S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

College search for the not so little ones?

Old 05-15-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a grad of Tufts University, in Massachusetts. I'm a big fan of my ole alma mater. My kids are young, but I hope they'll show an interest down the road.

My own experience was a brief stint at the US Air Force Academy (because my dad thought I needed discipline ), and then a welcome change to go to Tufts in the middle of my freshman year. If you have any ?'s about Tufts, PM me.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

There is a "College Fair" this Sunday, 5/22/05 at the Jacob Javits Exhibition Center in New York City. It might be worth visiting for anyone in the tri-state area whose children are going to be looking at schools.

We're going.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,May 15 2005, 02:17 PM
I'm a grad of Tufts University, in Massachusetts. I'm a big fan of my ole alma mater. ....
Tufts is a good choice in that non-typical 'mid-sized' category, but I understand that it's gotten very competitive. I'ts a nice combination of suburban location with proximity to Boston.

I've heard a lot of good things about Rutgers, which is part of a group called 'the Public Ivies'. Excellent reputation/ cheaper rates

No one has mentioned the many excellent colleges in Central Peeay (Bucknell, Dickinson & Gettysburg) and Eastern Peeay (Lehigh in Bethlehem, Muhlenberg- ??town, Franklin & Marshall- Lancaster).

Drexel is a good choice...especially for design (architecture/interior design) and engineering. Another lesser known interesting choice is Philadelphia University (formerly called College of Textiles & Science). Ursinus is another one that's close to Philly but in a small town about 20 miles to the NE.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smyroad,May 12 2005, 03:58 PM
Any sage advice form those that have gone before?

Our girls were both in college at the same time.... a year apart. One took advantage of Drexel's co-op program to 'supplement' the cost, the other took on duties as an RA at the University of Delaware.

Both are great schools.... but because I'm not a big fan of West Philly neighborhoods, I always preferred Delaware. Very diverse endowed school (not the 'state' school for Delaware) with an outstanding college environment.

Most important thing is whether or not a youngster has a true direction and motivation BEFORE going to school. If not, and most college bound kids don't, then the more diverse the school they go to... the better. Otherwise there is a better than average chance of having to transfer, which usually means lost credits.

For instance, co-op Drexel operates on a 'quarter' system (instead of semester). Two quarters attending classes, then two quarters working co-op in your field. Great if the ultimate degree says "Drexel" on it.... but if you decide to transfer to another college, MOST will not transfer Drexel's credits on a 1 for 1 basis (because they consider their credits to be more substantial, since they are earned in a longer semester of study). End result.... if you transfer from a school like Drexel, you are probably going to go to school for an extra semester... or year.

Good luck.... both to you and the college bound
Old 05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by canberra,May 19 2005, 03:35 PM
.....Delaware. Very diverse endowed school (not the 'state' school for Delaware) with an outstanding college environment.
Several of our friends have also had a good experience with the Univ of Delaware....although it wouldn't suit a kid who wants to be in an urban environmt. Newark is a large community, but mostly college-related
Old 05-20-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the drexel info!

We go tomorrow for the open house. A program that offers hands on co-op experience might help motivate him when the course work is getting him down. He seemed very interested when some of the students at UMBC mentioned that they work as EMT's to get hands on experience.

Of course I might just be projecting....
After two years at UMD EE program, I was starting to doubt my choice of engineering. Thanks to a friend, I took a part time job in my field which gave me a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:28 AM

Here is the process we went through with our kids.

First we start with "What do you like to do" or "What are you good at". From that, we try to choose a major. If there is no specific major, we still try to narrow it down to "liberal art" or "science" or some such. Many high school students don't know what they want to do, so they enter college with an "Undeclared" major. But eventually they must still choose by their Junior year in college. So try to channel their interests as much as possible up front.

Once we have the major down, then the kid talks to all his friends, school counselors, do research on his/her own as to which school offered a good programs in that major. This will end up being a large list of schools. From that, we weed out the ones that are not likely due to one reason or another (cost, location, reputation, student life, and so on).

Then the kid applies to the colleges that are still on the list. After that, if he/she is accepted, then we visit the campus and further evaluate the cost and living situations. And the kid picks the one he/she likes the best and enroll.

That's it. Very simple and not stressful at all.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts

That is an excellent road map for college bound students and their parents. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,May 20 2005, 03:28 PM
Here is the process we went through with our kids.

First we start with "What do you like to do" or "What are you good at". From that, we try to choose a major. If there is no specific major, we still try to narrow it down to "liberal art" or "science" or some such. Many high school students don't know what they want to do, so they enter college with an "Undeclared" major. But eventually they must still choose by their Junior year in college. So try to channel their interests as much as possible up front.

Once we have the major down, then the kid talks to all his friends, school counselors, do research on his/her own as to which school offered a good programs in that major. This will end up being a large list of schools. From that, we weed out the ones that are not likely due to one reason or another (cost, location, reputation, student life, and so on).

Then the kid applies to the colleges that are still on the list. After that, if he/she is accepted, then we visit the campus and further evaluate the cost and living situations. And the kid picks the one he/she likes the best and enroll.

That's it. Very simple and not stressful at all.
Our problem with that approach is that our son has yet to find a subject that he wants to "wrap his arms around". Try as we might to narrow it down, we still feel that he needs to start in a college of Liberal Arts and Sciences. That said, we can't really elliminate many based on major or course of study.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:35 AM

Another piece of advice that we got was to visit the different types of campuses. Large,/Medium, Small and Urban Campuses. After that you don't have to visit every school you are applying to since campus life will be similar to others like it.

Drexel offers an awesome academic experience. Applying what you learn is integral to the entire school experience. Undergrads can are exposed to some very leading edge stuff.

Campus life seems to be lacking though. Even though they were still in session, not much was going on for the students. I didn't even see fliers about upcoming events in the student union.

The first two parts of the day were well done.

First, an event in the gym where all of the departments had tables and you could wander around and ask questions.

Second, we were broken up in to large groups based on the school of your major (Arts and Sciences for us) and the departments heads gave very good descriptions of what was going on in each of the major areas.

third, the campus tour was poorly done. We road on the campus busses while a student talked about what we passed by. Every other campus tour was a walking tour and we learned much more about the academic and student life.

Quick Reply: College search for the not so little ones?