S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you worry?

Old 01-03-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 3,478 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Thumbs up Do you worry?

After seeing the thread on "what you hope to accomplish this year", I couldn't think of anything except getting a grip on the worry I have about my dad who has Alzheimer's. Sometimes it takes over. I worry about my kids to a much lesser degree and that is very manageable.

I wondered what worries other Vintage Owner's (or pre-vint's), and to what degree.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Patty,

This is a great topic. We all worry about something. Some of mine are:

1. My mother. She and my father had been married 61 years when he passed away last September. They'd known each other for 65 years. Now, all of a sudden she's an old lady (83) and she's all alone. My sister and I pay as much attention to her as we can but, her companion is gone and she's all alone. Sometimes she's with us and sometimes she's completely lost.

2. My kids education. Especially my older son. He's a junior in high school and on the verge of college. He'll get in, and we've saved for tuition for a long time, still, it's something that we worry about. (The little one too. He's got time, but still we worry.) We also worry about whether or not they will make something of themselves.

3. Our health. My sister's family and my family have always been pretty healthy, but we're all getting older, and you never know.

4. The future. I am an old time optimist. I've always believed that the future will always be better than the present. I still belive that, and always will. It's just that sometimes I wonder if I'm right.

Other than those things and a few other small things, my reply to you, much like Alfred E. Neuman would say, is, "What, me worry?"
Old 01-03-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 4,234 Likes on 3,297 Posts

Some things I worry about
1. My nephew. He recently bought a motorcycle and I worry about him getting hurt on it. I also worry about him in general as he is a young man living a young mans life.
2. I worry about my sister she is on her own and I don't live close by her anymore I can't just pop over if she needs me. I have occasional dreams related to this.
3. I worry about my parents as they get older.
4. I worry about the state of the world with fires, floods terrorism etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Now that I'm a consultant, I worry about looking for the next assignment in 6-9 months. After my last job ended, I was extremely lucky to find a well-paid consulting spot in a few weeks....but it probably won't be that easy next time....

I have come to realize that our $ security is all on my shoulders....current income, healthcare, longterm care insurance, retirement planning. In spite of our high net worth, I DO wake up early many days and worry about these things....in spite of myself

Luckily, I've got a few months to put together my game plan...
Old 01-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Received 808 Likes on 483 Posts

I worry about my mother's health, although it seems to be good. I worry about the safety and security of my children and grandchildren. I worry about the state of the nation, the war, etc.
I do NOT worry over $$ issues -- I feel that I've been blessed, I try to be a good steward and plan as much as anyone can plan for the future, so money is not something I worry about. Wealth is TOTALLY relative -- rich to some is just getting by to someone else. I'm at the poverty level compared to the likes of Bill Gates, however, compared to someone on welfare, I'm rich. When one's health is seriously bad or one is dying, money becomes a totally unimportant issue. I'd rather spend my meager worry time on something of real value -- my family. Kyras, my heart hurts for you and your family.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

As a rule, I'm a worrier. When things are going on, especially with family, I go into "high speed worry mode".

This I know is totally useless, worrying accomplishes nothing, so I'm trying to work on that.

I try to keep two sayings in mind.

"Fear of the event is usually worse than the actual event."

And

"Worry is the thief of joy."

Keeping these above sayings in mind doesn't always help, but since worrying does not change the outcome of things, I'll keep trying to minimize my worry time.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate this thread. . Worry is part of my DNA. Same for my brothers and sister. It came from mom. Name a topic and I worry about it. Lainey is right...worry accomplishes nothing. That doesn't mean we can turn off the worry meter. I can't anyway.

Pox on the house of Kyras for starting the worry thread. Now I have to worry about keeping up with the worry posts. P.S. I also have to worry about the Steelers winning the Super Bowl.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always taken the view that there is no point in worrying about something that might happen, because equally well it might not.

The time to worry about something is when it does happen, and then you are too busy dealing with the problem to have time to worry about it.

When you know something is bound to happen (like death, or retirement) then, rather than worry about it happening, work out the worst possible scenarios and the best possible solutions, so that you are prepared - Plan A or Plan B.

That said, my wife has been in the throes of severe depression for several years since she had to give up her high-pressured job because of stress, and she has not been able to find a solution to the problem of how to occupy her time. Work and family rearing were her only occupations and she never did develop outside hobbies or interests. She therefore worries about everything - what to wear, how will she cope with meeting people (even friends), preparing for holidays etc.

Me? Never enough hours in the day to do the things that interest me. Her? Too many hours in the day in which to worry. Perhaps it is the contrast between optimist and pessimist.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I got it through my thick, worrywart skull that worrying is a choice we make, I CHOOSE not to do it as much anymore. Took me a while, though, but boy did it ever cut down on amount of worrying I do and save what little sanity I had left.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Jan 4 2005, 11:37 AM
Once I got it through my thick, worrywart skull that worrying is a choice we make, I CHOOSE not to do it as much anymore. Took me a while, though, but boy did it ever cut down on amount of worrying I used to do and save what little sanity I had left.
Folks,

I believe grandmother is claiming that she is sane. Waddya think? Jerry, start a poll.

Quick Reply: Do you worry?