S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you worry?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=OhioRacer,Jan 4 2005, 11:23 AM] Folks,

I believe grandmother is claiming that she is sane. Waddya think? Jerry, start a poll.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 AM

In January 2004 my parents were living alone. Then we couldn't ignore what we were seeing. We knew Mom had dementia for some time. But Dad couldn't hide it any more. To make the long story... Mom and Dad are both in a Health Care Center for Alzheimer
Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 4 2005, 07:18 AM
Pox on the house of Kyras for starting the worry thread. Now I have to worry about keeping up with the worry posts. P.S. I also have to worry about the Steelers winning the Super Bowl.
Last year at this time I think many of us were worried about you, Carmen. At least this year, that worry is gone.

Sometimes when I try to sleep the worries won't go away. I'm not a church-goer, but I do repeat to myself, Let go, Let God. If my actions can't help me worry less, then there's nothing I can do so I tell myself to let go.

My 16 year-old son got his driver's license in September. In order not to worry about him driving the 21 miles each way to his high school, I haven't let him drive it alone yet. We have had some rainy, cold weather the past couple of weeks and I'm so glad I drove yesterday and today. Yesterday the freeway went from 70 mph down to 20 mph, and I don't know if he could have reacted correctly then. Today, a van turned left and cut out in front of me, and then did 25 mph. I had to slow down quickly and felt the car slide a bit when I hit a bit of ice. Once again, I was really glad I was behind the wheel and not Kyle.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

[QUOTE=indianabeck,Jan 4 2005, 10:17 AM] In January 2004 my parents were living alone. Then we couldn't ignore what we were seeing. We knew Mom had dementia for some time. But Dad couldn't hide it any more. To make the long story... Mom and Dad are both in a Health Care Center for Alzheimer
Old 01-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I have to say I'm not much of a worrier, and I try not to worry about things I have no control over. I'd rather concentrate on doing something about the things I can. Like my mother's serious back problem, investigating treatments, etc. I just feel better when I'm being proactive rather than reactive.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jan 4 2005, 01:33 PM
This is about where I'm at with my dad and step-mom. Dad has Alzheimer's and step-mom pretends she's OK but she's not either. Was it hard to talk them into moving in to a place? My dad's been in the same house for over 50 years.
Dad had been taking care of Mom for 15 years as she got worse hiding it from everyone. The load got to be too much and was crushing him. He resisted some (Mom did a lot) but I was able to convince him. I told Dad that he needed to be Mom's husband, not her nurse. I said that she was no longer safe without 24/7 skilled care. I didn't say he could not provide that care, rather that he couldn't do it 24/7. He knew it was killing him.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by indianabeck,Jan 4 2005, 01:17 PM
However lots of times I am really depressed when I leave them after a vistit. I guess it will just take some time.
Indiana,

I know how you feel. My mom was in a skilled nursing facility (fancy name for nursing home) for 6 years after a stroke. I couldn't stand leaving. It broke my heart.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jan 4 2005, 01:29 PM
Last year at this time I think many of us were worried about you, Carmen. At least this year, that worry is gone.
Yes my friend from the left coast. You are correct. Thanks to my Vintage friends and a few pre-vints (don't let that bastard Marco read this... ) things are much better in 2005. Working on goals for the year as we speak. One on the list, which started yesterday, is to lose 25 lbs.

Patty, one of the hardest things a parent does is hand the kids car keys. Talk about worry! My son, who you have met, now has his own car and drives to school and work. One day we had a bad snow storm. I wanted SO BAD to drive him to work. BUT, the kid lives in the midwest and we have snow in the winter. No way around that. So, he has to learn sometime. So I let him go. He got half way and had to turn around. At least he tried, learned a little, and got back home safely. Whew.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Ahh, my dear, dear OhioRacer!!! Yep, we had a little bit of drama and a little worry about you, but . . . YOU, my friend, are the person who can take a huge bit of credit for making us the family that we are!!! and I am thrilled that you are doing so well as this new year rolls around. My dad died a little bit a time over a period of 15 years -- I cannot describe even today the toll it took and I still have a over all that he experienced. I sleep better at night knowing that for that entire 15 years of illness he always knew he was loved by his children and my dear little feisty Native American Mother who took such wonderful care of him and loves him as much today as she did when they were married even though he's been dead now for almost 10 years.
Today I went to court with my daughter -- another potential worry situation -- for a reckless driving ticket she got from her auto accident -- BIG POTENTIAL WORRY situation -- but, just as Carmen said -- they have to do it. I've done the best that I could do with regard to teaching her, sending her to driving school and issuing all the cautionary statements that I can issue. So -- I have to let her make mistakes and just know that I've done my best. Her reckless driving offense was reduced by the judge to improper driving. and the judge was very understanding about how the whole accident happened. I am thankful that the accident was not serious, that she has perhaps now learned to be more careful and that she is a very sweet person.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

^ Good news, Darlene!!

Quick Reply: Do you worry?