S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Does anyone else have this computer problem w/S2KI

Old 12-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have DSL at home and mine times out when trying to go from home to the forums, or trying to open a thread. I get a white page with "done" at the bottom.
I can reboot and dump cookies but that doesn't seem to help. This isn't an everytime i sign on thing, just on occasions
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a nameserver problem somewhere upstream of those of us who are having problems. The intermittency in both space (locations) and time would seem to point to this.

That said, all of the suggestions here are Good Things To Do -- and here's another:

Right now (see message time stamp) do a Windows Update. Microsoft put new stuff up today. HPH
Old 12-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I just got home, and was able to log onto the site without any problems. This is the first time I've been on from home since yesterday early evening.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Dec 15 2005, 07:18 PM
I think this is a nameserver problem somewhere upstream of those of us who are having problems. The intermittency in both space (locations) and time would seem to point to this.

That said, all of the suggestions here are Good Things To Do -- and here's another:

Right now (see message time stamp) do a Windows Update. Microsoft put new stuff up today. HPH
I agree. Dr. Cloud, do I detect a Unix background (nameserver reference)?

Ralper - are you using the same provider at home and work? If so, the problem is most likely local to your machine/network. If not, you may want to check with your service provider to see if they can connect to s2ki.com.

If you can connect using the IP address but not with the domain name, then it's definitely a name resolution problem.

Disregard the above. This is very curious though.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by raymo19,Dec 15 2005, 07:41 PM
Ralper - are you using the same provider at home and work? If so, the problem is most likely local to your machine/network. If not, you may want to check with your service provider to see if they can connect to s2ki.com.
raymo,

No, they are two different providers.

Tonight I can connect from home without any problem. The connection is consistant and fast.

I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of activity at S2KI. Early this morning (5:30 am EST) I was unable to connect, and normally, this is a very slow time for S2KI.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Rob, it sounds like the problem might be your ISP. I've had similar things happen (not necessarily S2Ki realted) in the past, where I either had reeeeal slow connection/response to a wensite, or the connection attempt failed due to DNS failing at my ISP's servers.

I primarily use Opera, and only use IE6.x when a specific site requires it. Opera is similar to Firefox, has the tabbed browser windows, etc, and is quite fast.

Tom
Old 12-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by tomcatt,Dec 15 2005, 10:08 PM
Rob, it sounds like the problem might be your ISP. I've had similar things happen (not necessarily S2Ki realted) in the past, where I either had reeeeal slow connection/response to a wensite, or the connection attempt failed due to DNS failing at my ISP's servers.

I primarily use Opera, and only use IE6.x when a specific site requires it. Opera is similar to Firefox, has the tabbed browser windows, etc, and is quite fast.

Tom
Tom,

You are probably right. At this point, when I can't connect, I just assume that within a few hours or a day it will clear up.

On the bright side of things, I've discovered, and I am amazed at how much I can actually get done when I know that I can't get on S2KI. It is truly amazing. This evening, when I found that I could connect I was happy to be able to post again, and disappointed in knowing that other, more important things will go undone for another night.