S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you spring/fall clean?
I do spring/fall cleaning every spring and fall.
18.52%
I do a heavy cleaning when the mood hits me.
25.93%
I do light cleaning only, hire someone for the rest.
14.81%
I try to, but never seem to get to it all.
7.41%
What the heck is spring/fall cleaning?
29.63%
No way, I've got better things to do, I hire someone for all the cleaning.
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Do you spring/fall clean? Who does the housework?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Thumbs up Do you spring/fall clean? Who does the housework?

When I was a kid, spring and fall cleaning was a big deal. I'll call it EXTREME cleaning. Closets emptied, cabinets emptied, windows washed, furniture moved, all bedding washed, curtains changed, etc.

Some of this has stayed with me. I'm no longer as extreme as my Mom was with the cleaning craze, but, I TRY to give each room a very thorough cleaning twice a year, with plenty of other cleanings in between. In the past few years, since I've had grandchildren to play with, I find I can accept dust bunnies a bit better than before. So, if I don't get to the heavy cleaning now, I'll do it later, when the spirit moves me. This season, however, I'm doing well. I only have two rooms left to do in my six room house (counting the bathroom). I want to be outside when the good weather finally shows up here.

So who's working on making their house sparkle for the spring, or do you all have better things to do?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great topic! My wife is a little OCD when it comes to cleaning...we do the extreme every 3 months or so. She spends about 1 to 3 hours every weekend cleaning...says it makes her feel calm Who am I to complain! However I am a little OCD when it comes to the kitchen so that's my room to clean, I worked in kitchens when I was younger and the lowest score I ever got from the inspectors was a 97!
Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thing lives with me, I do heavy cleaning every week

For the real traditional spring cleaning I do it sort off based upon the weather as for me spring cleaning is things like washing windows, cleaning screens and installing them, sweeping out the garage and outside stuff like that.

Seriously, if I don't brush and vacuum every week the cat hair would just plain take over my house...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

My mother was a 'clean freek' and some did rub off, especially windows. I clean our downstairs windows every month all year long, even in freezing weather. Although the majority of the house is always kept up jointly by us (mostly me since I have the time), when it comes to 'our space' my wife and I are opposites. I'm a neat freek and she's a slob! Opposites attract - right. When she does get into one of her not too frequent spring cleaning moods I'm right there with her yelling encouragement.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Mar 7 2007, 09:37 AM
My mother was a 'clean freek' and some did rub off, especially windows. I clean our downstairs windows every month all year long, even in freezing weather.
I remember window cleaning being a big deal when I was a kid. Old fashioned storm windows that attached to the house with brackets and screws! It was a chore. My own home had windows that you could yank out, and I mean you had to yank on them. Rick used to do them all twice a year.

Now we have replacement windows. They drop in for easy cleaning, so window cleaning is my job now. I clean them whenever they need it. I hate dirty windows.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

We've been trying for 10 years now to just get to the point where cleaning is the issue. The problem with century homes, is that there is no storage anywhere - few closets, smallish rooms mostly. We simply do not have the space to find a 'place for everything', so boxes of stuff exist in almost every room (hopefully away in a corner & not underfoot). My computer room ends up being the room of last resort whenever we clean for visitors - everything ends up there. We have this dream that if we ever got to the point of organization, we could maybe hire someone to clean once every 2 weeks or something. We can't do that until our stuff is out of the way, though. We're not as bad as those 'before' shots of the organization shows, but we're not far away....

Being off from work this week is helping. My paperwork is almost under control, and the computer room is halfway done. Still not sure where some of the stuff will go, but maybe space will become available after I do the basement, which is next......

I wish regular cleaning was our only problem.....

JonasM
Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by JonasM,Mar 7 2007, 10:22 AM
We're not as bad as those 'before' shots of the organization shows, but we're not far away....
Anika would look so cute on TV!

Guess you need to buy shelves, and cube-like pieces of furniture with hidden storage to solve your problem. It works for the people on TV.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM

I am a terrible housekeeper. Matt never throws anything away. I get so frustrated and overwelmed. It would be easier if we had a newer house but our original house was built in 1952. I am doing my best at keeping up with the laundry and bills. I am trying to take one room at a time but where to start? I am doing better at amount of clothing that we don't use. I have a box with a garbage bag in it in the laundry room and when I do laundry, I decide to discard or keep what has just been washed. Then I fold the washed garment and place it in the bag. GONE!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 AM

Sounds like we need those organization people to come in and help a couple of you.

I'm pretty organized. I hate clutter, and I'm not a pack rat. If it doesn't get used, out it goes.

Tonight's activity will be a bit of spring cleaning in our bedroom. My life is exciting.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Hey Lainey,
Do it naked ... now that's exciting!!

Quick Reply: Do you spring/fall clean? Who does the housework?