S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Computer (E-Mail) Help Please!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer (E-Mail) Help Please!

We have 6 computers hooked up on our home wireless network. 4 use Outlook or Outlook Express for mail and 2 are Macs. For the past week or so, we've been having e-mail problems. On the Outlook machines, it's an error message that flashes away too fast to read it all, but something about timing out. On the Macs, it's the perpetual "put your password in here" window that shows up every time the machine tries to check for mail ad that stupid bouncing postage stamp that I'd like to take a ball peen hammer to. I would think since we're having the problem on 4 e-mail accounts on 6 computers on 3 mail programs, it would point to the problem being with Comcast. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes this morning, I got an incredibly rude bitch that said if web mail worked, then they had no problem and the problem had to be with our e-mail programs. She didn't get the joke that it would be an amazing coincidence for so many different things to fail at once. After a somewhat ugly exchange, in order to keep from stroking out I hung up.

So, does anyone have any idea of what the real problem could be or how to maybe fix it?

thanks,
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

The fact that their web mail service is working does not necessarily mean the problem isn't at their end. It could be a problem with their email server comminicating to your email clients.

I agree that you are right to suspect a problem at their end since the problem happens on several machines at your end.

I hate the service (or anti-service) offered by most Internet Service Providers these days. A good customer service person would have ASSUMED the problem was at their end until everything had been checked out. Unfortunately too many service people think they can diagnose such problems without actually having the skills to do so. Beyond that, the service person should have worked with you until the problem was identified regardless of which end was causing it.

I don't blame you for ranting.

The good news is: If the problem is at their end it will probably affect other users and as a result will get fixed in the next day or two. (One can hope.)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks, but the "how to fix it" was the most important part of the rant. Any ideas?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Unfortunately I am not even close to being an expert at email protocols. was just trying to be sympathetic.

The only advice I could offer that would be the least bit useful is to reboot all the machines and your cable modem and router and try again...about what you'd expect from the Comcast help desk. You might call them back, suffer from the on hold period, then ask to speak to a shift supervisor.

I
Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Martha, please call 215-286-1700 and ask for the "Office of the Chairman". When you get someone on the phone explain the problem, and be sure to tell them that you are very unhappy with the service that you have gotten.
They might actually try to help.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Is Comcast your email provider or if not who?

If it is Comcast try accessing your email account from their home page.

That's all I've got for now.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes, Comcast is. And yes, accessing web mail works. So why won't their mail server get the mail to either Outlook, Outlook Explorer or whatever Mac's e-mail program is? Using web mail is a giant pain in the back side.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Oh, and yes, I did have this same issue with them in the past. At the time I didn't use them as my primary email supplier, so it really only affected spam. Office of the Chairman. (This is a little secret that I used a lot with them when they provided crap service, which come to think of it was anytime I needed help.)
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks. That may be tomorrow's project. The heart has undergone enough stress already for one day and I don't think I could take them on now.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,646 Posts

I have comcast and yes they suck.
I use eudora as a pop mail client.
I have been having timeouts, too many server connections,failed login,disconnect by remote server etc etc etc.

and of course if you call they say oh we don't support eudora.

Quick Reply: Computer (E-Mail) Help Please!