S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Curious about Easter & Christians

Old 04-08-2007, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about Easter & Christians

I don't want to start a debate on religion nor hear a lot of preaching, but as an atheist I'm curious about which is the more important to the Christian religions -- Easter or Christmas (I recognize they are both important, but which is MORE so?). I've heard both described as the most important event in Christianity. So what do you think. And again, please don't preach at me.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I think it's one of those; which came first, the chicken or the egg, type of questions.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Easter
Old 04-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Easter is the more religious holiday. I think Christmas is more popular because of the season and what it has become.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 822 Likes on 489 Posts

Christmas was the uber holiday to me until several years ago. Now I wish I could just not EVEN be home at that season for many reasons. It has become an overcommercialized time that disappoints me terribly. I did enjoy last year's Christmas season because we hosted several get-togethers with our friends and invited all of our neighbors over for an open house and it was simply WONDERFUL to just share time with some wonderful folks. (I'm truly thankful for this and wish all my S2k friends could have been here -- for once my house was neat and totally clean) .

Easter: well, its become more important because I cook like crazy and prepare nice desserts and a really nice luncheon for my husband and daughter. When she leaves the house, it'll be a little lower-key, but I hope to be able to continue doing this for +1. I do NOT go to church on Easter. After Jim leaves for church, I have my own private time of prayer and thanks, meditate a bit and then prepare our feast. I do not choose to "worship" with the once a year folks who show up as if it is the only time it is good to pause and reflect. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I do not answer to those people. I answer to myself and this is my choice. I am very spiritual, but not especially religious. I love it when Jim and I worship and center on prayer together, but I have no idea who/what his prayers are and he really can never know mine. That's my choice. I meditate, give thanks and try to live my life as if each day were the last, give as much of myself and my good fortune as I can and do not judge those who see thinks differently from me. That's how I choose to celebrate every day, not just two days a year.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM

Easter is the most holy of all Holidays in the Catholic religion. Christmas is high up there but Easter is the number one.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Both are good excuses to eat ,drink,and Party...
Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Apr 8 2007, 03:56 PM
Both are good excuses to eat ,drink,and Party...
Amen.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:39 PM

By all Christian logic, that would have to be Easter. Without Easter having profound meaning, Christmas would not be relevant.

Val: Praying per se' is a simple matter for me; I pray that everybody gets exactly and precisely what they deserve.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think either of them is more important than the other. I think both have been so over-commertialized that they aren't viewed as what they are really about.

I still think it is funny that people who don't believe in a religion that believes in Jesus will close their shops or not go to work.

Quick Reply: Curious about Easter & Christians