S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Did you think you'd keep it this long?

Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

I didn't think I'd be so attached to the S that I'd want to keep it for years, years, years. I love new cars and I have a hard time not getting "new car fever". However, I guess I'm kind of hooked on the S and I like the '01 model even though the back window is plastic and the radio, etc. isn't all that great. Since the car is still unique and I enjoy this community so much, I guess I enjoy it much more than I've enjoyed any car I've ever owned. I've never bought a car thinking I'd keep it for more than a few years, but I'll probably keep this one as long as I can get in/out of it. I still find myself looking longingly at new things that emerge on the horizon, but so far nothing has come out that I'd give up the S for. I mentioned some time back that I even went out and got a daily driver for rain/winter months, so the S is so important that I've gotten a second set of wheels for myself. Its the first time in my vintage life that I've had two cars for just me. I can blame the love of the S for that.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I will keep mine unless Honda comes out with a next generation S2000. If thats the case i will have to look long and hard at that.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jan 10 2006, 02:59 AM
I'm like Barry - f-o-r-e-v-e-r!! I kept the car I had before this (Mercedes 240D) twenty years until I traded it for the Perkymobile. It was never going to wear out, but I wanted another ragtop. What a great car!!
You went from a 240D to an S2000?

The difference in the fun-to-drive quotient must have been mind blowing. Aren't the 240D's 0-60 times influenced by the tides?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM

Like Frank b, it's a bit of a stretch to run two cars just for me as well. It goes without saying that I love the car and I'd planned to keep her until 2027 for that meet that Rob keeps talking about. However, I don't drive the S enough to justify the expense of keeping it and I'm reluctant to take it out and park it with crime being what it is in my area.

My '92 Civic should be ready to give up the ghost with 200k on her anytime now. I'll be coming up on decision time next year. Smart money says get rid of the S and the Civic, buy an Accord but I've never been accused of being too smart. Can't imagine life without you guys either. Decisions, decisions..... (I'm always open to suggestions however) I think I know what I'm going to do though.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Oh, Lawd, G-rod. I guess if you get an accord, we'll have meets with you put-put-puting along at the back of the pack in an accord, wearing your track helmet.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 10 2006, 12:10 PM
Oh, Lawd, G-rod. I guess if you get an accord, we'll have meets with you put-put-puting along at the back of the pack in an accord, wearing your track helmet.
Leave it to my sweet Valentine to think that I'd still be welcome at the meets in my Accord. Somebody tell Jonas I need my helmet back.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Honey, you'd be welcome at our meets if you were driving a radio flyer wagon. (did I say that?? can't yall just see it now???)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Yep, I can see it. She'd still be ing, too.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Theres' nothing like first love...conmfortably middle aged, this is my first sports car, one that I longed for since I rode around in a buddy's '74 B in HS '76(Still running, w/ a Rover V-8 transplant).

Ordering the car on 9/10 the eve of 9/11, and getting the car shortly thereafter for my commute out to LI. Seeing the still burning smoke on the Whitestone truly affected me. I had the chance to cancel my order after the market tanked; however I thought of all those dreams extinguished in those horrible moments...how many dreams included one day of getting a roadster (I know, there surely are more important priorities)? Joi de vive, it's something so many don't experience in this life for too many reasons.

The S has been a joy, and I hope to keep it till I can't circumstantially keep it. If it was totaled, I'd get an '03, last of the 9K AP1.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:38 AM

This thread is making me very sad....

Quick Reply: Did you think you'd keep it this long?