S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you have a face book account?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Default Do you have a face book account?

Do you use facebook, or My Space or any of those kinds of web sites?

A few folks in NE have signed up on facebook as did I. I found my niece in NC and a friend elsewhere, but I already knew how to contact them anyway.

I worry about the lack of privacy on the internet, so I am "incognito" using a different last name, and have no personal information on the web site. You can choose who you want to be friends with.

It was pointed out to me that someone who logs on to the site, may in fact see what I look like and know my name or a few other tidbits about me, and that is small potatoes. Given that I use the internet for CC purchases and banking, the cyber thieves would probably be more interested in that information. That is probably a very valid point, but still, I'm limiting what I put out there.

These web sites just seem like another way to spend time on the internet....I didn't really need that .

What about you? Do you spend time on any of those websites?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I think I created a myspace account because I needed it to read someone elses profile. Long lost buddy who emailed me a link. Otherwise I haven't ever used it.

I am a member of several Yahoo clubs but that hardly counts any more.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't used it, but I guess LinkedIn is a biggie among the IT crowd.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

Signed up for myspace a looooong time ago and never log on. I have a facebook acct, but have only signed on a few times. I don't really see the value in spending a lot of time there since I pretty much stay connected to anyone I'm interested in being connected with.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep getting LinkedIn invitations. I ignore them. I'm not interested in telling the world about myself. It's bad enough that some of these people have my email address.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

linked in no
myspace no
aol whatever no
yahoo no
facebook no

s2ki hell yes this place is a riot

and I got my own website i dont need more than that
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Claire has friends with FaceBook accounts, and, after lots of invitations , she finally joined. Until she figured how to turn them off, we were bombarded with email notifications about "someone wrote on your wall" and so on. It seems like forum software for dummies, as far as I can see. HPH
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:07 PM
Claire has friends with FaceBook accounts, and, after lots of invitations , she finally joined. Until she figured how to turn them off, we were bombarded with email notifications about "someone wrote on your wall" and so on. It seems like forum software for dummies, as far as I can see. HPH
It started out being a place for college students to connect (I think). I don't know much about it but several of my friends yack on and on about it. They, however, do not have this wonderful bastion of friendship and killer of time.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I signed up for myspace and never used it.

Facebook seems a more adult-oriented version, and although I don't have time to go there often, it is handy for keeping in touch with family and cousins around the world.

I'm in Linked In, but I'm a techie.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:07 PM
I used a separate email addy, and turned off those notifications from my email in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Do you have a face book account?