S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Do you carry cash?
I use debit and credit cards for everything, carry very little cash
46.58%
I use only cash
6.85%
A little bit of both
35.62%
I carry no cash, gets embarrassing at times
5.48%
I need no cash, Lainey and Rick keep me supplied....
5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Debit card, credit card or cash

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use cash and credit cards, the cash is mostly for wife and kids... don't trust them with plastic.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Generally cash for things under $10, and a credit card for everything else. I don't like debit cards. I prefer using my credit card to live off of the bank's money until the end of the month.

Yesterday I had the misfortune of being in line behind a woman who wanted to write a check for her groceries. Talk about old school! I hadn't experienced that for a long time.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:37 PM

plastic almost always unless I'm on a trip or going to a place that might not take cards.
I only see cash on birthdays or holidays.
The electronic trail makes it incredibly easy to see where my money goes and my card is always in my wallet.
I have a bad habit of leaving cash in a pocket or on the counter, I've washed more money than I've probably spent.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler,Sep 19 2007, 04:32 PM
Generally cash for things under $10, and a credit card for everything else. I don't like debit cards. I prefer using my credit card to live off of the bank's money until the end of the month.

Yesterday I had the misfortune of being in line behind a woman who wanted to write a check for her groceries. Talk about old school! I hadn't experienced that for a long time.
What I really love is that they don't even start filling out the check until the cashier is finished ringing up the entire order! Everything except the amount could be filled in before they ever get to the check-out, but they seem to think either the date, the name of the store, or their own name will change during that period. This drives me absolutely nuts!!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 1,660 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Sep 18 2007, 11:41 PM
Btw, here's REAL DEAL that only works here in SE Peeay and some parts of Zippyland (south NJ):
Jer,

Don't forget, we here in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) also have Wawa's.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 PM

Pretty much < $10 = cash.
I feel kinda silly using my credit card for a $1 item..

What I don't get is checks... What purpose do they serve
at stores these days?

Edit: aha! I see some others already posted about this! Fill your check out before you get to the register!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 AM

Interesting you bring this up. My wife and I were just talking about this same topic. When I first started working you went to the finance office and picked up a sizeable cash advance. Upon return you submitted an expense report (with receipts) and unused cash or check.
Up until recently I did a lot of travel for business. Today I can leave on a 5 day cross country trip with less than $40 in my pocket. Everything is on plastic or if I need some cash it is as close as the nearest ATM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Sep 19 2007, 02:57 AM
^ Yes, it's kind of ironic that the better you are about paying things off, the lower your credit rating is. Mine is in the upper 700s, also.
That's not true. I always pay off my Amex and CapitalOne cards each month and my credit rating is about as high as it can get, within twenty points of the max. A day does not go by where I don't get an offer to open a credit card account from some bank.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Starbrd,Oct 6 2007, 12:50 PM
That's not true. I always pay off my Amex and CapitalOne cards each month and my credit rating is about as high as it can get, within twenty points of the max. A day does not go by where I don't get an offer to open a credit card account from some bank.
Same here. I haven't missed a payment (except one or two) over the past 10 years, and my score is almost as high as it can be.

I think it's actually having credit and using it that matters, not that you ever actually pay interest.

JonasM
Old 10-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 2,925 Likes on 1,728 Posts

^ That makes sense...perhaps my credit union guy expressed it wrong. Anywho, I'm satisfied with my score. I got a line of credit for the kitchen renovation and just paid that off. Yay!

Quick Reply: Debit card, credit card or cash