S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Credit card rip off

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Credit card rip off

For longer then I can remember we've had a VISA account with our local credit union and never had a single problem until a few months ago when someone using my wife's name & number from our joint account began a one night spending spree. VISA caught it immediately. However, since then we've had a few more screw ups by the credit union/VISA in getting new cards.

In the meantime we starting charging regular purchases on a Citi bank card obtained through Shell that we previously used for just gasoline.

This has been an interesting experience. We always pay the full amount. Last month we sent in the full amount and although it was postmarked before the due date it arrived late according to them. We got hit with a heafty interest charge since we'd made a couple large purchases that month. OK, live and learn. So we were paying special attention this month. The statement arrives on July 31 and is due Aug 12. Allowing for slow mail service this means you have to pay it with a week or so. That's a nice gotcha. Then we see an interest charge on this statement. I called and questioned it and am told that according to 'our terms' once late you are charged interest for 'two' months even though you only missed the payment cutoff once. What kinda crap is that. I told them to take a picture of the payment we just sent because it will be the last time I use that card.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

an awful lot of banks are scum sucking bottom dwellers.

we have a half dozen or so cars, in part so we can let a card 'rest' if necessary to avoid that sort of event.
yep it's a PITA.

we've found chase to be excellent to work with.
citibank,MBNA was Ok.

I wouldn't touch CapitolOne with a ten foot pole.
I had a 6 month battle with them on a payment one time.
paid off an account in full.
they never credited account for payment, until we supplied them with photocopy of canceled check.
Then they tried to get us to pay the 4 months interest between the time we paid it and they time they finally got around to crediting the original payment.
"what's in your wallet?" their hand trying to take all of your money.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

You should ask them to waive any fees you think are B.S. I've had a Citi visa for years, and even when I am late (very rare) one call wipes out the fee. They want your business, so give them a chance. The late fee can be $35.00 no matter the balance, then you add the computed interest on top of that, that's B.S.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Visa pulled the old "we didn't get your payment in time" stunt on me. When I got the canceled check back it was deposited before my due date. You should have seen them eating crow trying to explain their way out of that.

They are just like politicians...they are all crooked!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't use the snail mail. Pay it through your bank. I always send my payment a week ahead. I get a reference number as soon as I set it up in my account and I receive the processed within one day. I pay all my bills this way and have never had a problem with a late fee.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

I just did some research on Consumers Reports. In general they rank credit union issued cards at the top and banks at the bottom, with CapitalOne near the lowest. Of the more common known, American Express and Discover were rated good for resolution of issues (better than aveage).

I'm going back to using my credit union VISA card; I spoke with them today and they said the confusion over issuing join cards at different times was resolved.

I think I will see when the Citi posted our payment vs when we mailed it and maybe pull their chain a little. I still can't get over them charging two mo's interest for a full payment being rec'd a day or two late. "scum sucking bottom dwellers" sums it up very well.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Shell card (which I use only for gas), and like you I've found that they're pretty slippery. They changed the due date one cycle, so I was a day late and got smacked with an interest charge; then they changed the format of the statement so that the balance was in the fine print and the minimum payment (which was not a round number) was in big print. If it weren't so convenient -- they have lots of stations here and in Colorado -- I'd cut it up. HPH
Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Aug 4 2008, 01:32 PM
Don't use the snail mail. Pay it through your bank.
Routine monthly stuff is set up that way. Previously we always paid cash for gasoline. When the prices double the station we use was forced to go to prepay (which I hate), so it became easier to use the Shell card. With the price of gas it became even easier! We never used the card for any non-gas purchases until the last couple months.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a mortgage company and get to see and hear all the stories. NEVER EVER have a Citi anything or a Cap One. They will pull the "payment not in on time" or "your credit scores fell below XXX" or "you had a late payment at XX" and raise your interest rate to a 30% default rate quicker than anyone else.

They are also the slowest and least willing to correct misteaks.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Dave, I pay 90% of my bills online. I believe that almost all banks allow for direct transfers. This allows you to pay them on the date which it is due, and have a printed receipt with their authorization on it.
Chase has tried very hard to follow the lead of AMEX (I know one of their execs )
Besides Citi and Cap One, Bank of America rates real low on my list.

Quick Reply: Credit card rip off