S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Considering going back to stock exhaust after all these years

Old 05-17-2016 | 03:54 AM

I have had two different expensive aftermarket exhausts on my car. Pretty much hated them both for the drone. I would go back to stock except that I'm using the car primarily for autocross and enjoy the extra kick from the exhaust and high flow cat.
Old 05-17-2016 | 04:31 AM
Community Organizer

No shame in that NJTom.

Don't stay away so long this time. Visit more often.
Old 05-17-2016 | 07:16 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. It seems like the sensible thing to do. I'll put the CT exhaust away for future use.

I've done many an auto-x and back road driving with that exhaust. I'm sure their will be times that I will miss it but if it means we use the car more than it will certainly be worth it.

I think I just needed to say it out loud here with some other Vints.

-- Tom
Old 05-17-2016 | 09:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NJTom2000
Haven't posted on S2Ki in forever. So Hey! What's new?

16+ years of owning my s2000 now. I've had a Comptech dual exhaust on the car for about 15 years. I'm seriously considering switching back to the stock exhaust that has been sitting in my garage all these years. I feel like this might be the only place where I can get some support for doing this. It used to just be my wife that would complain about how loud the car is, but to be honest I'm kind of tired of it too.

I think we'll get more use and enjoyment out of the car if we switch back. Help me out fellow Vintage Owners. Has anyone switched back to the stock exhaust? Tell me it is going to be OK.

-- NJTom - 43 years old
67K original miles on my MY00
Tom! How the heck are you?
I have actually been considering the same. I am using a Comptech as well (my third exhaust), but the boom of it is getting to be a bit much.
Wow, great to see you post.
Old 05-17-2016 | 05:33 PM
20 Year Member

I had a Borla cat back system on our former Ford "Exploder" (one of only two four door XLT models that I ever saw with a five speed. I used to get a kick out of watching the reactions of other "Motor Heads" when I shifted it). But I have to state that at 70+ MPH with a tail wind the drone on a long trip did get a bit old). I researched several cat back systems for our S because I would have liked a different exhaust note that the "sewing machine" note of the stock exhaust. But, in the end, I could not justify the expense because I did not find an after market system that had a significant improvement over what the Honda engineers came up with to begin with the stock system. I sent E-mails to several companies that sell cat back systems and asked specific questions about where their claimed improvements were realized in the torque curve and never got a satisfactory answer. So, in the end I stayed with the stock exhaust. Honda did a great job from the beginning, with their world record of producing 120 HP per liter for a normally aspirated engine.
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:55 PM
20 Year Member

When I sold my 2000 Paulie and I took off the SS exhaust which he bought from me and we put the stock exhaust back on. When I got my 04 I left it stock.
Old 05-17-2016 | 10:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I have a Comptech,with a test pipe.
Of course,I,m still a young kid...
Old 05-18-2016 | 05:35 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Originally Posted by tof' timestamp='1463443973' post='23968522
I always had the stock exhaust on my S2000. From time to time I would hear an aftermarket exhaust at meets that I really liked, in the end I always ended up keeping and enjoying the stocker.
X2
Levi

X3 sort of. I never really got all that enamored with the aftermarket exhausts.
Stock worked and was really quiet when I wanted it to be.
no need to look up from your iphone officer, nothing to see here.
Old 05-18-2016 | 09:01 PM
20 Year Member

I never got excited about "wheels" or "exhausts" when it came to aftermarket items . . . not my thing. When it came to roll bars, tires, camber, caster, and things that matter - that was of way more importance.
Old 05-19-2016 | 09:21 AM
tof
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Dave, we know you secretly use cut springs and wheel spacers to get that hellaflush stance on your MG.

But seriously, if more drivers with less experience took heed of your approach, they would be better drivers, safer drivers, and would probably enjoy spirited driving more. Alas, you can't show off your new sway bars at Sonic on Friday nights. So it's probably not gonna happen.

Quick Reply: Considering going back to stock exhaust after all these years