time to de-clutter from 30+ years of accumulation! I worked very hard to develop COMP figures with assistance from a friend who is a vintage real estate agent; they accepted my "high spot" price w/o any question. Our little town of Narberth is a hot commodity right now. The prospective buyers have already sold their MUCH LARGER (2.5X) house; have the cash in the bank; and are looking at our house as a down-size

What could go wrong?
So, going to be moving to Ray's neighborhood? Remember, tax-free shopping, low real estate taxes, mild winters, and great neighbors. What more could you want?

Quick Reply: Downsizing Dilemma....