S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do You Remember the First Gas Crisis?

Old 04-03-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Remember the First Gas Crisis?

I got my license in the fall of 1973, and all the speed limits had just been reduced by the Federal Government to 55 MPH. The gas lines in Boston were terrible, and it was my job to drive the family cars to the gas station so that my parents didn't have to waste their time! I also recall that Nixon made the whole country maintain daylight savings time that winter in order to save energy. I liked that.

What I remember best was figuring out which gas stations were the least crowded, and at what point in the day they would open, as many had to shut down when they were out of gas.

I also remember a few stations that had gas and had no lines because they jacked the price for the normal price of about $.50 to about $.80. There was one station in Boston on Cambridge St. that charged $1, and the station owner had the guts to go on camera and explain why. I refused to go to those stations, but I figured that it was a good thing for rich people who's time was worth a lot of money. Funny how most people back then just got inscenced by it, calling him a crook and other nasty names.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:33 PM

Believe it or not, I kind of look back fondly on that time.

I was living in L.A., just starting out in the cold cruel world of earning a living for myself. I had a crappy little Datsun pickup. I parked it and rode a bicycle about 10 miles each way along the beach bike path to and from work. I was fit, tan and never waited in one gas line.

Also remember interest rates and inflation were crazy. I couldn't get a credit card for the life of me, even a gas card. That too was probably a good thing, taught me how to really budget my money.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I remember the even/odd system for buying gas.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:28 AM

In those days I was still driving (since 1963) one of the most frugal of cars, fortunately.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

I remember pumping gas at a Shell station about a block from where I worked. Prices had just reached about $1.25 a gallon. A senior citizen in plaid pants and a pastel shirt, white shoes and white belt driving a Sedan de Ville (full sized land yatch) was at the pump next to me. He looked over and lamented: "I haven't paid a $1.25 a gallon for anything since the last time I bought land in Florida"
Old 04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

The gas lines used to stretch for about 2 hours. I had an MGB. I used to turn the engine off and sit on the rear deck. When the line would move, I would push my car. I just couldn't see starting it every few minutes.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't of driving age yet, but I remember getting up with my parents at some ungodly hour of the morning and going out with them to wait "on" line (we didn't wait "in" line in New York)...

Wasn't that the same year that "The Streak" came out? Man, what a world.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:43 PM

I was wishing that I had a diesel so that I could use my home heating oil for fuel.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:55 AM

Living in St. Louis at the time. Interesting the cost was about $1.25/gal but you could get all you wanted. No lines no waiting. One of the commentators on CNN remarked that the $1.25/gal in 1973 would be over $3.00 a gallon in todays dollars
Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by dhayner
I was wishing that I had a diesel so that I could use my home heating oil for fuel.
I know of someone who did just that. He bought a Peugeot 504, and installed a pump at the top of the basement oil tank, and pumped the oil into 5 gallon cans. Boy did it stink.

Quick Reply: Do You Remember the First Gas Crisis?