S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you have earthquake insurance?
Yes, I lots of earthquakes where I live
6.25%
Yes, I want to be covered, just in case
12.50%
No, I'll take my chances
25.00%
No, its too expensive,
0%
No, never thought of it
25.00%
No. better things to spend $ on
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have earthquake insurance?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
There are certain things some of us do that bring peace of mind. For me spending less than what it costs for a dinner or two, to have the "what if" coverage for earthquake insurance makes me feel better.

Different strokes......
Although you don't have much to worry about in MA, you may be on to something. I found all the buzz, and the near hysteria of some, over this one single event to be rather funny.
According to the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center there have been a total of 2901 earthquakes (ranging in magnitude of anywhere between 0.1 and 7.9) in the US so far this year. In 2010, there were 8493 (within the same range) earthquakes in the US. I think I slept through most of them.

And I'm still not buying earthquake insurance.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1314407555' post='20918206
There are certain things some of us do that bring peace of mind. For me spending less than what it costs for a dinner or two, to have the "what if" coverage for earthquake insurance makes me feel better.

Different strokes......
Although you don't have much to worry about in MA, you may be on to something. I found all the buzz, and the near hysteria of some, over this one single event to be rather funny.
According to the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center there have been a total of 2901 earthquakes (ranging in magnitude of anywhere between 0.1 and 7.9) in the US so far this year. In 2010, there were 8493 (within the same range) earthquakes in the US. I think I slept through most of them.

And 'm still not buying earthquake insurance.
You just like living on the edge!!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 AM

You just like living on the edge!!
Indeed. I do enjoy living on the edge of the North America plate. That is, until the polar ice caps melt and I end up in the ocean. Only to end up being eaten by radioactive, super-intelligent sharks, or something equally horrific.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

Aren't the majority of quakes in CA and HI?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by plantpixie

Aren't the majority of quakes in CA and HI?
I haven't looked at the data, but I would suspect that the west coast of the US and Hawaii are more geologically active. The area of the Hawaiian Islands tends to be more active, as that chain of islands was created by "hot spots" within the asthenosphere (mantle) = convection currents within the asthenosphere popping through weak spots in the lithosphere (crust) to form volcanoes, which in turn form islands.
As the lithosphere continues to drift away from those convection currents within the asthenosphere, the volcanoes - having lost their magma supply - eventually cool and go extinct.

And most of CA's geological activity stems from the San Andreas Fault. Relatively, the North America plate, on which most of CA is situated, is moving in a southeast direction. And the Pacific plate, which is to the west of the NA plate and on which the western part of CA is situated, is moving in a northwest direction.

With all that said, I'm guessing that a simple "Yes" to your question probably would have sufficed.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Not for the squeamish...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
Not for the squeamish...

See why I have earthquake insurance? Go ahead and laugh at me now.

As my father in law used to say. Insurance is a bet. You're betting it will happen, they are betting it won't. "They" usually win, but not always..........

Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

An earth movement endorsement could be more useful than you think, covering things like subsidence, landslides, mudslides and sink holes. Look at the terms carefully and decide if the risks covered are things you might face in your area.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM

See why I have earthquake insurance? Go ahead and laugh at me now.
I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I bet you even have pterodactyl insurance. One just never knows.

Quick Reply: Do you have earthquake insurance?