S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Does the X-brace really make a difference?

Old 11-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default Does the X-brace really make a difference?

For the last two years I've been thinking about buying an X-brace for my S. I find the idea intriguing. Anything that can stiffen your frame and make the car handle better seems good to me. Handling is for me the best, most important part of an S2000. I've helped one of my fellow NYC Metro members install one a few years ago, but I've never actually driven or ridden in an S2000 with an X-brace installed.

The one that I'd like to buy is the X-brace being offered by Rick's. It is expensive, but I've just read that Rick's is having a 10% off holiday sale which makes the purchase more attractive. If Rick's is not available, I'd buy the one offered by Muz. Thats the one I helped install, and it too seems quite satisfactory.

In any event, every time I think about buying one, I read somewhere or another that they really don't make much difference and are not worth the money. Thats the reason for this question. If you have one, does it make a difference? Can you tell the difference? Would you buy it again?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The consensus in the racing and comp forum is that they are useless, although there are dissenters. I've yet to see anyone post any data showing that they reduce lap times. (To do that right, though, it would have to be a blind test where the driver doesn't know if it is installed or not. Difficult to arrange!)
Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Mike,

Thats what I've read as well, and thats whats kept me from buying. I have read however that on the street, particularly over rough or bumpy pavement it makes quite a difference as the increased stiffness increases the steering control.

I'm hoping that members with actual experience will comment.

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Count me among the 'dissenters' I cannot give any lap time examples, but about a month prior to the Lake George weekend I added the Comptech X-brace and Ti 'strut' brace to the front of my '01 (I couldn't see the point in stiffening the top without also doing something to the bottom). Car still has stock sway bars and springs.

I've been impressed with the rigidity of the "S" from the day I first drove it (relative to any other soft top I'd ever driven)... but the difference in rigidity after adding the strut bar and brace is remarkable. You can tell the difference almost as soon as the car starts to roll, and it is certainly noticeable even in a straight line at speeds under 30. What it does for 'feel' and control in the twisties simply takes the car up another couple of notches.

I was afraid that stiffening the front and not doing anything to the rear would upset the balance of the car. I haven't auto-x'd it this way yet, but for energetic street driving I love it.

Since I did not add them separately, I cannot tell how much of the improvement is due to the strut bar or the x-brace. I can say that the Comptech parts went on without having to bend or pry anything.... but they are snug.

The x-brace does not interfere with oil/filter changes... nor does it force you to make a mess.

It has made the 'ride' harsher, but I personally like feeling everything that the car is doing. I also liked the feel of the car in the wet (the REAL wet) at some pretty healthy speeds traveling to and from Lake George.

I like what both pieces have done to the car.... a lot!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one...don't really feel a difference.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Whiteline brace form Muz. It took ten minutes to install. It seems well made light weight and pretty. The one benefit I'm sure of, is that it makes the car feel a little tighter (less nervous) on the crummy roads around here. If somebody removed it from my car tonight, I probably wouldn't notice the difference tomorrow. There might be a touch of placebo effect going on, but like a bunch of the other little mods I've done, I like having it. For me, it's just another way to have a little fun with my car. No buyer's remorse here. I'd do it again.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 17 2005, 07:11 PM
Thats what I've read as well, and thats whats kept me from buying. I have read however that on the street, particularly over rough or bumpy pavement it makes quite a difference as the increased stiffness increases the steering control.
This really doesn't make any sense, from an engineering perspective. Rough and bumpy pavement is where you want some compliance. Smooth pavement is where you want it to be stiff.

Having gotten a good look at the structure of the S2000, my estimate as an engineer is that the X-brace and the strut tower bar are "psychological stiffening" at best. But that's just my opinion, and it's an opinion not based on actually installing one. (Also keep in mind I'm an aeronautical engineer, conditioned to get weight out of things rather than to add it in!)

I have not installed one on my car, and am extremely unlikely to do so in the future, absent hard data from controlled testing. But lots of other people have lots of other criteria for modding their car, and obviously some of them are quite pleased by their X-braces.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 17 2005, 11:28 PM
I have not installed one on my car, and am extremely unlikely to do so in the future, absent hard data from controlled testing. But lots of other people have lots of other criteria for modding their car, and obviously some of them are quite pleased by their X-braces.
That is exactly my dilemna. I've read that it does nothing yet people whose opinions I have a great deal of confidence in such as Canberra and Frank seem very happy with it. Yet at the same time, Marco, whose judgement I trust feels that it does nothing.

If I knew that I would have the same reaction that Roy (Canberra) has I'd order it tonight.

I am leaning towards it, but I hope to hear a few more opinions.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the xbrace is a great investment .. I think I feel a difference and I KNOW it saved my oil pan a couple of years ago.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 17 2005, 11:28 PM
Having gotten a good look at the structure of the S2000, my estimate as an engineer is that the X-brace and the strut tower bar are "psychological stiffening" at best. But that's just my opinion, and it's an opinion not based on actually installing one. (Also keep in mind I'm an aeronautical engineer, conditioned to get weight out of things rather than to add it in!)
Mike -

The Comptech x-brace is certainly 'aero' in its design, and their current 'Ti' strut brace is definitely light. I don't like adding weight, either... so I thought long and hard before adding these parts.

One of the reasons I finally decided to add these pieces was the incredible difference top and bottom strut braces made on my "daily driver" '93 Integra. Totally changed the personality of the car (for the better)! Again, both were added at the same time, so I can't say if one was more responsible for the improvement than the other.

Difference wasn't as dramatic on the "S", but there is indeed a difference.

Might be a placebo... but it is one I can feel in the seat of my pants

Quick Reply: Does the X-brace really make a difference?