S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Does anyone else have this computer problem w/S2KI

Old 12-10-2005, 04:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default Does anyone else have this computer problem w/S2KI

Lately I've had a computer problem with S2KI and I can't figure it out. It appears and disappears mysteriously.

I will get onto the internet and try to get into the S2KI website, through MyS2KI, Forums or Home Page. In any event, the bar down at the bottom of IE will say done, but I am still on my home page (MSN.com). Sometimes I will get the progress bar, but it will time out and tell me that the site is unavailable. Most of the time, nothing happens. I assume that S2KI is down, but I continue to get e-mail notifications from the site of postings to threads that I'm subscribed to. The other night I sent Jerry an e-mail asking if he was having problems and he said that he was able to get in without any problem.

All the while, I can visit any other site that I want without any problems. I reboot my computer but it doesn't make any difference.

A while later, if I try again, sometimes the problem is gone, sometimes it isn't. For example, all last night I couldn't get in, and when I put my computer back on this morning, I couldn't get in, but about 45 minutes ago, I had no problem getting in.

I've deleted all of my cookies, and my temp files, but it hasn't made any difference.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob -- I've had slow response times from S2Ki, but nothing like what you describe.

One difference between us (and "one" is operative here) is that I don't use an on-line home page -- I put together a local html file with a picture I like and frequently-used links to google etc and set my browser (which is Firefox, perhaps another difference) to see the local file as the home page. You can also, of course, set most browsers to a blank home page via preferences or tools/options. Have you tried this? (The hypothesis being tested would be that msn.com has some hook to your browser that's screwing up getting to S2Ki.) HPH
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree with DocC. Response times are sometimes slow, but not to the extent that you are seeing.

Are you running any spyware/adware killers?

I am also not using IE, I use NetCaptor.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem here Rob...maybe try a different browser. I use Firefox.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by matrix,Dec 10 2005, 10:21 AM
No problem here Rob...maybe try a different browser. I use Firefox.
I have the same problems with Firefox. I use Norton Antivirus and AdAware.

If the problem was consistant, I'd think that there was some sort of problem with the software or my connection, but this happens arbitrarily. It's not at all predictable.

I thought it my be my provider (OptimimumOnLine) but I don't seem to have any problems getting into any of the other sites that I frequent. My internet seems normal at all times except for this problem with S2KI.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Its probably not your browser, Rob. I've had similar difficulty with Firefox and other browsers as well when logging on to S2ki. It got really bad for a while and then miraculously cleared up with no action on my part. On occasion it happens and I believe that at the time you log on the server is extremely busy. It happens to me sometimes with another very busy forum that I frequent, so I think it is forum-related. I also think maybe sometimes my firewalls, blockers, etc. may contribute to the problem because for some reason right now I'm getting hit with a lot of virtual pirates and its working my blockers overtime.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 10 2005, 10:46 AM
Its probably not your browser, Rob. I've had similar difficulty with Firefox and other browsers as well when logging on to S2ki. It got really bad for a while and then miraculously cleared up with no action on my part. On occasion it happens and I believe that at the time you log on the server is extremely busy. It happens to me sometimes with another very busy forum that I frequent, so I think it is forum-related. I also think maybe sometimes my firewalls, blockers, etc. may contribute to the problem because for some reason right now I'm getting hit with a lot of virtual pirates and its working my blockers overtime.
Val,

I'm glad to hear that you had the same problem. It was especially bad during the "Politics" debate and for a while I thought it might've been that I was in the process of being banned. Just as I was getting ready to give up on S2KI, I got access again.

Now it comes and goes. Usually its not too bad, but last night though early this morning I couldn't get in at all even though I was getting e-mail notification of other postings.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I had the same feeling and it was realllllly bad at the beginning of the politics discussion. I didn't log on for a few days and when I did everything was fine. I got a "server too busy" message several times several days ago, but re-logged in and everything was fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 10 2005, 11:10 AM
I had the same feeling and it was realllllly bad at the beginning of the politics discussion. I didn't log on for a few days and when I did everything was fine. I got a "server too busy" message several times several days ago, but re-logged in and everything was fine.
Problem is I don't get the "server too busy" message. I just don't go anywhere.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Rob

I have the same problem from time to time. I travel for a living, so I use the same computer from differant locations throughout the US. Sometimes I have the problem and other times I don't. But it is always location based. Since I am a computer consultant in real life, I looked deeper into my issues. As it turns out, it is more the nature of the internet as a distributed network, managed by thousands of ISP. Rember the internet was created by the defence department as a communications network without a single point of failure that could be attacked. This is where the problem you are having comes in, that distributed nature is the cause. There is a miss configuration in your path to s2ki.com from where you connect. There is a router that is miss configured or has an imtermittant problem. So the only thing you can do it change ISP.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have this computer problem w/S2KI