S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cruise night

Old 06-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Default Cruise night

Ever been to a Cruise Night? I've been going to them for years. I try to get to a couple every summer. Liz works in the library every Tuesday evening and the local Cruise Night is Tuesday evening, so I go. Its pretty convenient. The Cruise Night is in a local Home Depot shopping center lot and there's a Burger King there too. So, I can have dinner, look at the cars and if I get bored go into Home Depot and look at the wrenches.

Mostly the cars are hot rodded cars from the 30's, some restored cars from the 40s and a lot of muscle cars from the 60s (GTSs, Corvettes and etc). I walk around and look, and sometimes I talk to the owners. Once in a while someone comes in an old A C Cobra or some other sports cars, but for the most part, Cruise Night is American Iron. I'm not a big fan of American Iron, but it's fun to look at the old cars.

Much to my surprise, tonight was a little different. Tonight there were a few sports cars. One was a brand new Mazda Miata in "Ceramic" color. It was the first time I've seen the new Miata, and I have to admit that the car is even more beautiful in person than it is in the pictures. The owner and I talked for about 15 minutes before he had to leave.

Next, I stumbled upon a Porsche 911. The owner and his son were sitting in front. The car was a 2006, in a color much like "Silverstone" and it was absolutely beautiful. He had the top down. We talked for the better part of 1/2 hour, and before I left I was invited to bring my S2000 to next week's Cruise Night.

I think I will. The three of us will probably park next to each other and have our own little sports corner. I bet some of the Corvettes join us. I think it's going to be fun.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Should be lots of fun! I'm thinking of going to Cars and Coffee in Great Falls this Sat. Haven't been in quite awhile. Really high-end stuff there with lots of variety. Some local peeps go with their S2000s. Here's a YouTube video from last week.

https://youtu.be/Go_IpplMqvQ
Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^Wow!
Levi
Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Good for you Rob. I'll bet you will have a whole sports car contingency at the meet before long.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 AM

Received 792 Likes on 534 Posts

We have quite a few of these in our area. They are a lot of fun, I even brought the Jeep one time as there are several Jeeps there including a vintage 1942 army Jeep with a 50 cal machine gun mounted on the back. The owner says he drives slow but never has any road rage issues as the gun faces the back of the Jeep.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice story Rob and I also love the cruise nights and similar club events. I belong to the local Philly area MOPAR club, but my Dodge Dart stays at our Gettysburg area cottage....so have never gone to their cruise nights. Central PA near the cottage is "car crazy territory" and there is a vintage event almost every weekend...sometimes more than one. They are always fun and I do get to polish up the '68 Dart before Kathy and I drive to it...usually getting a country drive as part of the deal

On Father's Day, I did go to the Historic Car Club of PA main event about an hour away in Chester County PA. The car show was in a shopping center parking lot on a Sunday and it was HUGE...an annual event and my first time to attend. There must have been 200 cars on display and included almost any marque/ age/ type of vehicle (some cool trucks including a 1931 MAIL TRUCK built on a Model A chassis). People are always very friendly and willing to tell you about "their baby". In addition to the usual Road Runners, Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes, there were lots of cool hot rods. Not too many MOPAR examples and absolutely NO cars from Studebaker or AMC. There WERE a few sports cars including a 355 "bathtub" Porsche; newer Porsche and Jaguars; a vintage JENSEN; and a few Miatas.

I did see a SPA yellow S2000 cruising thru the display, and greeting some friends en route. My GSW was a little dirty and it's not is "show" condition, so I was parked around the corner
Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 5,799 Likes on 3,418 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
Nice story Rob and I also love the cruise nights and similar club events. I belong to the local Philly area MOPAR club, but my Dodge Dart stays at our Gettysburg area cottage....so have never gone to their cruise nights. Central PA near the cottage is "car crazy territory" and there is a vintage event almost every weekend...sometimes more than one. They are always fun and I do get to polish up the '68 Dart before Kathy and I drive to it...usually getting a country drive as part of the deal

On Father's Day, I did go to the Historic Car Club of PA main event about an hour away in Chester County PA. The car show was in a shopping center parking lot on a Sunday and it was HUGE...an annual event and my first time to attend. There must have been 200 cars on display and included almost any marque/ age/ type of vehicle (some cool trucks including a 1931 MAIL TRUCK built on a Model A chassis). People are always very friendly and willing to tell you about "their baby". In addition to the usual Road Runners, Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes, there were lots of cool hot rods. Not too many MOPAR examples and absolutely NO cars from Studebaker or AMC. There WERE a few sports cars including a 355 "bathtub" Porsche; newer Porsche and Jaguars; a vintage JENSEN; and a few Miatas.

I did see a SPA yellow S2000 cruising thru the display, and greeting some friends en route. My GSW was a little dirty and it's not is "show" condition, so I was parked around the corner
Jer, that would be 356 bathtub!
Old 06-24-2016, 02:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,291 Likes on 996 Posts

We have the Montrose Car Show every 4th of July weekend. They close off streets and get about 550 cars. Some real beauties. We always have early lunch at 11 at Joselito's, our favorite Mexican restaurant. We sit outside in their patio with our dogs right up close to the old time alcohol dragsters, usually 8 or 10 of them. They fire them up periodically. They really make a racquet.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Jer, that would be 356 bathtub!
stubby fingers this time vs. lack of knowledge (my usual excuse).

why not post something about Rob's good topic...in stead of rabble-rousing if you want to do that, just move to Brexit...

PS: please correct Raptor's spelling of racket and tell him that a racquet is used in tennis
Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never been into cruise nights. Typically, I'd rather be enjoying my own car at an autocross or some sort of driving event. There is a speed shop in town that is doing a monthly "Cars and Coffee" that I do attend occasionally. I enjoy it because it is made up of many of my SCCA and BMW Club friends and the cars are mostly modded track cars and not show cars. Much more interesting to me to see a car that is modded and used than another pristine restored muscle car. The shop is always open with their latest projects on display. Occasionally, they bring in a guest speaker or show a racing movie on the shop wall.

Quick Reply: Cruise night