S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Did you think you'd keep it this long?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default Did you think you'd keep it this long?

Did you really think that you'd keep your S this long when you bought it?

I wasn't sure and when I signed my 3 year lease, I half expected that at the end I'd give it back. Now its 3 1/2 half years since I got it. I bought it out of lease at about 2 1/2 years, and I can't imagine not owning it or ever selling it.

Very shortly after I first got my S I realized that I'd want to keep it forever. As most of you know, to this day I'm sorry that I ever sold my MGB or my MG-TD. I'm determined not to make the same mistake with my S. Still, it had been a long time since I'd owned a sportscar, and when I signed on the line I really didn't know if I'd still have the same passion for owning one.

How about you? When you first bought it did you really think you'd own it this long? Did you really think that you'd become so passionate about a car? When did it steal your heart?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely no doubt about it. I knew when we decided to buy the car that I'd never sell it, and that feeling has only grown stronger. Hilly feels the same way, and she will never sell it either, no matter what.

If it breaks, we'll fix it. If it's destroyed in an accident (perish the thought!!!) we'll replace it.

This car is special to me, it's been truly a dream come true and I don't dispose of dreams. Bad luck, ya know.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I test drove so many cars before I bought the S that I knew I was going to keep it for a long time. But I must admit, the community I met here on tis site, both Vintage and New England, makes it unthinkable that I would ever leave. (sorry if that disapoints some of you.)
Old 01-09-2006, 05:25 PM

I have only had mine since last October. Sold a Porsche Carrera to buy the Honda. I still have Porsche pangs, but I must admit I would not sell my new baby. One day I hope to have another P-car, but having made the mistake once, I will not sell a great car to purchase another one. BTW, I bought the Honda mainly for safety reasons, and have zero regrets. What a great car!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:32 PM

I always buy a car with the intention of keeping it until it won't go any more. My '91 Jeep Wrangler has been surprisingly trouble free given it's reputation. My '97 Chevy pickup, bought new, has lived up, or down, to it's Consumer Digest rating of unreliable. It is kept alive with cash infusions from time to time.

I intend to keep the S for at least another ten years.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jan 9 2006, 08:21 PM
But I must admit, the community I met here on tis site, both Vintage and New England, makes it unthinkable that I would ever leave. (sorry if that disapoints some of you.)
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

I leased my Berlina black on black 00 in 12/99. Bought out of the lease. At 99K miles, it was time. I'm keeping my Laguna blue pearl for awhile. I love it!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a bit of a stretch for me to own and maintain two cars just for myself. This is the "real" sports car I've always wanted and I'll keep it as long as I'm able. Reading this forum is one of the main factors that convinced me to get the S and participating here is one major reason to keep it. There's also driving it, of course.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forever.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM

I've always believed in driving my cars until they give me a good reason to get rid of them. My last sports car was 10 years old when I wrecked it. I put far fewer miles per year on the S than I did on that one, so the S may have to put up with me for another 15-20 years.

Quick Reply: Did you think you'd keep it this long?